PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weight adhesive inside rim

greatwhitenorth
07-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Hi I tried searching but nothing came up for this.
Lately I've been coming across this very often. The stick on weight that has been taken off during a tire change has just been left on.
This is a time killer for me. Adhesive remover and a plastic razor blade where I can reach.
So I guess what I'm asking is does anyone have an easier solution for this?

Skoob
07-15-2013, 08:53 PM
You might try "goo gone" it removes adhesive residue. I have the same problem in my wheel barrel. Does anyone have any other ideas?
I would wait to hear what others use before using "goo gone".

Sleypr
07-15-2013, 08:54 PM
If you can get to a tire supply shop, get some tire buff spray. Its an alcohol-solvent mix. Just spray on, wait 15 seconds and it rubs right off. I've used brake clean as well, just dont let it sit on the surface too long.

Shtexas
07-15-2013, 09:01 PM
d-limonene disolves the adhesive. I found this out after leaving it soaking on a dirty rim for too long and having the weights fall off. It doesn't doesn't damage the wheel finish either. It can be found in orangle based cleaners.

Pureshine
07-15-2013, 10:48 PM
I use goof off works great for this :)

Circa40
07-15-2013, 11:25 PM
Stoner terminator and OTC tar removers work well for wheel weight adhesives

greatwhitenorth
07-16-2013, 01:37 AM
Thanks everyone, ill see what works

tedhw
07-16-2013, 05:07 AM
I would use a Heat Gun and scraper first to remove majority of the adhesives. Be careful not burn the wheel, just enough heat to melt the adhesive!

Then WD-40, goo gone, citrus power or similar to clean the remaining residue.

Detailing by M
07-16-2013, 11:34 AM
yea don't do them, or charge the customer to do them.
Like you said it takes a lot of time to remove these.
Time is money and I don't want my customer to waist their money on my doing something that they can do themselves

I tell my customers to do it them selfs and save $100 bucks.
I'll do the paint you do the adhesive removal.

greatwhitenorth
07-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Yeah this is more so if they're spending the money on a wheel cleaning.

A heat gun sounds like it would take longer than my current method. I will look into the spirits though