PDA

View Full Version : I hate white paint!!!

Pages : [1] 2

bugguy67
07-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Just wanted to vent! Dont really have any thing to add that we all dont already know about the problems with white paint!...I think im going to start charging extra in the hopes nobody will want me to correct there "white' paint.....that is all...hope everyone out there in deatailers land are doing well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AG Online

hernandez.art13
07-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Try Jet Black Paint and IMO vent away

inDetail
07-13-2013, 08:23 PM
I don't think anyone likes working on white paint. I think we are so conditioned with darker colors and metallics giving us so much back when we step back and view a pristine detail. White gives you nothing in return. I always shoot for no stains in the paint. Usually means a lot of decon. Then polishing the hell out of the paint. So when the sun hits it at the right angle while you are looking at it makes your eyes burn. Then seal and wax. I think white is one of those colors that you have to jewel to get max shine and reflections out of it.

hernandez.art13
07-13-2013, 08:35 PM
+1 inDetail, eyes do burn :D

addysdaddy
07-13-2013, 08:42 PM
I don't have a problem with white paint. No it doesn't look like a pearl black when polished, but then again it stays much cleaner for so much longer as in no contest, so pick your poison. I drive an Audi and the Menz polishes seem to do a very nice job. The 4000 makes my Ibis White look very wet and then coat with your favorite wax, sealant or coating. There is always a ying & a jang to all of this detail stuff. I spend a lot of time on the decon process.

AeroCleanse
07-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Since I started using top quality polishes no paint color is harder to work with than any other color.

BlackHawk
07-13-2013, 10:23 PM
It's not about how hard it is to work ok, it's the outcome of all the work. White and silver don't give you as much of a difference as dark colors.

02whitetundra
07-13-2013, 10:25 PM
I also hate white paint. My truck is single stage white and a hassle to keep the paint looking its best. I just now noticed after using fk1000p a few days ago, that wax can be seen on the surface. I thought I removed it entirely while wiping it off. I can see it clearly at night though under low light conditions. I know I probably applied too much but it's hard to tell on white paint.

EvolutionDetail
07-13-2013, 11:01 PM
I have been working on my brand new 2013 White Tacoma for 3 weeks?
Been trying to apply gtechniq C1 + Exo on it correctly, but i kept getting residue. Have to hold a high power led light to STARE at it.

Gosh it hurts my eyes....

MarkD51
07-13-2013, 11:08 PM
I agree with the stated difficulties of seeing what you are doing on white paint. Just like any other color, it sure does help to have good artificial lighting when working on, and especially correcting the finish.

There are certain vehicles IMO, that just do not look better in any other color. One that sticks out in my mind the most, is the 1953 Corvette.

Four vehicles in my lifetime have been white. And I suspect that the next one, God willing, will be white also.

For one, it's a relatively "safe" color, having good visibility in both day and night driving. Two, with any mishaps-accidents, and body shop work, metallics and pearls can sometimes be almost impossible to get an exact match in paint.

And lastly, it's a "cool" color, much better at reflecting light, and heat, and an AC system in the summer usually seems to be more efficient to me.

With the black vehicles I've had, I usually noted that I had to drive them a long time, at high speeds to get comfortable during the hot days of summer, otherwise I was sweltering in them, no fun.
Mark

richy
07-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Boy, I'm going to disagree with you here for sure! White should "glow" when it's done right. For me, getting a white car to do is getting an easy job. It's a nice break from all the black ones I always get. HERE (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/65886-2013-300-srt8-charity-detail.html) is a white car I did that I was able to improve on a factory finish. I'll be posting a white Jeep Grand Cherokee in white in a day or 2 as well when I get the time. It came out great I believe. I will probably get white for my next vehicle.

Pureshine
07-14-2013, 12:32 AM
I love doing white paint if it done right comes out very nice. All you need is the right light for doing paint correction on it and we have 3 white cars at home.

FFguy808
07-14-2013, 12:45 AM
I just love when a white paint is so clean, its refreshing to look at.

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p323/FFguy808/A475789E-D6B7-4672-ABCC-39BA4551731B-1965-0000038A5E10080B.jpg

inDetail
07-14-2013, 01:42 AM
I understand what you guys are saying. You can make white have depth, gloss and glow. I just find them personally boring to detail. I never had major problems with white paint. (Decon can take some time.) I just like the feeling of starring into the deep reflections of dark colors and the blinding, popping shimmer of metallics.
With white you say that looks really good, clean and crisp. Just like you said FFguy808 it's refreshing.
For me darker colored cars and metallics can cause me to get lost in the paint and drool.

stilltipping3
07-14-2013, 02:41 AM
I love my white car and it always looks good! In the sun I keep it so shiny it blinds you without sunglasses. Well, that is just the way I see it. Don't hate white, cuz once u go black you don't turn back! LOL