PDA

View Full Version : how do you find a good, honest, local detailer?

Pages : [1] 2

d0n
07-15-2013, 04:21 PM
I have to say that my 1st and only experience hiring a "professional" detailer was pretty bad. It has honestly made me fear trusting my expensive & beloved vehicles to anyone to "detail".

To me "detailing" is doing the major cleaning but also getting into those little areas that most people don't ever clean. Maybe I was expecting too much from my $300 detailing job? I think of that Siefeld episode when the house cleaner windex-ed Jerrys peephole and cleaned the floor area between the fridge and the cupboard. Now THAT'S detailing!

I was selling my fairly small 24 foot winnebago View RV. I wanted it super clean and just didn't feel like doing it myself. I can wash, wax, vacuum and wipe interiors down as good as any other DIY'er. Who can't? It's not exactly rocket science. :) Come on admit it! But, I wanted my RV better than just "DIY clean". I wanted it DETAILED!. So, I found the professional in the yellow pages and he came to my home to see my RV. he looked it over from roof to floor, in and out. The price ended up being $300.

I told him yes as long as it's done right, $300 is ok. he came and picked it up the next day. he was supposed to do the job at his "shop" but I found out later, he did it in his driveway.

Later that day he called me and asked me to come to his house to talk about the job. he lived maybe 4 miles away so it wasn't a big deal for me to go there. When I arrived I noticed he had my RV generator running and the AC on inside the RV. :confused: Evidently, his house breaker kept popping when he tried to power the 13,500 watt AC with an extension cord run from his house. So, he thought it'd be ok to waste my gasoline and put hours on my generator so he and his buddy could stay cool.

Anyway, he starts pointing out areas that are going to need "extra attention" and extra time which I knew was going to equate to extra money. he asked for $100 extra. I reluctantly agreed to an extra $50 and then left.

he dropped the RV off off at my home later that evening. It seemed OK after a quick look around inside and out. I paid him the $350 and he left.

The next day, I checked out the "detailing" job closer and noticed that the beach sand that was in the shag carpet was still there. A quick hand drag across the carpet had the sand flying in every direction. So, he obviously didn't vacuum.

Then I noticed he didn't wash the inside of the windows or clean the toilet.

The last straw was when I climbed the ladder to look at the roof and found out that he had only washed and waxed the rounded corners all the way around the RV. So, standing on the ground, looking up toward the roof, it looked fine. Only when I got up to see the roof did I find out that he didn't even wash about 85% of the roof!

This was part of the job and we both knew it. When asked later he said it was just too dirty and it would have cost a lot of extra money to do it. Yet, he went up the ladder to look at the roof BEFORE giving me the $300 price. he knew what it looked like and agreed to do it as part of the "detail" job.

So, how do you find a real detailer who is professional, honest and not going to rip you off? You guys probably realize that most people who have ever had a vehicle "detailed" at some point, has run into one of these clowns...who ruin it for the rest of you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/esop/Dodge%20Journey%20EAST%20Search/092011069.jpg

http://www.rvdirect.com/classifieds/images/16739-110406102038.jpg

T3 AutoDetails
07-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Well to be honest, I wouldn't have even done just the exterior for $300. You get what you pay for in this industry.

A good rule of thumb would be:

1. Check reviews

2. Gage photos / Ask to see work done on other Rv's

3. Ask around about (xxxxx detailing)

4. Ask questions and if your unsure about the capabilities one may have then try and slide some questions in with tough answers. If you don't like what you hear than its a no.

5.Ask what process (xxxx detailing) plans to use on your vehicle and about how long they guesstimate. Any "true professional" will have no problem talking detailing in any form to a potential client.

That's what comes to the top of my head right away.

Dr_Pain
07-15-2013, 04:36 PM
The best answer I can offer, in the most concise way I can put it is: "You get what you pay for!!". Before you even hire someone you should have a general idea of what it would cost.

The proper way to hire a Professional is to do a little research to figure a general industry standard (price/service) and then interview your potential detailer. If they are way off the mark, one way or another, then it should raise some red flag. They should be able to talk "shop" without talking down to you. They should have good handle on listening to your goals, and have a solid description of the work that "needs" to be done. The quote should be firm and should be in writing. You should always look at their portfolio and feel free to check their references.

For future reference (and prices may vary some but not that much across the country) but for a wash and wax ONLY and no interior you are looking in the $12-$15/linear foot. Add the BASIC interior upsell etc.... and you are looking at a job that should have cost you closer to $450-$500, and that is not accounting for any "extra attention" items!

You should have had a walk around and walk through BEFORE and AFTER, which looks like it was substandard. It's a shame to say but he capitalized on your lack of knowledge and understanding.

hellfst
07-15-2013, 04:39 PM
You will get rip off in any business when you don't get properly informed.
I +one for the first reply. But next time you need it detail, as them if they have experience detailing RVs. They have a lot of different compartments that a first timer will miss. At least you pay attention to the details, this guy had probably done this type of job for regular people that keep their vehicles dirty.
I haven't gotten an RV yet, but if I do, it won't be cheap either, compare the way I detail lol (very picky).

d0n
07-15-2013, 04:50 PM
I would have gladly paid $500 had he quoted me that price in advance and then actually done all the work he said he would.

Any cheeky monkey with 1/2 an ounce of motivation can wash and wax an RV (or any vehicle) exterior and vacuum and wipe down the interior surfaces in 8 hours or less.

Assuming it took him a full 8 hours (I'm sure it didn't though)... at $350 he made about $43 an hour. That's pretty damn good money here in upstate NY.

T3 you wouldn't even do the outside for $300? Seriously? LOL?!

BlackHawk
07-15-2013, 05:00 PM
d0n I think no one here would do it for any less than close to 1K dollars

Rvs are a pain from what I hear around here

Mike Phillips
07-15-2013, 05:04 PM
So, how do you find a real detailer who is professional, honest and not going to rip you off?

You guys probably realize that most people who have ever had a vehicle "detailed" at some point, has run into one of these clowns...who ruin it for the rest of you.

I have people call me, e-mail me and private message me all the time looking for a professional detailer and I tell them all the same thing...

Post a "NEW" thread on this forum like this,

Pro Detailer wanted in Resume Speed, Iowa

Then in their post, fill in the details.

Our forum works better than Angie's List in that when a person replies to a thread like the above, the person either will have or won't have a "Posting History" and I tell the person that contacted me to read through their posting history.

Your posting history is important, I recommend you always keep it professional.

There's usually a few people with see the thread and then reply to it and that gives them a posting history count of "1" and sorry to say, that's not going to instill confidence in the person looking for a pro detailer.

This is why belonging to a forum like this and sharing your work and maintaining a professional character both offline AND online can help you get business.

Here's an example except I created the post for the person as a professional courtesy but usually I request they "join the forum" and create their own post.

Qualified Detailer needed in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/67040-qualified-detailer-needed-myrtle-beach-south-carolina.html)

One of the people that replied to the above thread was contacted by my friend at "Corvette Mikes" and is going to pay a visit to the customer this Friday and we'll all get to see how this play out.

:)

T3 AutoDetails
I would have gladly paid $500 had he quoted me that price in advance and then actually done all the work he said he would.

Any cheeky monkey with 1/2 an ounce of motivation can wash and wax an RV (or any vehicle) exterior and vacuum and wipe down the interior surfaces in 8 hours or less.

Assuming it took him a full 8 hours (I'm sure it didn't though)... at $350 he made about $43 an hour. That's pretty damn good money here in upstate NY.

T3 you wouldn't even do the outside for $300? Seriously? LOL?!

No I wouldn't. To do the job properly cover my costs and time along with the reputation I'm building no.

It would take a good hour per wheel just to shine em up to where they should be. Whats the first thing people see on a Rv/Coach? The wheels. You gotta have the shiny polished wheels.

Another big thing many owners are picky about it the back ladder. Yet another polish session. Not to mention you might need to

Treat rubber moldings
Dress the wheel wells with a matte black finish
Dress tires
Do the glass
Doing the roof on any Rv/Coach is a big deal and also a much needed attention area as the Sun beats down on the surface it destroys the finish.

Some are fiberglass and others are not. By the time you end up sealing it (I would hope anyone with common sense would do this if detailing the roof of an Rv) there is so much product and time gone and its about being paid not losing money.

This does not even count for the grill (Which if its aluminum get polished).

Washing and waxing a Rv is far different than doing a car,truck,van,suv.

The decals on the side are so sensitive that you have to be extra cautious in doing ANY work around them.

We didn't even include the price of any machine friendly product or pads. Just the process.

Again everyone is different but for the description you mentioned in the first post I would have went over a checklist of what I *The Professional* advise we do than given you the quote.

rmagnus
Referral

d0n
07-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Referral

Referrals are tough if you live in an area where there aren't many millionaires who regularly have their ferarris, porches and bentleys detailed. This isn't SoCal! This is upstate NY. LOL.

I honestly, do not know a single person who has their vehicle detailed. I'm not rich but I don't mind spending the money a few times a year to have my vehicles brought back to like new condition.

There was a guy from albany that chimed in with an offer of help with my "ruined leatherique passengers seat" thread but I didn't hear from him after his very public offering of help. :confused:

It's like he got the "positive forum points" for publically offering to help and then didn't actually follow through with that help. :props:

Setec Astronomy
07-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Are you actually in Albany or south of there? There are a couple of guys in the Norwood, NJ area who might help you with that King Ranch seat, Phil at Detailer's Domain, and Dave at Street Dreams details, (dsms here on the forum). They may also be able to refer you to someone who could do a good job on the RV.

d0n
07-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Are you actually in Albany or south of there? There are a couple of guys in the Norwood, NJ area who might help you with that King Ranch seat, Phil at Detailer's Domain, and Dave at Street Dreams details, (dsms here on the forum). They may also be able to refer you to someone who could do a good job on the RV.

Im in Troy NY. The RV was sold last year but I'll be buying another one soon. I'd love to find someone local who can fix that king ranch seat (and do the entire interior) but this is upstate new york... people don't detail their rusty cars around here.
:autowash:

inDetail
07-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Referrals, references. It sounds like you were expecting a full concours level detail with all the paint corrected and every issue that could be resolved dealt with.
A walk through alone with me for an RV probably 1/2 hour at the least to make sure I made notes for everything. (drawers, closets, oven, microwave and the list goes on.)
If you wanted concours level detail inside and out on a RV I would not touch it for less then 1K. That's not even seeing the "special" issues.
A good detailer should be honest about what you are going to get for your money.
With my clients I can work within a budget but your gonna have to live with some problems on the car to stay within budget

Setec Astronomy
07-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Im in Troy NY. The RV was sold last year but I'll be buying another one soon. I'd love to find someone local who can fix that king ranch seat (and do the entire interior) but this is upstate new york... people don't detail their rusty cars around here.

First of all, it's important to recognize that the level of work done by pro, weekend warrior, and amateur members of this site far exceeds most "detailing", which is represented by what's done outside the carwash, at dealers, and at body shops. So 90+% of people you encounter who represent themselves to be "detailers" will be hacks by the standard of this forum and other detailing forums.

Why don't you start a thread for detailers in Troy, NY, as Mike Phillips suggested?

VP Mark
07-15-2013, 08:02 PM
You will know a pro when you talk to them. A true pro will never offer a "full detail" or promise to make everything perfect. They will know the language of their business well and will probably talk about things you never even thought about.

Also... pricing. I would have only done a basic cleaning on either the outside or inside for $300. A meticulous detail would have been around 800 - 1000 and would have taken at least 2 days. And that is just with my limited experience with RVs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online