PDA

View Full Version : how do I keep brake dust off wheels ?

Pages : [1] 2

dano126
07-17-2013, 12:05 PM
I have a regular customer with a porshe cayenne and a Mercedes sedan. They complain brake dust appears quickly after I clean they're cars and if there is anything thing I can put on the wheels to keep the brake dust from accumulating. Any suggestions or does anyone have a product they use that really works ?

c8n
07-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Simple thing would be to clay it and seal it.
Altho I haven't used it, I heard Meg's Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier works well.

dano126
07-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Are you saying use a paint sealer, like Menzerna ?

ihaveacamaro
07-17-2013, 12:13 PM
You could try opticoat but you just have to let them know brake dust is part of having a performance car. If they don't want brake dust, their next car should be a Prius ;)

kevincwelch
07-17-2013, 12:16 PM
If they don't want brake dust, their next car should be a Prius ;)

Or a Model S! Braking is something I hardly ever do now.

ihaveacamaro
07-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Or a Model S! Braking is something I hardly ever do now.

No you guys just break all over ;) hahahaha

But seriously model s looks awesome.

c8n
07-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Are you saying use a paint sealer, like Menzerna ?

Yep... I use Meg's NXT that I am trying use up to make room for others waxes

07gtcs
07-17-2013, 12:27 PM
You could try opticoat but you just have to let them know brake dust is part of having a performance car. If they don't want brake dust, their next car should be a Prius ;)

I was going to say...tell them not to drive.

Detailing by M
07-17-2013, 12:47 PM
well that's not going to happen.
any coating will only help when you wash it.
Dirt will still collect but wont stick to it

I use D156 on all my customers cars and this works great.
I charge to use Meg's Bread Dust Barrier and this product works great too.
I have it on my bare Aluminum rims to help protect the BA.

Circa40
07-17-2013, 02:24 PM
IMO if anything, the real benefit to wheel sealant or coating is to protect the wheel from brake dust from eating into its finish. Protected wheels might only reduce brake dust build up at best. Perhaps it's not even noticeable.
The best solution is using different brake pads.

Harry Da Hamster
07-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Tesla: High Carbon Footprint, High Environmental Compromise? Just kidding!

I use Menzerna Power Lock and it helps (a little) to repel brake dust and clean up. I'll be trying Opti-Coat next.

Audios S6
07-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Brake dust is a way of life with german cars. You can switch to ceramic pads which will help a lot. I put zimmerman rotors and akebono pads on the S6 and dusting has improved dramatically. Coupled with opti-coat and they pretty much clean themselves in the rain. It's not cheap though - front and rear pads on the S6 cost almost as much as standard rotors, pads, hoses & rebuilt calipers for the rear of my A6.

If this is after a routine wash, there are probablya couple culprits:

1. The rotors got wet and have a light coat of rust that will dust off and cover the wheels the first time you hit the brakes. Drying the rotors immediately with compressed air would help with this.

2. The cleaner you are using contains a compound that attracts and holds on to dirt, and that compound is still on the wheels after you finish rinsing them, which will (as the name implies) attract and hold the dust. You could try a different cleaner, or IPA wipedown after to avoid or remove aforementioned compounds.

BillyJack
07-17-2013, 02:36 PM
I was never too picky about wheel waxes until two German cars were added to the family stable- a BMW and an Audi. Very quickly I learned that keeping them coated with the most bulletproof sealant is paramount to a detailer's sanity. A periodic app of either Collinite 476 or FK1000 is now part of my regimen. Based on positive reviews I read here at AGO, I bought a bottle of GG HD Wheel Cleaner, but haven't had to open it yet.

Bill

FUNX650
07-17-2013, 03:05 PM
you just have to let them know brake dust is part of having a performance car.

The best solution is using different brake pads

^^^Excellent advice from these two AGO forum members!! ^^^:props:.

I have a regular customer with a porshe cayenne and a Mercedes sedan.
They complain brake dust appears quickly after I clean they're cars
I'm sure the wheels are spotless after you clean them.
Applying a sealant or coating to them is a good idea...
But brake dust will still accumulate:
The amount determined by these folks driving style.

:idea:

Ask them to allow you, during the next 'detailing-session', to not clean these wheels until the next time the
detailing-session is scheduled.

An easy way to prove to these good folks that brake dust will always accumulate, seemingly:
Exponentially over a very short time period...IMHO.

NOTE:
The LSP you applied to these wheels should make for a fairly easy clean-up...("the next time")...
even though time has marched on a little more than usual for them.

:)

Bob

HellaBroke
07-17-2013, 03:25 PM
I didnt read Everyones post completly so sorry if its a repeat.
Change your pads? Ebc makes good ceramic pads that cut the dust to 20% of what the factory pads were for my golf r.
While chnaging the pads clean the wheels with apc, then iron x spray to chemically remove and then lastly clay.
Seal with opticoat.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AG Online