PDA

View Full Version : Best Tire Cleaner Part 2 - Meguiar's D101

Pages : [1] 2 3

ihaveacamaro
07-17-2013, 02:10 PM
I made a thread recently called perfect tire cleaner or best tire cleaner where I explain how I use D101 and why I think it's the best tire cleaner out there.

There were a few comments in that thread I'd like to respond to in this video, not picking you two guys out or anything, but you guys had good responses that I think deserved another demonstration.

The main comment I'd like to address was using a dirtier tire which I certainly did this time around.

Hope you enjoy, video in link!!

Best Tire Cleaner Part 2 - Meguiar's D101 - YouTube (http://youtu.be/BYyY1UQUEcA)

Original Best Tire Cleaner video:

Best Tire Cleaner - Meguiar's D101 - YouTube (http://youtu.be/qA5pdsFWMSM)

My assertion is that D101 is great for cleaning dirty tires that are treated with PERL as shown in your video.

Lastly the tire he's working on isn't really the best illustration, to show how well it works IMO. Sincerely if your going to show how well something can work, look for a tasty, dirty looking tire to show it off.

AC in OC
07-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Nice. Looks like this is fast-acting. I have some pretty nasty tires on one of my beaters that needs deep cleaning that other cleaners couldn't touch. I've put on my wishlist and will pick some up on my next order. It is cheap for sure.

02xtreme07SS
07-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Hey are you calling me out? :argue::cry::mad::bat: Just kidding. Im the MAN

Another great video. For the record, I wasn't complaining. It was just an observation based on my own experience with the product. You obviously have more seat time with D101 than I do, so I will defer to your experience with it as the benchmark in this application.

Based on my experience with PERL, I would say that it is a fairly non-durable dressing. It looks great initially, but the effects don't last very long. The reason I felt, and still feel, that D101 isn't all that great is because it doesn't have the ability to cut through a more durable dressing and fully clean a tire. I won't and can't deny your results on tires dressed with PERL and undressed tires.

If you make a Part 3, I'd like to see you use it on tires that have a more durable dressing. I'd like to see if you experience the same results that I have with it's lack of ability to completely remove the dirt and the dressing and give you a clean surface to re-dress. For me, D101 was unable to provide me with a truly clean tire, even with repeated applications and extended dwell times.

Keep doing what you do though because I really enjoy your videos. :dblthumb2:

Setec Astronomy
07-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Based on my experience with PERL, I would say that it is a fairly non-durable dressing. It looks great initially, but the effects don't last very long. If you make a Part 3, I'd like to see you use it on tires that have a more durable dressing.

I dunno, I'm here reading the forums every day, and it seems like the consensus is that PERL is one of the most durable tire dressings (perhaps equivalent to UTTG or WETS, while a notch down from Tuff Shine). That's what you gotta love, one man's junk is another man's treasure. What do you consider a durable dressing?

02xtreme07SS
07-17-2013, 03:30 PM
I dunno, I'm here reading the forums every day, and it seems like the consensus is that PERL is one of the most durable tire dressings (perhaps equivalent to UTTG or WETS, while a notch down from Tuff Shine). That's what you gotta love, one man's junk is another man's treasure. What do you consider a durable dressing?

For me PERL doesn't even hold up to morning dew without streaking and running, let alone any true precipitation. For that reason, I don't use it on tires or any other element exposed surface very often. I've since switched to DLUX as my external trim dressing, with the exception of tires. That stuff is incredible.

As far as what I find durable, I do really like UTTG (have been using this lately and have no complaints with it) and Adam's SVRT, both in terms of looks and longevity. For my first test of D101, I wasn't able to remove a 2-week old application of SVRT with full-strength. I had to resort to another APC to fully clean my tires. This past weekend I experienced similar results with D101 on UTTG, but it did remove more UTTG than it did SVRT.

Tuff Shine is the bees knees, but I really do enjoy re-dressing my tires after a maintenance wash and the extreme durability of Tuff Shine really negates the need to do so.

02xtreme07SS
07-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Something I haven't considered until now...are you guys using PERL at full strength on all surfaces (not just tires) or are you diluting it at all? I've used it full strength on tires, but I usually dilute it for other exterior trim. I wonder if the dilutions are drastically affecting durability.

Anyway, forgive me Roshan for hijacking your thread talking about PERL.

Setec Astronomy
07-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Well, since we've hijacked anyway, I haven't used PERL, I just know Roshan says it lasts for weeks through rain and snow (or hurricanes or whatever they have down there in Florida).

02xtreme07SS
07-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Well, since we've hijacked anyway, I haven't used PERL, I just know Roshan says it lasts for weeks through rain and snow (or hurricanes or whatever they have down there in Florida).

:laughing: Those Florida blizzards are BRUTAL!

Calendyr
07-17-2013, 04:05 PM
How would you guys rate Optimum Opti-Bond in terms of durability compared to the products listed above?

As for the video, I purchased Meguiar's APC+ but have yet to use it. The product seems very concentrated and I doubt that using it full strenght is necessary. Have you tried 1:2 or 1:4 dilution Roshan? I agree that 16$ a gallon is cheap, come to almost twice that with shipping for me but still, it's not expensive. Just hate to waste if not necessary.

I have been using Hertel multi in the past and it did a great job at 1:20 dilution level. I can't wait to try APC+ and see how it performs.

Radarryan
07-17-2013, 06:36 PM
I noticed that you responded to a comment posted regarding the safety of Simple Green, and discouraged the use based on fact that a carcinogen is used (however I think that their updated formula does not contain anything of the such, but I could be wrong and have not checked their MSDS report).

I just wanted you, and everyone for that matter, to know that the same chemical that you warned about, 2-BUTOXYETHANOL, is also present in Meguiar's D101 as per Meguiar's MSDS report.

http://www.meguiars.com/content/en/msds/D101%20MSDS.pdf

I just want everyone to know what is in the automotive chemicals that they choose to use and be careful with everything that you use. I noticed in your video that you use gloves and that is a great habit for everyone to get into.

I am not saying that D101 is unsafe, just saying that some of the components may warrant second looks. If we all are educated on the subject, we can make better, informed decisions. Meguiar's has recommended safety precautions in the MSDS report. Also, just to note, it has a NFPA Health Hazard Classification of 3.

It is no doubt that D101 is an excellent tire cleaner and your videos prove it.

Sorry for the :hijacked:

runrun411
07-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Roshan, both videos were great and after watching the first one I bought a bottle of D101. You are so right it's a great APC.

Kappy
07-17-2013, 07:53 PM
After watching your original video I tried some D101 on my tires, diluting it a little and without using a foaming sprayer. The tires weren't that dirty, though I still saw an improvement in their appearance, but I've had problems getting the brush clean. I tried more APC, Dawn, and finally soaked the brush overnight in a very strong solution of orange oil and water, which helped. What do you use?

Success
07-17-2013, 08:27 PM
I used it based on his first video and I also had similar, great results. I also tried it at 1:1 with great results. I love the foaming of the product.

I'm usually not bothered by smells but I did find it initially overwhelming but it passed. It was a chemical smell.

It's so cheap!

AeroCleanse
07-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Wonder if the OP tried Meg's Super Degreaser

StuDLei
07-18-2013, 12:53 AM
How do you think OPC compares? That stuff has cleaned virtually everything I've thrown at it. It is the only APC I've ever used though, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Also, how do you guys thing Optimum's Tire Shine holds up? We haven't had rain here but my tires still bead with it after a month when I wash with ONR. Today I hit them with OPC though and it of course took it off.