PDA

View Full Version : How "you" apply to pad

DogRescuer
07-14-2013, 07:23 AM
Hi I was wondering

What "your" method is for applying priduct too a da pad prior to applying it to your car? And why?

Ive been using the criss cross method, putting machine down, turning on spreading product and then working in.

I think im using to much, pad gets soaked.

Please help.

af90
07-14-2013, 07:46 AM
apply it in a circle or x to prime. Put a couple drops, spread it over the working area without turning the machine on. This limits slinging products, just enough so there's no goops of built of products. Turn the machine on 4 for mf, 5 for compounds and work horizontally, then vertically in a cross-hatch method. I think that's what you meant. It's important to brush out your pads every panel or 2, are you doing that?

And what do you mean soaked? Which products is this with? If it's a DAT such as Menzerna you could be getting this by not fully breaking down the product then adding more before it flashes.

DogRescuer
07-14-2013, 08:09 AM
apply it in a circle or x to prime. Put a couple drops, spread it over the working area without turning the machine on. This limits slinging products, just enough so there's no goops of built of products. Turn the machine on 4 for mf, 5 for compounds and work horizontally, then vertically in a cross-hatch method. I think that's what you meant. It's important to brush out your pads every panel or 2, are you doing that?

And what do you mean soaked? Which products is this with? If it's a DAT such as Menzerna you could be getting this by not fully breaking down the product then adding more before it flashes.
Thhank you. I usually prime with a qd, so can I just dab the product on in nickel sizes?

Yes I clean on fly.

Im using Megs 205/21 or a Meg AIO and by "soaked" I mean to much product in pad.

af90
07-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Thhank you. I usually prime with a qd, so can I just dab the product on in nickel sizes?

Yes I clean on fly.

Im using Megs 205/21 or a Meg AIO and by "soaked" I mean to much product in pad.I pretty much do this

Priming a foam pad (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html)

Are you using foam pads and how many per car for each step? If it's only one foam pad I see that as well and is a reason why many will recommend using 2 pads per car at least.
(http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html)

poweraid
07-14-2013, 08:35 AM
what kind of pads u using ? some pads just soak up more than others . lc flats vs hybrids/ht. closed/open cell pads . on a car I use 4 pads min for each step.

DogRescuer
07-14-2013, 08:41 AM
what kind of pads u using ? some pads just soak up more than others . lc flats vs hybrids/ht. closed/open cell pads . on a car I use 4 pads min for each step.

Wow 4 pads ok I need more. They are LC pads, but Im not sure if theyre open/closed.:confused::confused::confused:

ski2
07-14-2013, 08:55 AM
on a car I use 4 pads min for each step.

+1 on the four pads per step at a minimum--you see so many posts of people who have poor results or pads melting only to find out they tried to do an entire car with one pad.

The polishes I use work best if the pad is not primed so for the first section I start with 4-5 pea sized drops then add 2-3 for each additional section--clean on the fly with a denture brush from the Dollar Store and a MF towel after every other section and alternate between two pads for half the car then alternate between two additional pads for the second half--this gives the pads time to cool--never had a pad separate from the Velcro or collapse in the center from heat.

greatwhitenorth
07-14-2013, 10:21 AM
I prime the pad with a circle and "pick up" dots of products along the way.
I can see using 4 pads on the first stage of a correction, but it just seems inefficient to use 4 pads on a sealant. You would just be wasting product re-priming a new pad when the pad you're using isn't dirty....

Sleypr
07-14-2013, 10:25 AM
I give my pad(s) 2-3 shots (trigger pulls) of pad conditioner and 8 pea sized drops of product to start. Then I go back to 4-5 drops of product. Has worked great so far, I've tried the X pattern as well but found I had way too much product.

af90
07-14-2013, 10:27 AM
I prime the pad with a circle and "pick up" dots of products along the way.
I can see using 4 pads on the first stage of a correction, but it just seems inefficient to use 4 pads on a sealant. You would just be wasting product re-priming a new pad when the pad you're using isn't dirty....For applying LSP's one pad is usually good enough for me, since it's on a speed 3 or so and you're really just spreading not actually working the product. With the little pressure applied the temperature buildup and wear and tear is minimal.

I've found 2 works for foam unless you're doing really heavy compounding or polishing. But it's all situation dependent, if you can use more it will probably be better just not as necessary.

ski2
07-14-2013, 10:40 AM
For applying LSP's one pad is usually good enough for me, since it's on a speed 3 or so and you're really just spreading not actually working the product. With the little pressure applied the temperature buildup and wear and tear is minimal.

I've found 2 works for foam unless you're doing really heavy compounding or polishing. But it's all situation dependent, if you can use more it will probably be better just not as necessary.

Agreed, one pad is enough for each LSP you plan to apply. I was refering to compounding and for polishing as it's important to use clean pads for polishing even though the pad doesn't get filled as badly.

DogRescuer
07-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Thanks to all!:bowdown:

swanicyouth
07-14-2013, 10:57 AM
I put enough product on the pad in whatever pattern to spread it out with my fingers to cover the whole pad. Just enough so the color of the product is all over the face of the pad. I use products very sparingly, so there is a lot of pushing around with my fingers. I think they call this the Kevin Brown method.

But, I don't wipe it off the pad after that (which I think is part of the KBM) - I just apply it sparingly to being with. After that its 3 dots if product the size of a nickel or dime. I usually give the pad 1 spray of WG pad conditioner as well. One spray only, any more is too much.

2shiny
07-14-2013, 12:10 PM
after putting product in a circle or X pattern on the pad, do you use it like that for the first section,and just go over the section at low speed?

greatwhitenorth
07-14-2013, 12:20 PM
after putting product in a circle or X pattern on the pad, do you use it like that for the first section,and just go over the section at low speed?

I still add some o the first section, most of the "x or circle" I rub in to the pad stays in the pad