PDA

View Full Version : best paint cleaner for opti-coat?

timaishu
07-11-2013, 12:16 AM
Long time no talk my fellow autogeekians.

I opti-coated my car around 1.5-2 years ago now and its still holding up great!... Except for horizontal surfaces. No beating on my hood, roof, trunk lid. I still have not figured out if it didn't stick or if those surfaces became so contaminated that they stopped beading. The beading would literally last a few weeks and then it would NEVER return despite how well it was cleaned. Which makes make think its gone, but the surfaces don't act like paint does that has never been waxed either as they aren't all that difficult to dry...

I just re-applied opti-coat to my hood yesterday because I am convinced it was completely gone as the water would just sit there..

Anyways, I was admiring the way my hood looked after polishing it and opti-coating. Is there a product out there I can deep clean my paint with without removing opti-coat? I want to deep clean my vertical surfaces and see if I can make them shine again like my hood.

I am worried that claying might induce swirls. Is there a product out there that will suit my needs?

john b
07-11-2013, 12:42 AM
perhaps a glaze without abasives?

Lost Highway
07-11-2013, 05:11 AM
I think you'd do better to ask Optimum that question rather than asking here but IIRC Optimum recommends Poli-Seal for "refreshing" Opti-Coat. Poli-Seal contains chemical paint cleaners and, I believe, some very mild abrasives. I would probably just use a no cut finishing pad but again I'd ask Optimum.

Driven Auto Detail
07-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Poli-Seal or Klasse AIO would be top two choices.

timaishu
07-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Bumping this for more ideas as I messaged Chris@optimum but he has not responded.

octane
07-21-2013, 05:34 PM
I detailed a F150 I opti coated two years ago, same thing, horizontal surfaces didn't have any beading.

So I washed with a strong mix of bug wash, Iron X soap, a citrus soap, a bit of beading came back, so I used full strengh IronX, then clayed the truck and the beading was back like day one!

theblob640
07-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Not sure if it applies, but how about the new Detailer's Coating Prep Polish 16 oz. Since it is used before using the DP coating, I don't see why it wouldn't work for opti-coat. Also, it gives you a chance to try out a new product and let everyone know how good it is.

KillaCam
07-21-2013, 05:48 PM
First I would try a clay bar. Then I would try a paint cleaner without any abrasives like duragloss squeaky clean. Iron x might be needed too. If the opti coat is still there on the vertical surfaces then it's probably still there on the horizontal surfaces, but the horizontal surfaces are more prone to contamination that kills beading.