PDA

View Full Version : Road Rash

thelemur
07-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Over the winter my car encountered many blemishes to the front hood. The hood was replaced when I bought the car, so the paint is brand new - yet it is the most damaged part of my paint. I suspect they didn't put a good clear coat on it but I'm not sure - I don't know how to tell such things.

What do I do? Should I take it to a local paint shop and have them look at it? Or is this normal and should I get a package of Dr. PaintChip and deal with it myself?

Mike Phillips
07-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Over the winter my car encountered many blemishes to the front hood. The hood was replaced when I bought the car, so the paint is brand new - yet it is the most damaged part of my paint. I suspect they didn't put a good clear coat on it but I'm not sure - I don't know how to tell such things.

What do I do? Should I take it to a local paint shop and have them look at it? Or is this normal and should I get a package of Dr. PaintChip and deal with it myself?

Generally speaking, the factory finish is the best finish you can get because everything is so virgin and controlled when the car is built and painted.

If you're only seeing chips on the hood and not the adjacent fenders, (which would receive the same type of debris impact), then the problem probably is lower quality paint than the factory paint.

As for your choices?

Just depends on how much you want to spend and how important the appearance of this vehicle is to you...

The problem with putting money into repainting daily drivers is as soon as you fix the hood some jack wagon will door ding you.

It's hard to own anything nice and keep it that way, that's why I went up...

:)

1SicGolfROwner
12-19-2013, 10:08 PM
I am glad I found this thread. I have a 2007 Audi RS4 that is pretty much my garage queen unless I go to shows or just out for a joy ride now and again.

The issue is I live in Southern California where it's insanely windy and there are tons of rocks.

Is there any way to have the paint corrected without having to repaint? Compounding, blending? I'm not at all familiar with blending and am only slightly familiar with polishing compounds and wet sanding. I could get it repainted through insurance for a deductible of $1,000 but I don't have that money just for paint right now nor do I want my car looking like a checker board from mismatched painted panels.