PDA

View Full Version : If I bought a brand new primered body part, could I keep it outside?

DetailingGeek
07-11-2013, 02:31 AM
I am thinking of purchasing a vehicle that has cosmetic blemishes on the bumpers and mirrors, and other small areas. If I bought brand new replacement parts that are already primered, can I put them on the vehicle and leave it outside? Or do I have to get them painted first? If I can leave it primered forever, I would just leave the mirrors primered.

Also, how much money should I be saving at the body shop by having the parts already primered, compared to a part that's already painted a different color? Of course I will bring them the parts already removed from the car. It's already primered, so the prep work couldn't be much more than making sure it's clean. Around what should I expect to spend to get one bumper painted? Both bumpers? Both bumpers and a mirror? I live in an expensive major city. Shops don't like giving quotes over the phone. I've tried before and they have told me $500-600 just to paint one door, even if I removed the trim and/or removed the door from the car. Or the best line "we have to see it, just bring it in."

RedXray
07-11-2013, 03:12 AM
If the bumpers are plastic (urethane) it can be exposed to the weather but I wouldn't recommend it. New metal parts come with a primer called e-coat which is a tough primer but thin. So I wouldn't recommend letting e-coated metal body panels sit in the weather at all. Some painters will scuff down the e-coat and re prime before they paint, others will spray an epoxy sealer over the e-coat then base, just depends on the painter.

You won't be saving any money with these parts already in prime.

Plastic/Urethane bumpers get cleaned with a waterborn wax & grease remover, scuffed usually with a grey scotch bright pad and a scuffing paste, wash with a waterborn wax & grease remover again, adhesion promoter, basecoat, clearcoat.

Yeah no bodyshop will give any quotes without seeing what they'll be working on.

BradsDetailing
07-11-2013, 03:55 AM
I agree. This primer after it's sprayed on is as good as its going to be. Mother nature can ruin that.

RedXray
07-11-2013, 12:51 PM
I agree. This primer after it's sprayed on is as good as its going to be. Mother nature can ruin that.

Yeah it chalks up then dissipates leaving the raw substrate exposed to the elements. Also heat... If you have two identical cars outside in the summer sun, one just primer and the other painted, lean against the painted one it will be hot. Lean against the primed one and it can blister your skin from the heat. Paint not only protects, it acts as insulation from the blazing sun. We've all see older urethane bumpers that have been exposed to normal heat/cooling cycles get wavy and out of shape from the heat. Exposing raw (primed) plastics can be damaging and expensive.