PDA

View Full Version : "Free interior detail!" *RANT*

Pages : [1] 2

greatwhitenorth
07-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Today, I decided to get my trucks windshield replaced, as there was a crack from one side to another. Since I was busy working I got a co-worker to drop my truck off at the glass shop. My truck wasn't "dirty" it had a light dust from typical summer driving with the windows down. When that co-worker came back with my truck at the end of the day I nearly lost it! I guess there is a policy at that glass shop where every windshield claim there you get a
FREE INTERIOR DETAIL!!!!!!!!
AWESOME DEAL RIGHT?!?!
Not so.
It looked like a can of extra greasy Armor-All had exploded in there. I can't describe how bad it looks so I hope the pictures do justice.
I have to show my truck to a potential buyer on Sunday but not like this!
And to put icing on the cake there's a good size paint gouge just in front of my rear bumper. :rant: :bash:

Needless to say I'm a bit ticked off.
/Rant over.

af90
07-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Bring it back for the paint gouge, but I'd take a damp towel and start removing some of that interior grease or whatever it is.

BlackHawk
07-11-2013, 11:43 PM
Definetaly go back for the gouge. No way in hell is that acceptable.

AeroCleanse
07-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Take it back! The paint chip in not acceptable, and the interior is nasty.

sharpreflection
07-12-2013, 12:38 AM
Griots has a interior cleaner that can be found at advance auto parts that will do a pretty good job of removing that crap unless you have a steamer.

greatwhitenorth
07-12-2013, 12:39 AM
I will be going back tomorrow to pay for the windshield work, and I will point out the gouge.
However I'm not expecting too much to be done about it because they'll just deny it up and down.
I'm also going to request they remove the word "detail" from their sign.

greatwhitenorth
07-12-2013, 12:41 AM
Griots has a interior cleaner that can be found at advance auto parts that will do a pretty good job of removing that crap unless you have a steamer.

thanks for the advice!
I have a few different interior cleaners handy through the shop and my personal supply but if they don't get the job done I'll defiantly look into the Griots stuff.

GenesisCoupe
07-12-2013, 03:22 AM
Wow is that Olive oil on that interior??! :(

Setec Astronomy
07-12-2013, 07:11 AM
To be fair, probably the reason they do the free detail is there is some sort of mess from the windshield replacement that they have to clean up or cover up, anyway.

hernandez.art13
07-12-2013, 08:10 AM
All this is from what I have learned please just take it as friendly information:

The interior Armor All job just fix it by doing it yourself, they might just wipe it off with windex.

The gouge go get a quote of the repairs and take it to them and tell them "this is how much to repair" (being friendly of course)

Before doing any of this (not recommending you do) seek further advice and stock up on a ton of information (in the time frame you have) the armor all is understandable IMO, a lot of non Detailers see shiny as a good thing. But the gouge IMO is not.

Good Luck
Art

hernandez.art13
07-12-2013, 08:10 AM
To be fair, probably the reason they do the free detail is there is some sort of mess from the windshield replacement that they have to clean up or cover up, anyway.

Makes sense

greatwhitenorth
07-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Like I said I would I went back this morning and just as expected I got the ole "nothing we do here woulda done that, people get looky and find marks 4 years old"
After I told him I clean my paint about every second day and I would have noticed the mark he still pressed that it wasn't them.

Nothing I can do now I suppose unless I convince my company to take our thousands of dollars of work a month to a different shop

AeroCleanse
07-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Like I said I would I went back this morning and just as expected I got the ole "nothing we do here woulda done that, people get looky and find marks 4 years old"
After I told him I clean my paint about every second day and I would have noticed the mark he still pressed that it wasn't them.

Nothing I can do now I suppose unless I convince my company to take our thousands of dollars of work a month to a different shop

For the paint chip you can always get an estimate to fix it the sue them in small claims court.

I would also complain to the BBB

Cadillac Kid03
07-12-2013, 12:16 PM
For the paint chip you can always get an estimate to fix it the sue them in small claims court.

I would also complain to the BBBBBB is useless i'm sure you have heard the stories about them.

02xtreme07SS
07-12-2013, 12:34 PM
This situation is terrible, bit there are a couple of things here to remember....

1. The 'free interior detail' itself didn't do any damage. Is it a mess by our collective standards? Absolutely. Is it something that you can remedy yourself without too much effort? Absolutely. Give it a good once cleaning and move on.

2. As you saw, they denied the paint damage. Unfortunately, it pretty much ends there because the vehicle was not in your possession to and from the repair facility. By having your co-worker take your vehicle for service, the windshield repair facility can say they don't know what happened to it from the time they were finished and your coworker left until the time you found the damage. This is a pretty solid defense for them. Am I suggesting your co-worker is responsible? Not at all, but he/she will become the scapegoat.

Was there a pre-inspection report completed by the company? If so, did it note the damage as pre-existing? If they did complete the report and it did not note the damage, it is possible you might have had some recourse. Unfortunately, the vehicle should have been inspected before leaving the windshield repair facility to eliminate the possibility of them claiming it happened after it left.

Like I said, this is terrible, but I don't think there is much you can do at this point but like you said, take your business elsewhere in the future.