PDA

View Full Version : Repairing paint damage on corners and tough areas

mstrjon32
07-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Recently, I found myself needing to replace a rear tail light bulb in my Saturn Sky. It is quite a challenge to remove the tail light assemblies, and I tried to be gentle (the lady says that if it was my form of "gentle" it is no surprise it is damaged...) but of course managed to damage the paint in two very tough to correct areas. I cleaned the scratches out and since have put on two coats of touch-up paint and it looks better, but it clearly needs another few coats and then to be sanded. I've attached some photos so you can see where the damage is: right on the corner and in the small area below the tail lamp. The photos are blurry so it's kind of tough to see, but it gives you an idea of what I'm trying to fix.

I've done a little reading and my current plan is to put maybe 2 more coats of paint (I'm trying to carefully apply it using a very small brush, but it is hard to work, I almost feel as though it needs to be thinned somehow...), then to sand it (using what? 3000 grit paper, I don't know) attached to a pencil eraser, and then try and shine it back up using M-105, which I've read about here.

Any input on if this makes sense or how else I might proceed is greatly appreciated. I'd really prefer not to replace or get the bumper repainted, since I have never had a bumper cover repainted and been happy with the results. (I really miss the days of big, steel bumpers. They were totally functional and in my opinion looked much better than the plastic bumpers they design into cars now)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69330674/IMG_0210.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69330674/IMG_0211.JPG

If it's helpful, I can get better photos with the SLR camera, I took these quickly with my phone and they're pretty awful.

Incidentally, just two days ago a lamp in the other lens assembly burned out and I replaced it today. This time, I covered the entire area around the lamp with multiple layers of painters tape to avoid a repeat of this incident.

c8n
07-12-2013, 12:01 PM
I really can't see anything on the first picture. However, I do see in the second one. Nonetheless, if it was my car, I would just leave it as is.

swanicyouth
07-12-2013, 12:05 PM
I would touch it up and leave it. Life is too short to get into wet sanding something like that. Also, there is a chance you will just make it worse due to the area you are working in. Wet sanding on a corner like that looks dangerous