PDA

View Full Version : Love keeping my car clean

Pages : [1] 2

stilltipping3
07-14-2013, 02:04 AM
Hello, I was just wondering if any1 else loves to keep their car clean everyday even though it is not dirty. I mean like to quick detail it as much as possible. I cant stop and it is 105degrees out here. I am sweating like a pig but I just love to wipe my car down, keep it smooth and soft like a baby's bottom. Am I the only one who has this much time on their hands? I don't think so but I would love to hear from you. Im the MAN:buffing::dblthumb2:

silverfox
07-14-2013, 06:36 AM
How long have you had this desire ? At some point I predict you will someday damage your paint.

We all go through this but once you induce a few self induced swirls by constantly touching the paint , you'll get over it. It will happen. Your car gets dust on it every minute of every day garage or no garage. At some point in your rush to wipe, you will damage the paint.

The objective is to touch the paint as little as possible. I wash once a week and never touch the paint between washes. I have discovered that this is my ticket to keeping it swirl free. Constant daily wiping no matter how careful I was ...was counter product and frankly 98 % of people looking at your car won't notice the imperfect surface.

mwoolfso
07-14-2013, 06:50 AM
I will QD my vehicle anywhere from zero to 4x per week. It just depends on my mood and how much free time I have. Could I instill swirls, yep it is possible but it is also possible that it won't happen. I find it relaxing and also have a chance to inspect the paint for any issues that require spot-corrections.

Notwithstanding the validity of Silverfox's comments, it's your car and you should enjoy it any way you like. If you instill a few swirls then you get to remove them. :-)

hernandez.art13
07-14-2013, 12:25 PM
The tools (MF, Clay, Pads, waxes) need to be harder than the paint to scratch the paint IMO

Every time you "touch" the paint it might introduce a scratch/mar even down to the microscopic level etc...

Thanks to AGO I have learned a bunch of new ways of not "touching" your paint. And still keeping it clean and healthy.

goldendodo19
07-14-2013, 12:44 PM
The tools (MF, Clay, Pads, waxes) need to be harder than the paint to scratch the paint IMO

Every time you "touch" the paint it might introduce a scratch/mar even down to the microscopic level etc...

Thanks to AGO I have learned a bunch of new ways of not "touching" your paint. And still keeping it clean and healthy.

Interesting to think about the "microscopic level"

BlackHawk
07-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Hello, I was just wondering if any1 else loves to keep their car clean everyday even though it is not dirty. I mean like to quick detail it as much as possible. I cant stop and it is 105degrees out here. I am sweating like a pig but I just love to wipe my car down, keep it smooth and soft like a baby's bottom. Am I the only one who has this much time on their hands? I don't think so but I would love to hear from you. Im the MAN:buffing::dblthumb2:

Its all fun and games till you realize you're doing more damage to your car than good.

HateSwirls
07-15-2013, 06:04 AM
I use to wipe my cars down daily, until I figured out I had to do more corrections.
It's hard to stand there and see the dust though, kills me to not touch it. Lol
Most of the time I hand wash it twice a week.
Sometimes instead of a wash I'll break out my GG Speed Shine, a bucket of water and several soft MF towels, I spray each paneldownwell, using a wet towel I gently wipe it in on directions with good results but as I said most of the time it's clean being for the two washes I do per week.
Wiping a car daily with DA isn't the way to go IMO but each their own.
It's what one likes to do or not to do really.

I have a vid on YouTube of me using the wash method using the Speed Shine.

Alansr
07-17-2013, 10:10 PM
I remember as a kid waxing my tonka trucks! When my dad would wax our car I would grab my trucks and start waxing. I learned real quick how to get wax out of the cracks of cars.

Before I knew any better, I used to wax my first car every time it rained. I had a green 73 Cougar with metal flakes. Thankfully I learned what not to do before I caused any damage.

Now I wash my GTO and the family's cars once a week and wax/detail every 2 months or so due to the relentless Texas sun.

DetailKitty
07-18-2013, 07:59 PM
I used to be that way as well...... Now I just deal with the daily dust and grime until I can wash/wax again.
On truly bad weather days, the car just stays in the garage. :xyxthumbs:

Wes Bremec
07-18-2013, 08:20 PM
I would rather have dust and grime sit on my vehicle and wait to do a proper wash method rather then taking a chance wiping the particulates into the paint. I've learned the protection such and wax, sealants, and coatings are your friend.

hernandez.art13
07-18-2013, 11:58 PM
I would rather have dust and grime sit on my vehicle and wait to do a proper wash method rather then taking a chance wiping the particulates into the paint. I've learned the protection such and wax, sealants, and coatings are your friend.

+1

I like how Larry from AMMO says adding layers of protection. (Something along those lines)

Christopher.Brown
07-19-2013, 12:10 AM

well stated.....

BUT, if its bird $hit, i pull out the QD i keep in my car with a MF towel and get it off asap with the grabbing technique....

Friends dont let friends have bird ish on their paint! :detailer:

LOL!

hernandez.art13
07-19-2013, 03:14 AM
well stated.....

BUT, if its bird $hit, i pull out the QD i keep in my car with a MF towel and get it off asap with the grabbing technique....

Friends dont let friends have bird ish on their paint! :detailer:

LOL!

True :D

Shortspark
07-19-2013, 07:03 AM
It all depends on the time you have. When I was working I had no time for constant car attention but when I retired I could devote whatever amount of time to my cars I wanted. I paid an extra $1600 for special three stage paint (Diamond White) on my ML350. It is hard as a rock and can't be hurt as long as you use a good QD and the right microfiber towel AND common sense. Even then you should not over do it and that is where the common sense comes in. A weekly wash followed by a QD or "topper" product is all that is really necessary between details. Under normal conditions any more than that is a waste of time but like I said, if time is not a factor and you have plenty of it go ahead and enjoy - just know that at some point you will have to correct the mistakes that you will eventually make.

DetailKitty
07-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Bird crap and this yellowy/orange crap from something.
I find it once in a while on the car and try and get it off asap. It still seems to leave marks in the clear coat! ###??? :mad: