07-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Hi all...

Anything I can do to get this out?

Thxs

Mike

2009 Toyota Rav4

Dr_Pain
07-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Looks like caked on break dust! IronX, Trix or any strong wheel cleaner should be able to take care of that. The same residue seems cakes around your lugs (to a lesser extent)

Setec Astronomy
07-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Looks like caked on break dust!

Is it? Or is that just a stamped steel wheel and the silver paint is gone in those spots and we're seeing the black e-coat?

Dr_Pain
07-18-2013, 08:15 AM
Is it? Or is that just a stamped steel wheel and the silver paint is gone in those spots and we're seeing the black e-coat?

:dunno: but very reminiscent of a Range Rover I just did with similar caked on break dust. I guess the OP needs to give us a little more details and :Picture:

mikesal57
07-18-2013, 08:48 AM

These are original Toyota Wheels...
How can I tell if its silver paint fading or the brake dust etching?

Setec Astronomy
07-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Feel it with your finger and see if the black area seems to be raised buildup, or if it feels like a lower area than the silver paint.

Dr_Pain
07-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Feel it with your finger and see if the black area seems to be raised buildup, or if it feels like a lower area than the silver paint.

:whs:

swanicyouth
07-18-2013, 09:11 AM

I agree. Price a new wheel or get it refinished. You could touch it up with silver paint with decent results.

mikesal57
07-18-2013, 09:57 AM

yes..its quite smooth..no build-up

Now...How to match the paint?...also no-spray on...with my luck I'll screw it up :bash:

Setec Astronomy
07-18-2013, 10:01 AM

Now...How to match the paint?...also no-spray on...with my luck I'll screw it up :buffing:

Ugh...I have been through this trying to match wheel colors, no one seems to be able to tell you what the color is. Of course, that's a pretty standard "wheel silver".

Wurth Wheel Kit, wheel repainting kit, wheel paint, wurth wheel repair kit (http://www.autogeek.net/wurth-wheel-kit.html)

There are also separate products on the Wurth page in the store.

Where are you located?

Dr_Pain
07-18-2013, 10:01 AM

Now...How to match the paint?...also no-spray on...with my luck I'll screw it up :bash:

Dang it! No build up = paint gone! If you respray one rim, respray all. If you look, SON1C painted his rims blue and I really liked the technique he used.

I'll try to find the thread if I get a chance

Addendum: here it is: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/56531-son1c-s-new-shoes-wheel-painting-pictures-guidelines-how-30-hours.html

mikesal57
07-18-2013, 10:22 AM
WOW...

Thats some job!!!

Thxs