PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider a "wash and wax"?

Pages : [1] 2

KyleP
07-15-2013, 01:09 PM
When thinking of the average joe who does a wash and wax on his own car...is this literally referring to doing a basic rinse soap rinse and apply a liquid or paste wax or is it people simply adding a body shine (spray wax)?

Just wondering so if I do friends cars I know if I'm actually waxing or just applying a body shine

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online

zmcgovern45
07-15-2013, 01:23 PM
This is my basic package... what I consider a "wash & wax" type of package

Basic Protection Detail: Starting at only $80*
TYPICAL TIME REQUIRED: 2 OR MORE HOURS
-Paint is pre-soaked with a gentle foam solution to loosen dirt and grime from the vehicle's surface
-Paint is carefully hand washed using pH neutral shampoo and soft, clean sheepskin wash mitts that are safe for your paint, but tough on dirt and grime.
-Bugs, Tar, Tree Sap and other contaminates will be safely treated and removed from all exterior surfaces
-Paint will be dried with high quality microfiber towels
-Exterior glass is cleaned with appropriate cleaner and microfiber towels to ensure a streak free finish.
-Wheels faces and barrels are thoroughly cleaned using pH neutral cleaning products and appropriate brushes that will not harm your wheels
-Tires are cleaned using appropriate cleaners and brushes to ensure a proper bond for tire dressings
-Tires and trim will be properly dressed and protected
-Exhaust tips are polished and protected
-Synthetic sealant and/or Carnauba Wax is applied to exterior painted surfaces to protect your finish from the elements and to enhance the shine

KyleP
07-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Hey thanks for the reply! That was a great response!

Brought me to two questions though:

Whats a pre wash I can use to loosen dirt?

From the wash youre going to an actual wax? (For me I bought one called meguiars ultimate wax)...I can just use this right after a wash? This won't trap dirt in there by not using a clay bar?

Thanks!!

Steelman
07-15-2013, 02:12 PM
What year is the car and what condition is the paint after washing?

Check here to learn how to do a Baggy Test:

Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum - Search Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/search.php?searchid=4189906)

KyleP
07-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Ill check out the video when I get off work.
For now,
My car 2011 jeep patriot
My dads two cars 2006 I think cadillac dts
And 2011 or 12 ford explorer

Becciasm
07-15-2013, 02:52 PM
if you feel that you need to clay, then clay, but yes, generally one can, and often does, go right from wash to wax/seal.

There is no need to wash-deconaminate-strip-clay-compound-polish-glaze-aio-coat-seal-wax every week...

have fun!
:D

zmcgovern45
07-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Hey thanks for the reply! That was a great response!

Brought me to two questions though:

Whats a pre wash I can use to loosen dirt?

From the wash youre going to an actual wax? (For me I bought one called meguiars ultimate wax)...I can just use this right after a wash? This won't trap dirt in there by not using a clay bar?

Thanks!!

This is my very basic package, and for this, I do not include decontamination with a clay bar. If it were my own vehicle, I would always decontaminate prior to applying any sort of protection if needed, however when it is a customer car and they need to fit a certain budget, I have to start removing time consuming processes.

My next step up is:

Advanced Protection Detail: Starting at only $160*
TYPICAL TIME REQUIRED: 4 OR MORE HOURS
-Includes all of the features of the Basic Protection Detail with the addition of:
-Iron X and Detailing Clay are used to remove bonded contaminates from the painted surfaces. This leaves a smooth surface which helps to enhance the appearance of your finish and provides a clean base for the glaze, sealant, or wax to adhere to.
-Glaze is applied to further prep the surface for protection while enhancing the gloss and depth of your paint by leaving an incredibly smooth and clean surface
^While I typically do paint correction, I will try to sell this advanced package to anyone who is not interested in/can't afford the paint correction because I know the importance of the decontamination process.

As far as a pre-wash solution, I simply let the car soak with a CG Citrus Wash & Gloss foam solution applied with either my Gilmour foammaster II foam gun or my MTM foam lance

-Zach.

Becciasm
07-15-2013, 03:03 PM
This is my very basic package, and for this, I do not include decontamination with a clay bar. If it were my own vehicle, I would always decontaminate prior to applying any sort of protection if needed, however when it is a customer car and they need to fit a certain budget, I have to start removing time consuming processes.

My next step up is:

^While I typically do paint correction, I will try to sell this advanced package to anyone who is not interested in/can't afford the paint correction because I know the importance of the decontamination process.

As far as a pre-wash solution, I simply let the car soak with a CG Citrus Wash & Gloss foam solution applied with either my Gilmour foammaster II foam gun or my MTM foam lance

-Zach.

Thank you for taking the time to share your processes, Zach!

zmcgovern45
07-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Thank you for taking the time to share your processes, Zach!

Yup... all of the info is available on my website if you want more details.

KyleP
07-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks for all the information.
Do you see any harm in using wax after a wash for your own car? Just curious since my car is brand new well a year old and want to take care of it.

hernandez.art13
07-15-2013, 04:04 PM
If not done right and you apply wax to a none clean area or non clean materials than you can introduce marring or even worse scratches.

I have wondered if to much wax is to much.

What wax do you plan on using?

IMO why not apply a sealant then top with a carnauba? So you can get the best of both worlds. Protection and shine.

-Art

hernandez.art13
07-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Better yet always follow the directions label

FFguy808
07-15-2013, 04:17 PM
For wash and wax, I typically do the following:
-clean wheel face
-pressure washer rinse
-foam presoak
-rinse
-two bucket wash
-final rinse
-aqua wax
-hand dry
-wipe exterior glass with stoners glass cleaner and repellant
-apply hyper dressing on tires

Done, all for $50:xyxthumbs:

zmcgovern45
07-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Thanks for all the information.
Do you see any harm in using wax after a wash for your own car? Just curious since my car is brand new well a year old and want to take care of it.

As it has already been said... if needed, decontaminate the paint prior to waxing.

FUNX650
07-15-2013, 05:19 PM
When thinking of the average joe who does a wash and wax on his own car...
is this literally referring to doing a basic rinse soap rinse and apply a liquid or paste wax
or is it people simply adding a body shine (spray wax)?

Just wondering so if I do friends cars I know if I'm actually waxing or just applying a body shine

Very interesting terminology...
Calling a spray-wax application a "body shine".

Wouldn't you think that a paste or liquid wax could also impart a body shine?

Back to your other question:
I've washed vehicles (including mine) many a time using "a basic rinse soap rinse (and dry, I'll add) method"...

I then applied either a liquid, paste, cream/creme, or spray wax...
immediately thereafter...with seemingly no ill-effects to the vehicles or myself.

That's how I define a "wash & wax".

:)

Bob