PDA

View Full Version : Brinkmann Verses Other Handheld, Headlamp and Lights On A Stand

Pages : [1] 2

Kappy
07-16-2013, 03:55 PM
For those of you who use a Brinkmann or similar hand-held light, if given the choice, would you prefer some type of lighting that allows you to see what you're correcting while working, or is it enough to be able to check before and after each step? I've found several threads with recommendations for a variety of lights, but haven't been able to decide what style would work the best. I'm even starting to like the idea of a headlamp, if there was one that was bright enough.

I had every intention of working on my car this weekend. I moved the car into the driveway to get some before and after photos, but it was overcast and I couldn't find a single swirl. Obviously I'm going to need some type of lighting to see what I'm doing.

I've looked at the Brinkmann light, as well as other handheld lights and work lights on stands. Price-wise, the Brinkmann seems to be a good value for the money, but gets mixed reviews, and I don't want to spend much more than this for lighting. I'm hoping that once I do a proper paint correction I won't have a need to go on any swirl hunts in the future. I can see well enough in the garage with the door open, and the one florescent ceiling light, to do things that don't need a close examination, like a no rinse wash and claying the car.

There are halogen work lights on a stand comparably priced to the Brinkmann, but between the problems with the bulbs, and the amount of heat they generate, I don't know if they would be a good solution. There are a few months where halogen lights could come in handy to help heat the garage, but most of the year they would probably get too hot.

Maybe I'm over-thinking the lights, and if the Brinkmann or other hand-held is good enough for those of you who are experienced detailers, I'm sure something like that would be good enough for me. I'm just looking at the options before I buy anything.

Dr_Pain
07-16-2013, 04:08 PM
I have a Brinkmann, 1000w Halo and my shop is set up with T8 fluorescent. In the heat of South Louisiana..... Halos are the devil!!!!

I use all because none is the end all answer to illuminating your work. I use the Brinkmann because it is very convenient to have a high powered handheld to look at all different surfaces. The people that have problems is just because they don't understand the physics of light reflection. I use the Halo and the T8 for while I am working on the polishing. You can't really hold on to both the Brinkmann and the polisher at the same time. I do like to verify my work with the sun, which is the only light source you did not mention.

rmagnus
07-16-2013, 04:10 PM
The Brinkman is one of the best portable lights to inspect paint. Yes you need light to work by but that's like comparing apples to oranges.

LEDs are cooler but you need more lumens to get the job done. They are more expensive $100+. Halogen is less expensive but very hot to work near.

No perfect light out there. Funny thing is my spot light outside my garage at night seems to be the best swril and RID finder I've ever seen (after the work has been done of course).

IMO one needs a Brinkman at a minimum.

Mike Phillips
07-16-2013, 04:10 PM
The Brinkmann and experience work for me.

I've buffed cars out pretty much in the dark based upon a good Test Spot and experience. By this I mean if you dial in your procedure in your test spot and it works, and then you repeat the process to all the rest of the paint. Assuming nothing major changes in the paint you'll get the same results over the rest of the car that you got in your test spot. Therefore... you could buff the car out in the dark using a Brinkmann to check yourself once in a while.

:)

RaskyR1
07-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Having some kind of fixed light is ideal when working as you can usually see scratches while you are polishing, allowing you to focus on them more during the polishing. Without having the panel lit you have to do the whole polishing cycle, wipe off excess, inspect, and hit any remaining defects again....assuming you're going for full correction that is.

I have an LED headlamp that work pretty well. Halogen stands are great for seeing RIDS but I find they don't show DA haze very well and I suggest handheld LED and/or Brinkmann for inspection.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/95248C68-DFBA-40F8-A232-5BF7F2EEA136-259-00000018413FC1AF.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Raskyr1/media/95248C68-DFBA-40F8-A232-5BF7F2EEA136-259-00000018413FC1AF.jpg.html)

Andr3wilson
07-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Brinkman is pretty awesome. Like it is pretty close to the 3M colour matching light. Bright and charge lasts along time.

As for work light. Halogens and LEDs have there advantages and disadvantages. But most importantly, the background (what will be in the reflection) really effects how you see stuff. Darker is better IMO.

hernandez.art13
07-16-2013, 04:39 PM
The Brinkman is one of the best portable lights to inspect paint. Yes you need light to work by but that's like comparing apples to oranges.

LEDs are cooler but you need more lumens to get the job done. They are more expensive $100+. Halogen is less expensive but very hot to work near.

No perfect light out there. Funny thing is my spot light outside my garage at night seems to be the best swril and RID finder I've ever seen (after the work has been done of course).

IMO one needs a Brinkman at a minimum.

The street light are HPS lights or (High Pressure Sodium) these are reddish yellow spectrum color lights and are good when a plants are flowering.

The lights in the gasoline station are MH (Metal Halide) they are blue and are good when they your plants are vegetating.

If combined HPS and MH you get a full color spectrum close to the sun. Of course nothing can beat the sun.

I have also found that these lights are excellent, when looking at your car. Whether it be under the street lights or while putting gas at night.

ski2
07-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Here's a thread from AutopiaForums about lighting posted by The Drive that has allot of good info. I use the set up at post #18--a single diode LED flood--when polishing and it does a fantastic job of showing swirls and RIDS, but doesn't produce the heat of Halogens. If you feel you need more light they have a 2 headed socket that will handle 2 LED floods as long as you get a heavier stand. Home Depot doesn't carry the floods any longer, but Lowes as them in another brand--just has to be single diode and 5000K

2old2change
07-16-2013, 04:52 PM
I use a combination of fixed and hand held lights. For my handheld it's the Brinkmann hands down considering price and performance. My halogens are slowly being replace by LED's. A local box store (Menards) now offers a single led that's 800 lumens , a dual 2000 lumen light and a triple that's around 2,400 lumens. Ranging in price from $74-$149 . That's a ton of light with minimal heat. These in combination with my overhead fluorescent fixtures help seek out defects that are usually a little harder to see.

Kappy
07-16-2013, 04:58 PM
The Brinkmann and experience work for me.

I've buffed cars out pretty much in the dark based upon a good Test Spot and experience. By this I mean if you dial in your procedure in your test spot and it works, and then you repeat the process to all the rest of the paint. Assuming nothing major changes in the paint you'll get the same results over the rest of the car that you got in your test spot. Therefore... you could buff the car out in the dark using a Brinkmann to check yourself once in a while.
:)
I feel very much like I am in the dark, but it's starting to get a little lighter out. :)

I never thought about the fact that once I get a process dialed in on a test spot, the rest of the car should be similar and possibly not need a check after every section or panel. That makes me think that a handheld could be a good choice, especially if it would be one that had other uses after the car is paint corrected and swirl-free.

Kappy
07-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Having some kind of fixed light is ideal when working as you can usually see scratches while you are polishing, allowing you to focus on them more during the polishing. Without having the panel lit you have to do the whole polishing cycle, wipe off excess, inspect, and hit any remaining defects again....assuming you're going for full correction that is.

I have an LED headlamp that work pretty well. Halogen stands are great for seeing RIDS but I find they don't show DA haze very well and I suggest handheld LED and/or Brinkmann for inspection.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/95248C68-DFBA-40F8-A232-5BF7F2EEA136-259-00000018413FC1AF.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Raskyr1/media/95248C68-DFBA-40F8-A232-5BF7F2EEA136-259-00000018413FC1AF.jpg.html)

Thanks for the info.

I saw a Coast HL7 LED headlamp which was rated at 196 lumens. That doesn't seem like it would be strong enough, at least compared to other LEDs I've seen, but does it work well because it's very directional and focused?

Kappy
07-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Here's a thread from AutopiaForums about lighting posted by The Drive that has allot of good info. I use the set up at post #18--a single diode LED flood--when polishing and it does a fantastic job of showing swirls and RIDS, but doesn't produce the heat of Halogens. If you feel you need more light they have a 2 headed socket that will handle 2 LED floods as long as you get a heavier stand. Home Depot doesn't carry the floods any longer, but Lowes as them in another brand--just has to be single diode and 5000K
Do you have a link to the thread?

Thanks.

Kappy
07-16-2013, 05:24 PM
I use a combination of fixed and hand held lights. For my handheld it's the Brinkmann hands down considering price and performance. My halogens are slowly being replace by LED's. A local box store (Menards) now offers a single led that's 800 lumens , a dual 2000 lumen light and a triple that's around 2,400 lumens. Ranging in price from $74-$149 . That's a ton of light with minimal heat. These in combination with my overhead fluorescent fixtures help seek out defects that are usually a little harder to see.

Thanks for the reply.

I saw the ones from Menards mentioned in another thread, and took a look at them a few days ago. The lights look like they would be a good investment, especially the dual model, if I wanted to spend that much, and would get other use from them down the road. I wish I had a local Menards so I could see them.

ski2
07-16-2013, 08:55 PM
Do you have a link to the thread?

Thanks.

Sorry!! A mind is a terrible thing to lose!!! Finally a comprehensive review of the best bulbs out there... - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/show-off-your-garage/40239-finally-comprehensive-review-best-bulbs-out-there.html)

Kappy
07-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Sorry!! A mind is a terrible thing to lose!!! Finally a comprehensive review of the best bulbs out there... - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/show-off-your-garage/40239-finally-comprehensive-review-best-bulbs-out-there.html)

I saw this link in another thread and didn't realize it was the one you were talking about.

I really like the simplicity of the bulb and stand, and the fact that it has little to no heat. I don't know enough about the cost at this point to decide if it's in my price range or not.