PDA

View Full Version : Honda Insight... Insight.. :)

Becciasm
07-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Ladies and Gents,

I've got a 2010 Crystal Black Pearl Honda Insight this weekend. Looking to do a full paint correction and detail.

Does anyone have any 'insight' on how to best handle this vehicle? From what I've been told, Honda clears, in general are notoriously soft.

Below are some pictures of the dirty car. The dirt level and scratches are typical of every panel:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5xfngo9rdPc/Uc3t3PBrHRI/AAAAAAAAEjs/ez9xpNqasDg/w955-h573-no/0628131610f.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NJvPt79YhZQ/Uc3uCWqXAaI/AAAAAAAAEkQ/W6GEzX-9jhU/w955-h573-no/0628131611b.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Nc_h6-PXMDY/Uc3t-83WOKI/AAAAAAAAEj4/GBNIdeYFf5Q/w955-h573-no/0628131611.jpg

Until the test spot, I won't know for sure what I'll need, but I would like some experienced suggestions to start with to reduce my time.

GG 6", 3"

I have LC orange, white, black, blue, red flat pads and ccs pads.

I have 105 (which i don't think I'll need), Fixer (possibly), XMT #3, #1, car-brite compounds and polishes.

I'm planning on following the polishing step with blacklight then v7, final sealing with DP Poli-Coat for protection, possibly 845 instead of poli-coat.

This car does not see a wash very often, and the budget is not there for coatings.

Setec Astronomy
07-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Klasse Act has one of these, I'm sure he'll chime in shortly.

Becciasm
07-18-2013, 10:01 AM

I've actually been talking to him :)

Just thought I'd throw it out to the AH community as well!

Sent from my VS840 4G using AG Online

Becciasm
07-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Bump for the lunch crowd

JSou
07-18-2013, 11:35 AM
I should've gave you a sample of 205 to take home when you were up here. That would've took care of this car with orange and white pads.

Based on what you have, I would try carpro fixer. Check out CM8's threads or Marc's...

A lot of Honda enthusiasts here will chime in I'm sure. I see no issue in your plan of attack.

Dr_Pain
07-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Man.... that is when you need some Menz 2500!! Orange pad, 2500 on the GG6 follow up with your LSP and you would be hailed as the KING of low budget restoration. The problem is that everyone will want the same for that low of a budget!

c8n
07-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Not a Honda Insight but my car is an Acura TL of the same color, Crystal Black Pearl. I have also worked on an Acura MDX of the same color.

For light swirls, UC with LC CCS Orange pad on speed 5 with medium pressure and about 3-4 section passes did the trick. When I got a bit more aggressive on the RIDS, I ended up with DA haze which cleared up perfectly with UP on LC CCS grey pads.

Not sure if the paint would be different on a Honda vs Acura tho....

Becciasm
07-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Not a Honda Insight but my car is an Acura TL of the same color, Crystal Black Pearl. I have also worked on an Acura MDX of the same color.

For light swirls, UC with LC CCS Orange pad on speed 5 with medium pressure and about 3-4 section passes did the trick. When I got a bit more aggressive on the RIDS, I ended up with DA haze which cleared up perfectly with UP on LC CCS grey pads.

Nice. Thanks all!

I'll do my best to document the process.

No worries about the 205 Jake. I think I may have a few otc megs polishes as well... Test spot :)

ihaveacamaro
07-18-2013, 11:50 AM
if you need a polish, you can always get megs ultimate polish locally

Klasse Act
07-18-2013, 12:09 PM

I actually have a CRZ, LOL...I know, all hybrids look the same, LOL!

I was thinking after wash and clay I'd use some Meg's UC, cheap and available and very good! The rest of the products looking to get used sound good to me, especially Collinite #845 since it doesn't get washed too often but maybe things will change after the detail, can't wait to see the finished pics!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

JSou
07-18-2013, 12:53 PM

Not sure if the paint would be different on a Honda vs Acura tho....

Now I remember where I recognized your handle. You're on Acurazine too. I chimed in on your thread there when you first started. :props:

c8n
07-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Now I remember where I recognized your handle. You're on Acurazine too. I chimed in on your thread there when you first started. :props:

Yep... I'm on AZine :)