PDA

View Full Version : Car repaired after accident

RandyD
07-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Got hit from behind a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately noone was hurt. Car has been repaired. They did not need to replace the panel in the back, they repaired it and painted it. Also gave me a new plastic bumper. How long till I can wash? Wax?

Thanks

sproketser
07-14-2013, 12:17 PM
As for washing & waxing it , avoid pressure washers for one to 3 months depending on paint used , ask painter that did it .

TurboToys
07-14-2013, 12:21 PM
typically 90 days for a complete cure, some shops will speed up the process if they have the proper curing lamp setup, and they will shoot it with heat for an extended period of time to help the solvents finish evaporating. but your best bet is to just wait the time and apply afterwards.

wash any time, but be aware that you should be extra extra careful if you don't want scratches, new paint in the first few weeks is extremely soft (which is why a good color sand done right after a paint job is much easier), so you may want to just do some touchless washes with a foam gun or something unless you want to polish out scratches before you can protect it.

also, be sure you keep your receipts for the work, and watch for peeling on plastic, some shops don't use the right bonding prep agents for plastic which causes paint to peel and chip easily from the surface.

RandyD
07-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks for your help guys. I will keep the receipts as I have a lifetime guarantee. This place was referred to me by my insurance company and it has been in business for at least 20 years. I'll also wait at least 3 months before I wax. I will wash in a couple of weeks.

sproketser
07-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Cool , make sure NOT to use pressure washer fella for the first 3 months also .

Do you know what paint was used for the job , it would help allot here .

As turbo said , if it s cured painted , it can be done quicker , you gotta know these .