PDA

View Full Version : Acura TL Bra Paint Damage

eriddler
07-13-2013, 01:57 PM
I have a 2006 Anthracite Metallic TL and recently moved across the country. I usually put the bra on during moves (in the military, so it happens relatively frequently) with no issues. I had the bra on roughly 2 weeks which is normal, and had washed/waxed the car prior to the move.

Once I got to my new location and took off the bra, I noticed some type of damage to the paint on the hood...my guess is that some water with some type of chemical/contaminant got into the bra and sat there causing the issue.

My question is, what are my options? I'd like to take care of it myself and have used clay bars and some Meguiars 205 level stuff before, and have done research on a DA polisher. Or is this something I can't touch?

I have tried to just clean the vehicle and also applied the M205 with no change.

c8n
07-14-2013, 09:13 PM
If working by hand, should move up M105/UC
If with a DA, you could start with m205 with LC white pad.

eriddler
07-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll run out and grab some UC tomorrow and work that in by hand. Probably safer than jumping in with a DA...save that for if I can't get it out with the UC.

If working by hand, should move up M105/UC
If with a DA, you could start with m205 with LC white pad.

BlackHawk
07-14-2013, 09:41 PM
I really hope you can take care of that. There's always that chance it might have soaked the paint in a way. Kind of like how if you are in a pool for a long time and your finger tips wrinkle up, only when it comes to cars, it won't go away. But that's a worst case scenario tho.

eriddler
07-15-2013, 10:07 AM
That might be what happened...it looks like it is 'in' the paint vice on top, or a clear coat discoloration (if that is possible?). Just went over one of the areas 4 times with a MF towel and Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and not a single change to the issue. Not even sure if a DA is going to help...maybe someone can chime in...

I really hope you can take care of that. There's always that chance it might have soaked the paint in a way. Kind of like how if you are in a pool for a long time and your finger tips wrinkle up, only when it comes to cars, it won't go away. But that's a worst case scenario tho.

eriddler
07-15-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm about to spend $200 on Meguiar's DA and some pads/backing plate...but would like to hear if anyone thinks I should just take this to a body shop first!

eriddler
07-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Does anyone have other advice regarding the paint damage? As mentioned, I worked on it by hand with M205 and then UC to no avail.

Recommendations?

My current options are:

1. Spend ~$200 on a DA and pads, hope it removes the issue
2. Take to body/paint shop and see what they think

What do you guys think?

inDetail
07-15-2013, 08:17 PM
I would take it to a GOOD body shop and see what the think. If you have any custom car shops that paint they may be able to point you in the right direction. It looks like something made it change color actually. Is there any smell or residue on the bra?

eriddler
07-16-2013, 07:29 AM
No smell or residue that I can discern, though I took off the bra and washed it out with water before I noticed the issue with the paint. Like you said, where the water 'pools' in the bra the paint has had it's color changed slightly or something has seeped into the clear coat?

I'm going to call a local Acura dealer and see what paint shop they recommend.

I would take it to a GOOD body shop and see what the think. If you have any custom car shops that paint they may be able to point you in the right direction. It looks like something made it change color actually. Is there any smell or residue on the bra?

eriddler
07-16-2013, 05:55 PM
So had some advice from another forum to leave the car in the sun all day...course, it had been raining for the last two weeks but today it was 91 and sunny. After about 6 hours, all the 'damage' to the paint was gone.

Anyone know what this is called or what exactly causes it? Or have heard of it before?

BlackHawk
07-16-2013, 06:00 PM
That's pretty weird/interesting lol

FUNX650
07-17-2013, 03:52 PM
So had some advice from another forum to leave the car in the sun all day...
course, it had been raining for the last two weeks but today it was 91 and sunny.
After about 6 hours, all the 'damage' to the paint was gone.

Anyone know what this is called or what exactly causes it?
Or have heard of it before?
CC paint, to some extent (depending on its age, amount of contaminates that have penetrated, abrading/abrasives, etc.)...
Is...and/or...will become porous.

That's when, if the CC doesn't have a protective film like what a good LSP will provide:
Will be faced with the phenomenon known as:
Sorption (which can refer to either absorption or adsorption)

In your particular case...
It appears that: Adsorption was the culprit.
Its Helpmate? The: "State of the LSP" under the Bra was, no doubt, as if it had been debrided!!

Also:
Glad your 'water-logged problem' worked out for the best!!
Thank goodness for the Sun...and its healing powers (evaporation, in this scenario).

:)

Bob