PDA

View Full Version : The difference between a cleaner wax and just wax

birdog
07-17-2013, 04:04 PM
I've searched the forum but I guess I'm not entering my search criteria correctly enough or too precise, so sorry if this is a redundant question.

:confused:
What is the difference between a cleaner wax and just a carnauba wax. I'm wanting to top the Meg's NTX Tech 2.0 sealant with a wax but if it contains a cleaner will it remove the sealant? This is all new to me.

Thanks,

ScottB
07-17-2013, 04:21 PM
A cleaner wax contains some cleaners to prep paint, and usually some light abrasives also. A pure 'nuba wax has no cleaners nor abrasives in the formula and just protection best used after proper paint prep.

A cleaner wax could remove a sealant depending on how durable the sealant is/was. Its best to use a pure wax when topping a sealant. (make sure sealant is fully cured prior to topping, ie 24 hours)

Mike Phillips
07-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Two Categories of products that "protect" paint.

Cleaner/Waxes some people call these AIO's or All-in-One products but they are the same exact thing, just different "words" to describe them.

Finishing Waxes or Finishing Sealants
These would be products without any ability to clean the surface and for this reason they should only be applied to surfaces that are new, like new or you or someone else has just put the paint through a paint polishing process so the paint is completely clean and spotless.

While "Coatings" are neither a cleaner/wax or a finishing wax, they would fall into the category for non-cleaning products as they can only be applied to surfaces that are clean and smooth and free of any oils or other contaminants.

I wrote the below article and it's VERY detailed on this topic.

The Difference Between a Cleaner/Wax and a Finishing Wax (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html)
Subtitle: How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project

And this goes over the three categories of protection type products,

3-Categories: Waxes, Paint Sealants and Coatings (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/34185-3-categories-waxes-paint-sealants-coatings.html)

:)

Mike Phillips
07-17-2013, 04:31 PM
I've searched the forum but I guess I'm not entering my search criteria correctly enough or too precise, so sorry if this is a redundant question.

:confused:
What is the difference between a cleaner wax and just a carnauba wax. I'm wanting to top the Meg's NTX Tech 2.0 sealant with a wax but if it contains a cleaner will it remove the sealant? This is all new to me.

Thanks,

If you're applying a wax or sealant that has cleaners in it, be they chemical or abrasive, they will tend to "clean" the surface, that is remove whatever is on the surface and this would include any previously applied wax or sealant.

See this article before doing any of this stuff...

Topping - Definition - How to Top also called Topping (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40089-topping-definition-how-top-also-called-topping.html)

Also, before you top anything with anything, you should allow a window of time to pass so whatever the "magic" the protections ingredients use to bond or stick to the paint has fully transpired otherwise you'll be disrupting this process.

The above all said...

Try not to make washing and waxing your car, something kind of simple, into Rocket Science!

:laughing: