PDA

View Full Version : Dealer seal through GM

Pages : [1] 2

Gnarboots11
06-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I was wondering what exactly these were? My father in law told me I should get the seal through the GM dealer because he got it on his new Chrysler 300. I basically just listened to him talk and I knew in my head I wasn't going to pay the factory for any of that garbage. Anyways, I didn't opt to spend the $700 they charge for that seal. I did do a Wolfgang DGPS myself. Is this basically the same thing as the thing the dealer seal? What's better? He asked me if I got the seal on the new car and I told him no, then he shook his head like disappointed, I want to tell him to shove it cause I WOLFGANGED THIS MOTHER! Anyways, I am going to need some facts to throw in his face. Anybody know?

greg'sgoat
06-05-2007, 11:59 AM
I doubt whatever the dealer puts on is anything that is a quiality product. I wouldn't be suprised if you are paying $700 for some Autozone stuff. I know the WG selant is going to look better. Tell your father in law he got scammed....

P1et
06-05-2007, 12:12 PM
That stuff is such a scam, but a lot of people don't know much about it. When they are spending a lot of money on a new car, they want to keep it looking as good as possible. That's why the dealer can get away with it, they corner the customer at a vulnerable time.

Gnarboots11
06-05-2007, 12:19 PM
That stuff is such a scam, but a lot of people don't know much about it. When they are spending a lot of money on a new car, they want to keep it looking as good as possible. That's why the dealer can get away with it, they corner the customer at a vulnerable time.

Ya, they do it in the 2nd room. THE DREADED 2ND ROOM! Where the finance guy comes at you with extended warranty, Low Jack, Paint Seal, Window Etching, etc. They really lay it on thick, guy says to me "Man, you need this paint seal, you can throw engine oil on the paint and it just runs right off, it protects like no other man, it's the best" I imagine they get alot of people on that. I hate the "2ND ROOM" I just kept saying "No, No, No Thanks, No I am good, No". It was almost a deal breaker for me cause I wanted to get the hell out of there. You know what's the biggest scam? The Window Etching, they etch in the VIN # on the windows so that if it's stolen all the windows need to be replaced. The thing is, the windows are already etched with the VIN#! They try to sell you something you already have!!!

Grimm
06-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah, and who cares about window etching anyway? If my car gets stolen, I don't want it back because who knows what the crooks did to it.

Tex Star Detail
06-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Dealers should give out complimentary packets of this when they sell you something...
http://www.condomdepot.com/content/product/large/shooters_ag.jpg

I actually had a lady call me to wash her truck and detail her Husbands. She said wash hers only, NO WAX. She said she spent a ton of $$ on dealer sealant. The paint was Horrible. It needed to be clayed and buffed out. Swirls and scratches everywhere, not to mention the paint contaminants..
Just aweful..... Wasn't slick at all. Hell, I thick coat of turtle wax would be better....

supercharged
06-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Dealer is probably using something like Megs #20, maybe #21. Consider the cost of 1 bottle ($20), and what they are charging you...

ltoman
06-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Ya, they do it in the 2nd room. THE DREADED 2ND ROOM! Where the finance guy comes at you with extended warranty, Low Jack, Paint Seal, Window Etching, etc. They really lay it on thick, guy says to me "Man, you need this paint seal, you can throw engine oil on the paint and it just runs right off, it protects like no other man, it's the best" I imagine they get alot of people on that. I hate the "2ND ROOM" I just kept saying "No, No, No Thanks, No I am good, No". It was almost a deal breaker for me cause I wanted to get the hell out of there. You know what's the biggest scam? The Window Etching, they etch in the VIN # on the windows so that if it's stolen all the windows need to be replaced. The thing is, the windows are already etched with the VIN#! They try to sell you something you already have!!!

I agree, BUT I would NOT be without LoJack!!! A very close friend of mine - her hubby is a sheriff with a Lojack locator unit in his car, so I have an in there. But even when I did not - LOjAck!!!

All the old timers think the paint protection is all that. They don't know better but we do. I would not rub it in - you know you are protected. Let it go. He is unlikely to back down anyway!!!

Nica
06-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Funny you should ask about new paint sealant. Well the last vehicle I detailed (Pontiac G5) was brand new and the owner is a co-worker. The dealer was going to charger about $900 for the paint sealant and I told her to ask for the name brand and the salesman said it was the best Meg's could offer. So then I showed her how much a bottle of the same sealant costs and she got really mad at her salesman...well needless to day she is so happy she got me to take care of her new baby and she was more then pleased with the work I did...to make it worse wile the dealer was prepping the vehicle some scratches/swirls got on the vehicle.

So to answer your questions, the Wolfgang sealant is superior to what ever the dealer says. In my example just Meg's sealant...not that I'm saying anything bad about Meg's products but what I am slamming is the cost the dealer charges for the sealant...besides I prefer Wolfgang sealant...but that's just me. So you should feel much better about the product you got on your vehicle, compared to your father in law. Let him shake his head all he wants.

Totoland Mach
06-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Dealer is probably using something like Megs #20, maybe #21. Consider the cost of 1 bottle ($20), and what they are charging you...

Nope...Nope....Nope: They typically use PermaPlate (I have a gallon of this at the shop...hoping mold will set in so I can justify throwing it away).

PermaPlate's only redeeming feature is that it won't stain trim (acts like Meguiar's #26 in that regard). I've tried it on a couple of BMW's..easy to apply and ho-hum/yawn results. Dealers like this stuff for the no-stain feature and it's available at local paint suppliers.

A good application of Wolfgang would put this product to shame.

Toto

Tropicality
06-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Funny you should ask about new paint sealant. Well the last vehicle I detailed (Pontiac G5) was brand new and the owner is a co-worker. The dealer was going to charger about $900 for the paint sealant and I told her to ask for the name brand and the salesman said it was the best Meg's could offer. So then I showed her how much a bottle of the same sealant costs and she got really mad at her salesman...well needless to day she is so happy she got me to take care of her new baby and she was more then pleased with the work I did...to make it worse wile the dealer was prepping the vehicle some scratches/swirls got on the vehicle.

So to answer your questions, the Wolfgang sealant is superior to what ever the dealer says. In my example just Meg's sealant...not that I'm saying anything bad about Meg's products but what I am slamming is the cost the dealer charges for the sealant...besides I prefer Wolfgang sealant...but that's just me. So you should feel much better about the product you got on your vehicle, compared to your father in law. Let him shake his head all he wants.

FYI down here in Lethbridge the Mazda dealership (and I'd assume several others) use this Pro-Tech stuff, or Pro-Form, or something like that, all of those products are sold in Silver Automotive down here. They even gave me a sample kit with my new car.... I don't know what I'll do with it! heh. Anyways they said that how they apply it is with a spray gun or something (probably pumped out a 5 gallon pail) over the entire car, trim and glass and all, and wipe it all off after...

ScottB
06-05-2007, 07:15 PM
as offered many times in the past, the dealer has nothing to lose. They offer a paint protection (sealant just like Wolfgang) but charge 700.00 for it. They then offer a 1-3-5 yr guarantee. Well, they paint companies already offer this protection on most new finishes to them anyways, meaning the likelyhood of repair is minimal. PURE PROFIT MAKER !!

supercharged
06-06-2007, 12:12 AM
as offered many times in the past, the dealer has nothing to lose. They offer a paint protection (sealant just like Wolfgang) but charge 700.00 for it. They then offer a 1-3-5 yr guarantee. Well, they paint companies already offer this protection on most new finishes to them anyways, meaning the likelyhood of repair is minimal. PURE PROFIT MAKER !!
I'd have a co-worker, that paid $1,000 to his dealer for a paint sealant, and all interior surface (leather, plastic, vinyl). I told him what it was, and how much it would cost him if he had done iit himself (not counting how long will that bottle last you). then I told him that if he needs another paint sealant job done, and willing to pay another $1,000 for his 2000 Eclipse, I'll more then happy to do it myself for $1,000.;)

Nica
06-06-2007, 09:21 AM
FYI down here in Lethbridge the Mazda dealership (and I'd assume several others) use this Pro-Tech stuff, or Pro-Form, or something like that, all of those products are sold in Silver Automotive down here. They even gave me a sample kit with my new car.... I don't know what I'll do with it! heh. Anyways they said that how they apply it is with a spray gun or something (probably pumped out a 5 gallon pail) over the entire car, trim and glass and all, and wipe it all off after...

Yup, Lexus uses Pro-Tech too here and I too got a kit of this stuff...I like the box that it came with has a picture of my vehicle but it's just sitting on a shelf collecting dust...I wanted to give it a try but I but much better products so it will sit there for a wile.

supercharged
06-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Nope...Nope....Nope: They typically use PermaPlate (I have a gallon of this at the shop...hoping mold will set in so I can justify throwing it away).

PermaPlate's only redeeming feature is that it won't stain trim (acts like Meguiar's #26 in that regard). I've tried it on a couple of BMW's..easy to apply and ho-hum/yawn results. Dealers like this stuff for the no-stain feature and it's available at local paint suppliers.

A good application of Wolfgang would put this product to shame.

Toto
maybe it varies from a dealer to dealer. After all, not all of them use the same product. And if it was mentioned "the best Megs has to offer", and "sealant", I can only think of these two.