PDA

View Full Version : Speeds for HF DA?

beamerstrumpet
07-14-2013, 03:29 AM
Just got a HF DA, and Yes, I know their pads are not the best but Im having to use whats on hand at the moment.

So Would the speed settings be comparable to a 7424? Once I get the DOT over spray off, Im going to do the whole car. 5 step. Just want to not ruin it by using wrong speeds. So you guys out there with the HF, Feed back please
I do plan on getting better pads and backing plate. just not now. too much money spent already.

From what I have watched people do, Ill give the pad a mist of QD and prime the pad. Using the Megs ultmate compound and polish.

Thanks in advance
Scott.

CCC4me
07-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Just got a HF DA, and Yes, I know their pads are not the best but Im having to use whats on hand at the moment.

So Would the speed settings be comparable to a 7424? Once I get the DOT over spray off, Im going to do the whole car. 5 step. Just want to not ruin it by using wrong speeds. So you guys out there with the HF, Feed back please
I do plan on getting better pads and backing plate. just not now. too much money spent already.

From what I have watched people do, Ill give the pad a mist of QD and prime the pad. Using the Megs ultmate compound and polish.

Thanks in advance
Scott.

One of the best attributes of a DA is that it won't hurt anything unless you use it as a hammer against the side of your car. I just run it where it "feels" right. The speeds run very similar to the PC, Most work is in the 4-5 range with some heavier compounding needing a bump up to 6. The HF foam pads actually aren't bad, but the backing plate blows! A few bucks on a backing plate will save you not only headache, but money as well since the plate that comes with it can chew up your expensive pads. When you change the backing plate don't forget the washer that goes on the stud between the spindle of the machine!

Axman
07-14-2013, 11:22 AM
I just got one this spring myself, alway used a direct with a verable speed without any problems. I used the HF pads and hate them the faster the speed the more the back of the HF pad shredded and left this pad dust everywhere. The hook and loop also can off the back of the pads. This is my first DA so I'm still learning but I found 2 for spreading compounds,polishes ,and wax/ sealants . 5-6 for compounds. 4-5 for polish. 3-4 for wax / sealants on and off ( with MF bonnet )
But you best bet is to get a feel for it by trying a test spot.
And the price for the HF is more costly to me because they seem to be a one use pad.

CCC4me
07-14-2013, 11:24 AM
I just got one this spring myself, alway used a direct with a verable speed without any problems. I used the HF pads and hate them the faster the speed the more the back of the HF pad shredded and left this pad dust everywhere. The hook and loop also can off the back of the pads. This is my first DA so I'm still learning but I found 2 for spreading compounds,polishes ,and wax/ sealants . 5-6 for compounds. 4-5 for polish. 3-4 for wax / sealants on and off ( with MF bonnet )
But you best bet is to get a feel for it by trying a test spot.
And the price for the HF is more costly to me because they seem to be a one use pad.
Changing the backing plate will cure your ills. Also, you're starting and stopping while on the paint, right?

tuscarora dave
07-14-2013, 11:50 AM
I keep mine turned all the way up to speed 6. Been using it since Thanksgiving and haven't turned the speed back once. I will mention that I have 3M 5" backing plates with the cooling holes in them (I only use this machine for compounding/polishing) so the pads don't overheat on me at speed 6. Just like anything else, test, test, test until you find the right speed where you're getting the work done without overheating pads.

Chances are good that you'll end up melting the velcro on that crappy Warrior brand backing plate before you get through the next few jobs.

tuscarora dave
07-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Oh yeah, also forgot to mention that all I use on the HF DA with the vented backing plate is MF pads. 5"

Axman
07-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Changing the backing plate will cure your ills. Also, you're starting and stopping while on the paint, right?

I agree that change the backing plate MIGHT help, but it about a buck more to get good pads not going to keep spend money on some thing that keeps failing, I have purchased 8 so i could change and start frech when they get contaminated and the only have 2 (black) left and have only did a F150 and solstice.
As far as starting and stopping go it only take one time of cleaning up to learn how to start and stop
I was just trying to share my personal experience to the OP.

beamerstrumpet
07-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Dave, thanks for the info, I am well aware that I need the 5 inch backing plate. Is that vented plate good for foam pads also or do they have to be the bumpy 3M pads?

CCC4, Thanks for the speed info.

Steelman
07-14-2013, 11:49 PM
I have the H.F. DA The first thing I did was put a 5" b/plate I use 5 1/2" Buff & Shine Foam Pads. I use the speeds the same as with the PC and others. I've had good result and no problems.

ski2
07-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Dave, thanks for the info, I am well aware that I need the 5 inch backing plate. Is that vented plate good for foam pads also or do they have to be the bumpy 3M pads?

Detailers Domain has a 5" vented backing plate that will work with all pads. Another option is to have enough pads and use them in sets of two. Use pad 1 for two sections, then clean it on the fly and set asside to cool while you use pad 2 for a couple of sections, then clean it and return to pad 1, etc, etc. Then switch to pads 3 and 4 and alternate them for the second half of the car. My VW has very hard paint and I use this technique, do the whole car on speed 6 with my GG DA and have no pads overheat.

tuscarora dave
07-15-2013, 07:58 AM

Any pad that fits properly over the edge of the backing plate. I have a few older LC foam finish pads that I use in addition to the MF discs. The vented plates is where it's at with any DA. Once you use one for a while, you'll never want to go back to a regular backing plate. The 3M vented 5" backing plates are very thin and light weight. they're also very strong and absolutely resistant to heat damage.

I've done this on a few different occasions and the hook and loop material was unaffected each time, where other plates (with black velcro) melt down in the center. It's a shame though, it seems 3M has discontinued this backing plate.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/01%20Corvette%20paint%20correction%20and%20Opti-Coat/003.jpg (http://s528.photobucket.com/user/tuscaroradave/media/01%20Corvette%20paint%20correction%20and%20Opti-Coat/003.jpg.html)

tuscarora dave
07-15-2013, 08:18 AM
I really think these HF polishers are hit or miss, in that some perform awesome and others perform poorly. At least that's what seems to be by reading some people's experience. I can say that the one I got is a hit for sure. This machine performs better that all the other DA polishers I have tried. These include the PC 7424 and XP, the GG 6" ROP, the Meg's G110V2 and the Surehold which is essentially the GG ROP. It was a little noisier at first but now that it's been very well broken in it seems to have quieted down a bit.

Until I got my technique dialed in with it, I had burned up a lot of backing plates like the one shown below.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/037-5.jpg (http://s528.photobucket.com/user/tuscaroradave/media/037-5.jpg.html)

beamerstrumpet
07-16-2013, 01:57 AM
Any pad that fits properly over the edge of the backing plate. I have a few older LC foam finish pads that I use in addition to the MF discs. The vented plates is where it's at with any DA. Once you use one for a while, you'll never want to go back to a regular backing plate. The 3M vented 5" backing plates are very thin and light weight. they're also very strong and absolutely resistant to heat damage.

I've done this on a few different occasions and the hook and loop material was unaffected each time, where other plates (with black velcro) melt down in the center. It's a shame though, it seems 3M has discontinued this backing plate.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/01%20Corvette%20paint%20correction%20and%20Opti-Coat/003.jpg (http://s528.photobucket.com/user/tuscaroradave/media/01%20Corvette%20paint%20correction%20and%20Opti-Coat/003.jpg.html)
So no hope of getting a vented backing plate from 3M? Why do company's drop great products? OH I know,, they cant sell more cause they don't break!!