PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Your Outdoor-Parked Car Throughout the Winter

Pages : [1] 2

jayshut11
07-15-2013, 07:58 AM
I spend 9 months a year away at school in West Michigan where my car is parked outside entirely. (The other three months it is garage kept at home. :)) While there, it deals with a few hot months, as well as a mostly brutal Midwest winter, with seemingly constant lake-effect snow.

Before leaving in the fall I:

-Wash and dry the car

-Clay Bar

-Apply a quality paint sealant to the paint and wheels

-Fully detail and prep the interior

-Repeat process at Christmas time when time allows

When the car is parked at school I am able to clean it once or twice a month, not weekly like at home. :cry: (I take all of my detailing supplies with me.) I also have a sun shade I put in the front windshield every time I park to help protect the interior.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for what else I can do? Obviously keeping it spotlessly clean is impossible when it is parked outside 24/7, but I want to do whatever I can to maintain the paint finish. The salt in the winter is also brutal. Any tips on removing that from underneath the car? I know car washes can shoot water underneath the car, but I'd rather jump off a cliff than enter one of those with my car.

FUNX650
07-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Sounds like you already have a real decent car-appearance regimen. :props:

But, honestly:
Do you really need your car when away at school for those nine months?
Keeping it at home in the garage, during the brutal Mid-West winters,
would go a long way towards its long-term preservation.

-The college gals, that you'd actually take home for a 'meet & greet' with the folks,
will love you just the same with/without your vehicle on campus.

The "other gals" will have their own accommodations.

Bob

rmagnus
07-15-2013, 01:36 PM
+1 sounds like a good system.

Have you considered an after market treatment for your undercarriage? I know there is a company that makes a gadget that provide a reverse electric charge that prevents rust. I've always thought that would be something to consider in climates prone to rust.

hoyt66
07-15-2013, 06:00 PM
No winter prep threads until September 1st. Unofficial forum rule

CriticalDetails
07-15-2013, 06:52 PM
No winter prep threads until September 1st. Unofficial forum rule

Excellent rule. Winter ended three months ago and I am still removing road salt from vehicles.

hernandez.art13
07-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Would this rule apply to LA,CA as well? I feel winter is when I have to least worry and summer is when it becomes really hot outside. (Like right now)

That I think it haled hear about 15 years ago, never snowed (not that I could remember)

Wes Bremec
07-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Please pm me for some products I have used to prevent any kind of rust if interested

greatwhitenorth
07-15-2013, 08:32 PM
I find a good couple of layers of sealant work wonders. I reapply halfway through winter

Would this rule apply to LA,CA as well? I feel winter is when I have to least worry and summer is when it becomes really hot outside. (Like right now)

That I think it haled hear about 15 years ago, never snowed (not that I could remember)

If there no snow how do you go sledding?

hernandez.art13
07-15-2013, 09:15 PM
You drive to Big Bear (2 hours away) :D

hoyt66
07-16-2013, 04:33 AM
Please pm me for some products I have used to prevent any kind of rust if interested

If you don't mind could you post the rust prevention products for all? Thanks

Wes Bremec
07-16-2013, 05:35 AM
For an easy application look into the product FluidFilm.

jayshut11
07-17-2013, 06:20 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am going to look into some the suggested products.

Mike Phillips
07-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Keep it Simple Simon

Find a quick detailer you like, stock up on it and use it often. Keep and maintain a good collection of microfiber towels and keep a few in a large 1-gallon zip-lock baggie in your car.

Whenever you're by your car and "waiting" for someone or something, wipe something clean.

"Frequent car care is easy car care" - Barry Meguiar

:)

BillyJack
07-17-2013, 08:45 AM
I live in Pittsburgh and the family DD's stay outside 24/7 while my old El Camino stays warm in the garage. Thanks to all the great advice here, I've developed a winter routine that's served me well. In the fall, I'll do a thorough wash and clay, followed by a cleaning with DG 501/601, then two apps of Collinite 476. I have a severe distaste for any automated washes, so I take advantage of any milder days to do a rinseless wash. I use either ONR or DG and find that DG dries easier in colder temps. If the salt is really nasty, I'll presoak with my rinseless solution from a pump sprayer, which really seems to help eliminate any marring. Weather permitting, I'll use DG Aquawax or Optimum's Spray wax while drying to amp up the slickness and gloss. This process has gotten me well into spring with adequate protection.
Here are a couple mid-winter shots of two of the fleet:
This one was early January with temps around 36-38 degrees.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/kaminokids/Detail%20Forum%20Pics/IMG_1755.jpg

This one was the wife's ride in mid-February. A few mild days had melted the snow, but temps were still in the thirties:
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/kaminokids/IMG_1776.jpg

Before I toss the used rinseless, I'll also do the wheels and tires, using the pump sprayer to rinse all the garbage off. The wheels also get 476, which holds up pretty well to evil German brake dust, while the tires get UTTG or PERL and have to wait until spring for a serious scrubbing.

Bill

jayshut11
07-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Keep it Simple Simon

Find a quick detailer you like, stock up on it and use it often. Keep and maintain a good collection of microfiber towels and keep a few in a large 1-gallon zip-lock baggie in your car.

Whenever you're by your car and "waiting" for someone or something, wipe something clean.

"Frequent car care is easy car care" - Barry Meguiar

:)

Thanks for the input, Mike. I always appreciate when you chime in. :props: