PDA

View Full Version : Question on wax after sealant

Pages : [1] 2

queens guy
07-17-2013, 09:58 AM
I have the mag's #21 Mirror Glaze 2.0 and I was wondering what wax would be best to use after the sealant? I also do have the mag's Sythetic X-press Spray wax I intend to use weekly after car was as a QD. I have been seeing a lot of posts on Gold Class Carnauba. Would it be best yo use a spray wax or paste hard wax after sealant?

I have a 2011 nissan Murano and will correct paint, use dr. color this weekend etc.

Feed back please

c8n
07-17-2013, 10:20 AM
It depends on what you are after.
It is probably better to do 2 coats of your preferred sealant.

Spray waxes in general do not have the durability but does give a nice smooth finish and its great for drying aid.

Carnauba, again generally, does not have the durability but does last longer than spray waxes. However, it does give more depth in my opinion.

Are you in Queens NY? If so, I think it would be best to do 2 coats of sealant as you guys have tons of pigeons over there and not to mention all that crap falling off the 7 train line.

inDetail
07-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Your first goal is going to clean the spot that needs touch up paint. That is going to have to cure probably at least 24 hours. I'm not sure what the specs are on Dr. Color but you may need to wait long before you put any wax or sealant on it. Then depending how it looks you may have to wet sand that area then do your entire correction. You will most likely have to wet sand.
As far as wax goes I will be one of the few on AG that does not care for Meg's products. Yes the have a few that are really good M205, M105, Meg's Ultimate Quick Detailer is good. I also feel that there are better options on the market.
Yes you can layer wax on top of a sealant. Meg's Gold Class Nuba is well not worth the price. It's a retail grade product which means, fillers, lower quality of nuba, lower % of nuba in the wax.
I would do some research and find better waxes in that price range. Collinite, Poorboy's Natty's waxes are just a few exceptional waxes at a reasonable price that produce boutique wax results without the boutique price tag.

queens guy
07-17-2013, 10:29 AM
lol yea C8N i am in queens but I am no where near the 7 train or any train. I do park outside all the time and under a tree. so you would do 2 coats of sealant over 1 coat of sealant and 1 coat of wax?

goldendodo19
07-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Are you in Queens NY? If so, I think it would be best to do 2 coats of sealant as you guys have tons of pigeons over there and not to mention all that crap falling off the 7 train line.

Found this funny. Pidgeons, people who can't park, crappy torn up roads and construction zones around every corner.

If you wash the car weekly and top with spray wax you should be fine with the one coat of sealant and the wax. I wash my cars weekly and never run into an issue since I'm always washing and topping with a spray wax and switching up my lsp every few weeks.

Just curious OP, where in queens are you?

queens guy
07-17-2013, 10:33 AM
thanks InDetail.. I do have the M205, M105, Meg's Ultimate Quick Detailer. I will look into the waxes you mentioned. Correct I do have to wait before I can wet sand after I apply Dr. Color. I am starting Saturday and hope to finish Sunday.

c8n
07-17-2013, 10:35 AM
lol yea C8N i am in queens but I am no where near the 7 train or any train. I do park outside all the time and under a tree. so you would do 2 coats of sealant over 1 coat of sealant and 1 coat of wax?

The thing is, if you park under a tree, it provides some shade and aid in UV protection but it is also where birds hang out.

Youre damned if you do and damned if you dont.

Oh yeah... 2 coats of sealant over 1 sealant and 1 carnauba.... for better protection.

c8n
07-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Found this funny. Pidgeons, people who can't park, crappy torn up roads and construction zones around every corner.

To add.. lack of parking space and the high insurance
All this combined is probably the reason why many NYC residents don't own a car.

But the good thing about NYC is that you really don't need a car altho it is a good "luxury" to have.

queens guy
07-17-2013, 10:52 AM

If you wash the car weekly and top with spray wax you should be fine with the one coat of sealant and the wax. I wash my cars weekly and never run into an issue since I'm always washing and topping with a spray wax and switching up my lsp every few weeks.

Just curious OP, where in queens are you? I am in Forest Hills.

c8n
07-17-2013, 10:54 AM
I am in Forest Hills.

I used to live in Woodside before I wussed out and move to NJ.

Love Forest Hills! One of the nicer areas in Queens

queens guy
07-17-2013, 10:56 AM
To add.. lack of parking space and the high insurance
All this combined is probably the reason why many NYC residents don't own a car.

But the good thing about NYC is that you really don't need a car altho it is a good "luxury" to have. Well i am lucky enough to have a parking spot just outdoors. I also do have the luxury or having a spot at my parent house to wash and detail the car. Bad part is that it only shaded around 5:30pm at night so thats when I start washing..

Funny how i pass by so many cars now and look at the paint and say damn that looks like crap. Never looked at paint and detailing till I started hand washing and caring for my own car..

c8n
07-17-2013, 11:04 AM
Yeah... its not easy to spot a well maintained car in NYC.
Whenever I drive out to NYC, my car really stands out and I make sure to have a bottle of QD and MF towels in the trunk :)

queens guy
07-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Yeah... its not easy to spot a well maintained car in NYC.
Whenever I drive out to NYC, my car really stands out and I make sure to have a bottle of QD and MF towels in the trunk :) is it a good idea to use a QD spray on a non washed car? can you scratch the car?

c8n
07-17-2013, 11:17 AM
If the car is dirty... you don't want to use QD.
You really have to pick your battles and make a judgment call.

Bird poops and whatnot is not going to eat into your paint on contact. You do have some time before they start eating into your paint. I try not to leave them on the car for more than a day.

EDIT: The QD I keep in the car is ONR at QD dilution since this will have the cleaning power as well as lubricants and I use "liberal" amounts

goldendodo19
07-17-2013, 11:35 AM
I am in Forest Hills.

Wow I'm literally 10 mins from you. I'm in middle village lol