PDA

View Full Version : Help with Polishing and waxing!!

Pages : [1] 2

DJ92
07-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Hello, I am new to this forum, so if this in the wrong place I am sorry. Anyway, I need some assistance on the polishing and waxing portion of detailing. I have a black dodge caliber and when I start to do my pre wax polish I always leave these heavy marks and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have a turtle wax orbital buffer and I feel as it is too fast. I included some pics to show my problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2wrkbx0.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/nqztdc.jpg

Setec Astronomy
07-15-2013, 10:50 AM
What products are you using?

What process are you following? Wash, clay, pre-wax polish, wax?

Are you using a bonnet on your "buffer", or a foam pad? Terry or microfiber bonnet?

DJ92
07-15-2013, 10:53 AM
I wash, then clay, then I get to the Polish. I am using Mequiars ultimate polish. I have a foam pad on the orbital buffer.

Setec Astronomy
07-15-2013, 10:55 AM
It's hard to tell from your pictures, but those "marks" are they just excess product, or are those areas where the paint has a different appearance?

mikesal57
07-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Polish is used after compounding...
Try Ultimate Compound first, then polish
need a pad for both FYI

DJ92
07-15-2013, 10:57 AM
They might just be excess product cause the paint is all the same appearance

DJ92
07-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Polish is used after compounding...
Try Ultimate Compound first, then polish
need a pad for both FYII've never used this I might try it this weekend.

Setec Astronomy
07-15-2013, 11:00 AM
They might just be excess product cause the paint is all the same appearance

Ok, so what is the problem, are you unable to wipe off that excess product after you are done? Are you working in the sun or shade? Try working smaller sections and wiping off sooner, using less product, don't overwork it, etc.

DJ92
07-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Maybe I just use too much product on the buffer. How much polish should I actually put on the buffer to start? Sorry if these are dumb questions.

DJ92
07-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Ok, so what is the problem, are you unable to wipe off that excess product after you are done? Are you working in the sun or shade? Try working smaller sections and wiping off sooner, using less product, don't overwork it, etc.The sun was starting to blaze. And the marks wouldn't really come off with the microfiber.

cleanmycorolla
07-15-2013, 11:03 AM
I'd say the buffer is your issue, it's just smearing around polish not doing much. Why aren't you wiping the polish off, looks like its still all on there.

Setec Astronomy
07-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Maybe I just use too much product on the buffer. How much polish should I actually put on the buffer to start? Sorry if these are dumb questions.

The sun was starting to blaze. And the marks wouldn't really come off with the microfiber.

You didn't say if you are using a foam pad or a bonnet of some sort. It's going to be best to work on a cool surface, work in small sections, use less product, wipe off before it dries.

DJ92
07-15-2013, 11:08 AM
I'd say the buffer is your issue, it's just smearing around polish not doing much. Why aren't you wiping the polish off, looks like its still all on there.Trust me I go over the surface mutiple times as instructed, with the buffer.then try to wipe it off but it won't really come off. It does seem like it is just doing a smear job.

DJ92
07-15-2013, 11:09 AM
You didn't say if you are using a foam pad or a bonnet of some sort. It's going to be best to work on a cool surface, work in small sections, use less product, wipe off before it dries.I use a foam pad.

Setec Astronomy
07-15-2013, 11:15 AM
You can always use the polish by hand.