PDA

View Full Version : Need buying advice, confused

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pbedrosi
07-11-2013, 12:04 AM
Newbie to area i'm about to enter. I've decided to buy a DA polisher and give up the hand stuff. I'm pretty sure on the Griots DA. However, my head is spinning on kit combinations and the detailing products. Sealer? Glaze? Wax? Polish? compound?

This is extend of my knowledge from buying retail non-professional stuff over the years. Meguiar makes legit stuff and so does 3M. Perfect it II/III whatever, these guys know chemicals. I've been reading so much hype on other detailing products that I'm not sure if we're still talking about cars. I may be completely off on this but i'm getting a bit of repackaged snake oil feel...again this is just my unprofessional observation.

I'm not at a pro or at "professor" level to tell the difference in many of the pads and chemical combinations you guys are debating. Frankly the more I read the more unsure I am about what to buy. Looking for solid stuff that is easy to work with, lasts, and makes people take notice of the work. And I want to stay in the $199-$225 range. I know there are better polishers out there and I could just order a bunch of stuff and experiment but i'd rather get some solid advice here from the experienced. $100 can of carnuba wax with a name I can't pronounce from a country I haven't been too...nah...not there yet.

My car? 2010 Mini Cooper S in Astro Black (metallic), paint in very good shape, well taken care of. I just hand applied turtle was black kit and few folks commented at work how nice it looks. But I'm not satisfied, I still see swirl marks and very small scratches.

On the topic of my car, I'm unsure if the 6" pad on the GG DA is the right size for the Mini's small panels and curved surfaces.

I do have access to few company cars I can learn on before attacking the Mini or my friends 911.

Thanks in advance for the help.

hernandez.art13
07-11-2013, 02:40 AM
I bought the PC Poor Boys kit. So IMO a kit you buy from Auto Geek will work. It just depends on what you are seeking.

My kit has worked out great, Menzerna has also been promising that and Adam's IMO

Evan.J
07-11-2013, 06:45 AM
I built you a nice package for what all you would need

GG6" Polisher 139.99
LC 5.5" Flat pads 6 pack 34.99
5" BP 17.99
Meguiars M105 8oz 10.99
Meguiars M205 8oz 8.99
Collinite 845 16.99
Sub total is 229.94

Not too bad gives you everything you would need for polishing. You would still need some good MF towels.

vet
07-11-2013, 06:53 AM
Welcome!

hernandez.art13
07-11-2013, 06:56 AM
That is a nice package Evan.J. I didn't know about Auto Geek Online until after I ordered my kit. Either way I'm happy.

Mike Burke
07-11-2013, 07:06 AM
I would replace the M105 with Ultimate Compound....so much easier to work with...

mikesal57
07-11-2013, 07:14 AM
I agree with what Evan has put together.....

But , even though the GG is a nice polisher , those 6.5 in pads are hard to deal with being a newbie..

Since you have a small car , the Porter Cable and 5.5" pads ( and a good 5" backing plate) would be better off
Also get a 3.5 backing plate and a 4" pad for all those hard to get areas

I'd get a orange for the 105( or UC )and a white for 205

I'm no expert but after going this a few times , I would have gone this way

Remember paint correction products and tools will be used only once
More $ will be spent on your washing and waxing stuff

Mike

BradsDetailing
07-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Any thought on 101 over 105?

Otherwise I like what Evan suggested

Evan.J
07-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Any thought on 101 over 105?

Otherwise I like what Evan suggested

M101 is great I just just trying to keep him in budget as must as possible.

The Ultimate Compound was a good suggestion! :props:

Mike I did suggest the 5.5" LC flat pad over the 6.5" I know what those larger pads are like to working with.

mikesal57
07-11-2013, 07:43 AM
M101 is great I just just trying to keep him in budget as must as possible.

The Ultimate Compound was a good suggestion! :props:

Mike I did suggest the 5.5" LC flat pad over the 6.5" I know what those larger pads are like to working with.

Yes you did....but I was suggesting to get the Porter Cable and save a little money

mike

Evan.J
07-11-2013, 07:59 AM
Yes you did....but I was suggesting to get the Porter Cable and save a little money

mike

Gotcha :dblthumb2:

Pbedrosi
07-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Great advice guys, I was feeling the same on pad size. I may stick to GG with larger spindle for larger cars in my families and friends garages (once I feel confident enough). And nice list for a package Evan!

Is the ultimate compound okay to use on paint that is decent in shape? I only ask because "compound" sounds like serious correction. I also read some great reviews on Collinite on Amazon, sounds very promising.

I may call and order tomorrow. I'll let you guys know.

hernandez.art13
07-11-2013, 09:34 PM
If I could go back I'd get the Griots because of the Life Time Warranty IMO

I still baby my PC However :D

Pbedrosi
07-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Just ordered! I ended up going with Porter Cable, It was the price difference of roughly $30 with discounts and recommendation of the sales guy the swayed my decision.

I did upgrade the pads to LC 5.5" CCS and LC backing plate.The rep almost convinced me 6.5" pads would be no problem to handle but I stuck to 5.5". I got the orange, white, and black pads.

For the detailing products, again stuck with recommendation here. Meg ultra compound, M205, and Collinite 845.

I'm excited the get started now. I'll post some pictures of before and after....i'm sure there will be some funny learning stories. Thanks again for all the recommendations.

hernandez.art13
07-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Congratulations

(Applause) :D