PDA

View Full Version : Should microfiber towels be washed after each use?

Equalizr
07-14-2013, 11:31 AM
I just used a new pair of microfiber towels for some XMT 360 spray wax, one towel to spread after spraying the wax and the other one to polish afterwards. which I do each week after washing the car, to keep it looking great till the next big wax. (I just put them in the wash with a little Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator detergent) Can I reuse the towels each week or should they be washed between each use? (every week)
Also I would think a microfiber towel used to remove wax should be washed after each use?

One more question let them air dry or put them in the dryer after washing, not in a rush to use them again till the next week.
thanks in advance.

theblob640
07-14-2013, 11:40 AM
No matter what purpose I use the mf towels for, as soon as I am done, they go into a dirty mf towel bin. I do not wash it right away though since it would be a waste of water since I haven't used enough towels to throw in a washing machine. Instead I have a lot of ready to use mf towels to use until I have used enough for a full load. So instead of lets say 15 mf towels on hand for one session only. Buy enough towels for maybe 3 sessions and then wash the towels after the 3rd session.

glen e
07-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Wash like clothes every time, dry in dryer, no dryer sheet

GS2011
07-14-2013, 11:45 AM
No matter what purpose I use the mf towels for, as soon as I am done, they go into a dirty mf towel bin. I do not wash it right away though since it would be a waste of water since I haven't used enough towels to throw in a washing machine. Instead I have a lot of ready to use mf towels to use until I have used enough for a full load. So instead of lets say 15 mf towels on hand for one session only. Buy enough towels for maybe 3 sessions and then wash the towels after the 3rd session.

:iagree:

Equalizr
07-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Good idea on having quite a few around and rotating them every 3 times, do you use Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator detergent each time they are washed or what ?
any plus or minus for the dryer as opposed to air drying?

theblob640
07-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Good idea on having quite a few around and rotating them every 3 times, do you use Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator detergent each time they are washed or what ?
any plus or minus for the dryer as opposed to air drying?

Right now, I am using BLACKFIRE Microfiber Cleaner & Restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-microfiber-cleaner.html) with great results (never tried the Pinnacle one) and add in a splash of vinegar during the rinse cycle. I also just throw them in the drying machine as opposed to air dry, I seem to get softer microfibers when I dry them via drying machine. I haven't had any problems yet. Just remember when drying with a drying machine, NO DRYER SHEETS.

grego33
07-14-2013, 11:56 AM
I have a question along these lines. I've been looking at the vast selection of towels available along with reading a lot of advice like in this thread.

So just to use this one as an example having a stock of 3 rotations of 15 towels at what I'm finding to be about $7-$8 each on average that's about a $350 investment.

Is that right? It seems high to me so I'm not sure if my interpretation of the quality of towels people use is too high or if my expectation of the cost isn't realistic. Recommendations make it sound like everyone has a huge supply of 500-600 gm towels. I suspect it's more like people have a few of those along with a lot of all purpose bulk towels.

Just looking for some clarification so I can have a more realistic vision.

bmartin07
07-14-2013, 09:56 PM
im not sure how correct this way of doing things is but seems to work great for me...as soon as i am done with my towels i throw them in a bucket with dawn dishsoap and warm water and let them soak(sometimes for a few days) before i wash them.

af90
07-14-2013, 10:10 PM
I have a question along these lines. I've been looking at the vast selection of towels available along with reading a lot of advice like in this thread.

So just to use this one as an example having a stock of 3 rotations of 15 towels at what I'm finding to be about $7-$8 each on average that's about a $350 investment.

Is that right? It seems high to me so I'm not sure if my interpretation of the quality of towels people use is too high or if my expectation of the cost isn't realistic. Recommendations make it sound like everyone has a huge supply of 500-600 gm towels. I suspect it's more like people have a few of those along with a lot of all purpose bulk towels.

It depends if you do rinseless washes with reusable wash media or switching wash media by section. As well as how many towels you use, do you use them to dry, etc... Look up bulk companies like microfibertech to grab a bulk towels, you could pick up 30-40 for under a $100 there.

im not sure how correct this way of doing things is but seems to work great for me...as soon as i am done with my towels i throw them in a bucket with dawn dishsoap and warm water and let them soak(sometimes for a few days) before i wash them.

That's what I've done, or put it in some water with APC. Then wash when I'm able, no harm so far.

Vegas Transplant
07-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Whatever floats your boat.
Any negative consequences (swirls, RIDS, tracers, etc.) will be on you.
On the flip side, if it's working for you...:props:

Happy detailing...:buffing:

jgg85234
07-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Here's what I have to take care of 1 SUV and 1 car
16x16
6 CG Sasquatch $24 (Paint)
7 AGO Arctic White $36 (Paint)
6 MFTech Korean Gray $25 (Paint)
6 ADS (MFTech) Korean Blue $24 (Paint)
12 CG Professional Grade Premium $18.95 (Paint)
3 CG Ultra Plush $11 (Paint)

These I toss when they get too dirty
72 Costco Kirkland $29
12 ADS Premium Microfiber $12
12 from one of my customers (Janitorial Supply Co.) $0 (should have been $12)
1 Autozone $5 (wipe floor!)

25x36
2 AGO 530 Supreme $20 (Paint)
2 CG Woolly Mammoth $36 (Paint)

Total Expense $241 or $253 if I count the free ones.

I haven't run out of towels on any weekend, and if I only use a few on a given weekend, I usually just keep them in a bucket with some MicroRestore until I have enough to wash them.

I caught some great sales at CG, and bought the AGO ones on BOGO.

That seems to be enough, other than replacing ones that go bad. Since the only ones I've tossed are the Costco ones, I do not have repetitive expenses for Microfiber towels.

I acquired the set a few at a time, and unlike most of our fellow forum members:), I've actually stopped buying any more.:nomore:

And, yes, you should wash them before you use them for the first time. The ones from MFTech and ADS looked like they were already washed before I got them, and they were sealed in plastic.

Jim

swanicyouth
07-14-2013, 10:56 PM

I think you would almost have to be crazy to pay 8 bucks for a towel. Not when you can get the same towel (or one better) elsewhere for about $3.

I have a lot of towels, but you have to be smart when you buy them. There is no way you should be paying $8 a towel if your buying a bunch of them.

c8n
07-14-2013, 11:17 PM

I think ive spent about $150 on towels.
Have about 35 mf for wash/dry and the 6 mf for polish/wax.
Oh... then i have about 40 cheap one from BJ's for interior/wheels and etc.

You should have different quality mf for the job they will be doing.

FUNX650
07-15-2013, 10:34 AM
I try not to ever mix MF-towels that are used solely for paint, with those that I use
on/for other vehicle surfaces, whenever they are to be washed.

Do I wash them after each use? Can't remember exactly nowadays.
I'd say: Probably...But usually not right away.

Come to think of it...
I treat MF-towels I use solely on/for auto-glass similarly.

:)

Bob