PDA

View Full Version : Wheel HELP!!!!

ccusum
07-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, but I need some serious help with my wheel cleaning. I have this "glue" based substance on all four of my wheels and did some research and found out that 3M adhesive remover or Goo-gone will take it off. Low and behold, it is taking the clear off the wheels and not even touching the "glue" substance. How can I get this stuff off as it looks nasty. This is an 02 Monte Carlo SS, when I bought the car it was severaly negelected and I am slowly getting it back into shape but I can not figure out how to fix this.

Please help!!!

Pureshine
07-15-2013, 10:13 AM
I use goof off all the time with no problem on paint and wheels. How product are you using are you spraying on the rims or a microfiber towel?

ccusum
07-15-2013, 10:26 AM
I am using a paper towel. Didnt want to kill a mf towel. I soak the paper towel and then wipe, wipe and wipe and noticed that the clear was coming off the wheel so i stopped. I then tried a plastic scraper, razor blade...noting is working. goof off is not even touching it.

FUNX650
07-15-2013, 10:53 AM
From here:
This "glue-substance" almost looks like bird-poo that's baked-on, and totally etched-in-the CC.
Try some polish and a foam pad to alleviate some of the harm/help-with-the-aesthetics.

Sorry about some of the CC coming off.
Removal of the remainder may be the next best choice.

:(

Bob

Ezmoney
07-15-2013, 11:00 AM
IMHO, it looks more like Clear Coat failure on the rims then a glue type substance. I have had and currently do have the same situation going on a car that I bought. Just my .02.

ccusum
07-15-2013, 11:02 AM
From here:
This "glue-substance" almost looks like bird-poo that's baked-on, and totally etched-in-the CC.
Try some polish and a foam pad to alleviate some of the harm/help-with-the-aesthetics.

Sorry about some of the CC coming off.
Removal of the remainder may be the next best choice.

:(

Bob

Yes, that is exactly a great way to discribe what it looks like. Can you recommend a polish that I should try? what about a heavy compound?

hellfst
07-15-2013, 11:02 AM
It may sound wrong, but have you tried an ammonia acid product? You can apply it to that certain spot. That or hot water...

ccusum
07-15-2013, 11:04 AM
IMHO, it looks more like Clear Coat failure on the rims then a glue type substance. I have had and currently do have the same situation going on a car that I bought. Just my .02.

maybe, I don't know because the wheels had baked on brake dust on them and that was a ##### to get off.

ccusum
07-15-2013, 11:04 AM
It may sound wrong, but have you tried an ammonia acid product? You can apply it to that certain spot. That or hot water...

what do you mean an ammonia acid product?

ccusum
07-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Now I am thinking this is not wheel weight glue rather it is corrosion on the wheels. Looks like I have to re-finish the wheels over the winter when I get out the beater!

stibuki
07-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Now I am thinking this is not wheel weight glue rather it is corrosion on the wheels. Looks like I have to re-finish the wheels over the winter when I get out the beater!

Winner! Have seen and experienced this many times. What you have is a break in the clear coat, usually starting with some curb rash or one of the monkey tire techs hammering on a wheel weight at some point in the rims life. Could be many other things but usually one of those two. Once the clear coat is compromised its all down hill. The glue like substance is oxidation and corrosion of unprotected aluminum. Just like rust it can start out as a pin hole and spread from there. Refinishing of some type is the only real way to totally fix this.