PDA

View Full Version : Alright... thinking of going with Opti Coat 2.0...

TH3M B0N3Z
07-14-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm really considering going with a permanent coating for my 2013 Scion tC. The more I watch and read on these coatings, the better it sounds. I love maintaining my car, but I've been trying to not let it consume me so much, so I'm looking for ways to make it easier and quicker for me to detail my car. I read that OC 2.0 can be touched up with spray waxes, so that's perfect for me, as I use Meg's D156 as a drying aid and quick wax basically (boosting the MPL). Plus, all the rain in Florida... not helping. Hadn't washed my car in 2 weeks until today... FILTHY. And despite having 3-4 week old MPL, the lower part of my car was so dirty and it was hard to remove the road grime. I feared I was scratching the paint just to remove it, and this was after I rinsed the car, foamed it and let it dwell, and then proceeded with the 2BM.

Anyway, I know I'll need to prep the paint before the OC goes on, but my main question is...

Well, so far I've polished the paint once all around with Meg's Ultimate Polish, speed 5 with HT orange pad, achieved nice gloss in the silver paint, but some faint straight line scratches in the hood were not removed. I'm wondering if I can get away with using Ultimate Compound on the paint, remove anything the polish didn't, and then proceed with further prepping the paint.

Will the Ultimate Compound be too much on factory paint that is basically 95% perfect? Should I just do another round of Ultimate Polish, maybe on speed 6 this time, and then move on?

Evan.J
07-14-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm really considering going with a permanent coating for my 2013 Scion tC. The more I watch and read on these coatings, the better it sounds. I love maintaining my car, but I've been trying to not let it consume me so much, so I'm looking for ways to make it easier and quicker for me to detail my car. I read that OC 2.0 can be touched up with spray waxes, so that's perfect for me, as I use Meg's D156 as a drying aid and quick wax basically (boosting the MPL). Plus, all the rain in Florida... not helping. Hadn't washed my car in 2 weeks until today... FILTHY. And despite having 3-4 week old MPL, the lower part of my car was so dirty and it was hard to remove the road grime. I feared I was scratching the paint just to remove it, and this was after I rinsed the car, foamed it and let it dwell, and then proceeded with the 2BM.

Anyway, I know I'll need to prep the paint before the OC goes on, but my main question is...

Well, so far I've polished the paint once all around with Meg's Ultimate Polish, speed 5 with HT orange pad, achieved nice gloss in the silver paint, but some faint straight line scratches in the hood were not removed. I'm wondering if I can get away with using Ultimate Compound on the paint, remove anything the polish didn't, and then proceed with further prepping the paint.

Will the Ultimate Compound be too much on factory paint that is basically 95% perfect? Should I just do another round of Ultimate Polish, maybe on speed 6 this time, and then move on?

Well I would try hitting the spots where the defects still remain with the UP again and see if you can remove them. If not the bumps up to UC only on those spots since you say your car is 95% defect free.

I would polish out the vehicle with the UP and then do your IPA wipe down or CarPro easer wipe down then apply your OC 2.0.

Remember that any defect that remains will be sealed under OC and can only be removed by polishing. SO have your paint the way you want it before the application

I would suggest getting the dual applicator pad that has the dense neoprene foam as this makes application much easer and the product does not get soaked up into the foam. You should use in between 5-10cc per car.

TH3M B0N3Z
07-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Well I would try hitting the spots where the defects still remain with the UP again and see if you can remove them. If not the bumps up to UC only on those spots since you say your car is 95% defect free.

I would polish out the vehicle with the UP and then do your IPA wipe down or CarPro easer wipe down then apply your OC 2.0.

Remember that any defect that remains will be sealed under OC and can only be removed by polishing. SO have your paint the way you want it before the application

I would suggest getting the dual applicator pad that has the dense neoprene foam as this makes application much easer and the product does not get soaked up into the foam. You should use in between 5-10cc per car.

So only a quarter to half the product will be used?

Evan.J
07-14-2013, 09:51 PM
So only a quarter to half the product will be used?

Yep you should be able to get 2-3 cars out of 20cc of product. 3-4 if using the dual applicator although the size of the vehicle will depend on how much is needed.

TH3M B0N3Z
07-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Yep you should be able to get 2-3 cars out of 20cc of product. 3-4 if using the dual applicator although the size of the vehicle will depend on how much is needed.

That's cool. I thought the whole bottle was for one application.

Can the OC 2.0 be layered after the first coat is completely cured? I have a feeling the answer is no, but why not ask, lol.

Evan.J
07-14-2013, 09:56 PM
That's cool. I thought the whole bottle was for one application.

Can the OC 2.0 be layered after the first coat is completely cured? I have a feeling the answer is no, but why not ask, lol.

Yes, you can apply a second coat. I believe you should wait at least 24-48 hours for the first coat to cure before applying a second.

TH3M B0N3Z
07-15-2013, 05:27 AM
Yes, you can apply a second coat. I believe you should wait at least 24-48 hours for the first coat to cure before applying a second.

Is a second coat necessary? A second coat would make me feel better, lol. I'm weird like that.

Evan.J
07-15-2013, 07:16 AM
A second coat is not nessecary at all but if that would make you feel better have at.

TimmyG
07-15-2013, 07:20 AM
Is a second coat necessary? A second coat would make me feel better, lol. I'm weird like that.

Adding a 2nd coat of a "permanent" coating is a complete waste of product imho. You should focus your efforts on polishing the surface to as close to a defect free condition as possible, IPA wipedown, then lay down one even, consistent layer of OC 2.0.

Just like everything else detail related - the devil is in the details (your prep work)

TH3M B0N3Z
07-15-2013, 02:08 PM
A second coat is not nessecary at all but if that would make you feel better have at.

Adding a 2nd coat of a "permanent" coating is a complete waste of product imho. You should focus your efforts on polishing the surface to as close to a defect free condition as possible, IPA wipedown, then lay down one even, consistent layer of OC 2.0.

Just like everything else detail related - the devil is in the details (your prep work)

Thanks for the info, guys.

What is the proper IPA/water dilution? I'm just trying to take in all the info I can if I decide to pull the trigger on this permanent coating deal. Sounds very intriguing.