PDA

View Full Version : New (used) vehicle, needs some loving

Jpatchley
07-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Hi there everybody. I'm new to this forum and tried searching, but maybe this way will be more direct. I have a Turtle Wax 6" orbital polisher from Wal-Mart, Meguairs compound, polish, and clay bar kit. I also have Collinite 845. We bought the car, Candy Red 2012 Mustang a few days ago and needless to say it has many swirl marks, and a few scrathes. I'll try and post some pictures of what I'm talking about. I washed, dried, clayed, compounded, polished, and then waxed a small 2x2 area and there are still many swirl marks. If anything all I did was make the area shining. Could it be because I'm using the el cheapo polishing pads and polisher? Or what? I've watched tutorials on here and I did everything as Mike showed in on of his instructional videos, so I'm thinking that the issue. Any advice? Sorry it's a little wordy, but thanks in advance!!!

DirtyBlackHoe
07-12-2013, 01:34 PM
More than likely the machine that you have is more of a "wax" machine and not a DA...it doesn't have enough power to "cut" in order to remove the swirls.

hernandez.art13
07-12-2013, 01:37 PM
More than likely the machine that you have is more of a "wax" machine and not a DA...it doesn't have enough power to "cut" in order to remove the swirls.

+1

Stick around and you'll be good

Art

zmcgovern45
07-12-2013, 01:39 PM
While the tools may be partially to blame, it seems it is more often the technique that is to blame. I say that in a non-offensive way in that we have all "been there, done that" when we were starting out.

Some typical mistakes are incorrect pressure (too much or too little can lead to sub par results), incorrect arm speed (typically beginners move too quickly which does not allow enough time for the product to do the work), incorrect machine speed (don't be afraid to amp up to full speed if your car needs some serious correction, DA machines are still very safe at full speed), incorrect number of passes (this comes with experience, but you may need to make several more passes across your given 2x2 section to see the desired results, sometimes 4 passes are enough, other times you may need to do 8... you just have to figure it out with testing and practice).

Even if your technique was perfect, it would not hurt to invest in a higher quality machine and pads. They really can make a difference and will not cost you an arm and a leg. Chances are that if you can afford a nice 2012 Mustang, you can afford to spend a couple hundred dollars on a Porter Cable or Griot's Garage machine and a nice set of foam and/or microfiber pads.

Best of luck!
-Zach

Jpatchley
07-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Ok, I'm thinking the machine may not be powerful enough and my technique probably could use some fine tuning. The machine I have is on/off, no speed dial adjustment. Do ya'll think this polisher would work better? It's operated with a power drill. Power System Tool - Walmart.com (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-DA-Power-System-Tool/22083702)

Jpatchley
07-12-2013, 01:55 PM
I agree with you, I went over the vehicle with six passes (up, down, side-to-side) but I probably went too quick. I would love to buy a pricier porter cable but I just hate having items shipped and all. Do you have any recommendations where I could get a better one locally? Like an autoparts store or lowes or something? :props:

While the tools may be partially to blame, it seems it is more often the technique that is to blame. I say that in a non-offensive way in that we have all "been there, done that" when we were starting out.

Some typical mistakes are incorrect pressure (too much or too little can lead to sub par results), incorrect arm speed (typically beginners move too quickly which does not allow enough time for the product to do the work), incorrect machine speed (don't be afraid to amp up to full speed if your car needs some serious correction, DA machines are still very safe at full speed), incorrect number of passes (this comes with experience, but you may need to make several more passes across your given 2x2 section to see the desired results, sometimes 4 passes are enough, other times you may need to do 8... you just have to figure it out with testing and practice).

Even if your technique was perfect, it would not hurt to invest in a higher quality machine and pads. They really can make a difference and will not cost you an arm and a leg. Chances are that if you can afford a nice 2012 Mustang, you can afford to spend a couple hundred dollars on a Porter Cable or Griot's Garage machine and a nice set of foam and/or microfiber pads.

Best of luck!
-Zach

zmcgovern45
07-12-2013, 02:00 PM
The price you pay in shipping is comparable to the price of tax, is it not? So I don't see the big issue. A porter cable is a machine that you will keep for a very long time and use on many future vehicles, so in my eyes, it is a MUST HAVE maintenance tool.

hernandez.art13
07-12-2013, 02:05 PM
^ I have this Jpatchley just never used it because I found www.AutoGeek.Net, this system does seem to work.

For $50 you can compound but then you'd have to polish, then wax

Which will run you close to the same as a Auto Geek kit (give or take)

Don't know your budget

This is lowest priced kit they have and if you do order through them take advantage of the promotions (free shipping etc...)

http://www.autogeek.net/poca74pofcop.html

Might need a more aggressive polish or even compound though, but that part is easy IMO

What state do you live in?

Jpatchley
07-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Which do you have? I live in Texas. Budget, I'd like to be under $200, seeing as I've already bought a bunch of useless car care materials (such as armor all, tire spray, etc.) before I found autogeek.

^ I have this Jpatchley just never used it because I found We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store (http://www.AutoGeek.Net), this system does seem to work.

For $50 you can compound but then you'd have to polish, then wax

Which will run you close to the same as a Auto Geek kit (give or take)

Don't know your budget

This is lowest priced kit they have and if you do order through them take advantage of the promotions (free shipping etc...)

Porter Cable 7424 Car Buffer, 7424 Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/poca74pofcop.html)

Might need a more aggressive polish or even compound though, but that part is easy IMO

What state do you live in?

hernandez.art13
07-12-2013, 02:09 PM

Not sure why it posted twice, using my iPhone lol

zmcgovern45
07-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Which do you have? I live in Texas. Budget, I'd like to be under $200, seeing as I've already bought a bunch of useless car care materials (such as armor all, tire spray, etc.) before I found autogeek.

I have the Rupes LHR21ES and the Porter Cable 7424XP, both fantastic machines.

hernandez.art13
07-12-2013, 02:18 PM

I have the Meguiars polisher and wax (I think, I am not home)

Canceled the rest of the order when I found Auto Geek

The PC kit I posted is $179, take advantage of the free shipping and since it is out of state for you. You won't have to worry about taxes (I think)

You can even call them to place your order and ask them for a few stickers :D

So $179 would be your total cost, I have the PC and a SnapOn Rotary