PDA

View Full Version : Sealing chrome wheels

bootstrap
07-17-2013, 10:54 PM
What do you all use to protect chrome wheels?
Wax, sealants, quick sealants?

My preferred car care company carries an aerosol sealant, but I'm looking for something fairly durable.

Need to protect these.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/mettalikatt/Truck%20Build/IMG_20130716_185120_818.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Pureshine
07-17-2013, 11:34 PM
I use Opti-coat or Sonax sealant.

Rsurfer
07-18-2013, 01:09 AM
Opti coat, GTechniq C5 or Blackfire Metal Sealant. BTW nice wheels.

Mike Phillips
07-18-2013, 06:39 AM
Nice looking wheels.

Whatever you choose to use, do your research and do your best to make sure the manufacture states the product can be used on chrome.

Chrome is very different than car paint, or wheel paint and just because a coating bonds to one type of coating doesn't automatically mean it will bond to chrome.

Just sayin...

I know that over the last 60 to 70 decades a traditional Carnauba Hard Wax has proven effective at maintaining chrome.

The most important thing you can do to maintain chrome is to keep it clean. Dirt on chrome traps moisture and all the icky corrosive substances embodied in the dirt against the chrome surface. This is especially a problem whenever there's a seem, crack, tight area, intricate design, etc., basically any place that will be hard to get the bristle of a brush into to agitate the surface.

No agitation, no dirt removal. That why on most chrome wheels you see the the chrome peeling and rust forming on the steel in these areas... because they are more difficult to clean and the average person just gives the face of the wheel a quick brushing, not a thorough cleaning and the dirt builds up over time.

So get some good brushes and some good wheel cleaners and when you get your pretty wheel dirt, go about the process of getting them very clean.

I'm the biggest fan of wheel designs that are easy to clean. The more pretty or complicated and intricate the design, the more difficult the wheel is to clean and the more time and energy it will require to really do a good job of cleaning them.

:)

bootstrap
07-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks guys, and mike. I'll look through the AG store at the sealants reccommend and see if they say chrome is one of the surfaces it'll work on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Detailing by M
07-18-2013, 10:19 AM
I can recommend Meguiar's Break Dust Barrier.
easy to use and long lasting.

Evan.J
07-18-2013, 10:24 AM
I used opti-coat on my chrome wheels