PDA

View Full Version : Please read this email from my client and Help! Thanks!

Pages : [1] 2 3

statusdetailing
07-10-2013, 08:45 PM
I have a client with a 1970 Opel GT. This isn't your everyday Opel. This thing has a stupid amount of mods and crazy stuff done to it. It's in a temperature and humidity controlled bubble in his garage. I think he has over 15k just in the paint job if...yikes!

I've only tried working on one seat (a mazda miata seat with what didn't look like original leather) that he removed out of this car. He claims that the whole car has been infested with mold.

I fogged the whole seat with a Safespace mold/mildew/smoke fogger, that I have had very good luck with in the past. I let that dwell for a couple hours. I steam cleaned the entire seat and even cleaned the rails and underside with my vapormaster 3000. I then applied meg's d180 conditioner.

I'll be dead honest. I couldn't really smell much if any mildew to start with and after I was done it smelled fresh and clean.

The guy said the smell came right back and the following is an email he is trying to get me to agree to. He's trying to convince his insurance company to pay to completely dissasemble his car and steam clean and fog the foam, behind door panels etc. He would have a local interior guy remove the leather etc, before I do my work. I don't know if I want to get involved in this craziness.

Here's the email. What do you guys think? It's been ozone treated as well. . . didn't work I guess.

Jeremy,

Below is the information we discussed earlier that is needed by my insurance company.

If you will reply to this e-mail by writing that you agree with this assessment and recommendation as well as including your company contact information for my claims adjuster, that would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding the mold issue in my 1970 Opel GT, we attempted to remove the infected area by doing a thorough dry steam cleaning and fungicide application over the entire exterior of one car seat that was removed and treated as a test sample before doing the rest of the interior.

The mold oder immediately returned within several hours which indicates the most seriously contaminated part of that seat was behind the upholstery and most likely inside the foam padding.

To treat this issue effectively, the covers will need to be removed and the back sides as well as the foam cores will need to be treated, dried and reassembled.

That approach will need to be done on all the other interior materials as well where the mold has spread, including door panels, front kick panels, rear side panels, back deck panels, front and rear seats, headliner and dash.

If that treatment isn't effective, all foam materials will need to be replaced since it's well known that once foam is contaminated with mold, eradication is almost impossible and full replacement is the only way to completely remove mold infestation.

erichaley
07-10-2013, 09:10 PM
I don't know your qualifications or level or involvement with this customer's car, but based solely on your statement vs his, it sounds like you may be potentially agreeing to something beyond your level of expertise. Please forgive me if I'm mistaken.

If anything, I'd offer to give him a signed affidavit describing exactly what you did to try and fix this issue as it relates to his claim. Leave the assessment as to what needs to be done to his car to an expert (if that expert isn't you), or maybe even an independent, non-invested third party. After all, you're a professional detailer, not an insurance adjuster...

beamerstrumpet
07-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Being a noob, and not a pro, My 2cents is this,
This guy sounds like a fanatic, He also sounds like the equilivant of a hypochondriac but instead of making up illnesses he is smelling what isnt there. Going by what you said, that you couldnt really smell anything when you started, then the car probably wont be any better after they rip out the seats.

When he said the smell returned, was this in his garage? Is he overlooking something obvious? Personally I would wash my hands of it. If you could tell him with out loosing a coustomer that you have gone the distance but you hope he will use you for paint and general interrior detail. I would not get involved with what could possibly be considered fraudulant insurance claims. He can take it and have it all redone at an aupoulsters but Ill bet the ins. will tell him its his own dollar.

That was a lot for 2cents, but I hope it helps. I also agree with the above statemet of giving an afindavit as to what you did do.

statusdetailing
07-10-2013, 09:20 PM
I consider myself an expert in detailing but this really just goes above and beyond what I normally do. I also have one of those bad gut feeling that this is one of those guys that just will never be happy no matter what.

Has anyone dealt with anything this extreme? Removing all the leather, carpet, panels. Not only would I not be willing to do the dissasembly, but I think someone that is at least an expert in classic cars, maybe even with a lot of experience with that specific car should be taking the car apart. I'll clean the parts once they are off, but that's about it I think.

It's just almost impossible not to break something when doing something that extreme to such an old car...

statusdetailing
07-10-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm thinking if the car is going to be apart anyway, why not just replace the foam, padding and maybe even carpet? Expensive? Yeah! but what if the cleaning doesn't work. He may blame me, something may get damaged. And, now he'll still have to replace everything plus the cost of cleaning it. . .which will have to be astronomical to make up for the risk and the crazy amount of time it's probably going to take.

jjj
07-10-2013, 09:24 PM
I consider myself an expert in detailing but this really just goes above and beyond what I normally do. I also have one of those bad gut feeling that this is one of those guys that just will never be happy no matter what.

Has anyone dealt with anything this extreme? Removing all the leather, carpet, panels. Not only would I not be willing to do the dissasembly, but I think someone that is at least an expert in classic cars, maybe even with a lot of experience with that specific car should be taking the car apart. I'll clean the parts once they are off, but that's about it I think.

It's just almost impossible not to break something when doing something that extreme to such an old car...

You nailed it. Never be happy is the key phrase. Back out. The red flag is your gut feeling. Liability is one thing but responsibility is another.

statusdetailing
07-10-2013, 09:26 PM
You nailed it. Never be happy is the key phrase. Back out. The red flag is your gut feeling. Liability is one thing but responsibility is another.

I think you are right. Does anybody else feel this way? I think if I can get a few more people to tell me to stay away it will help sway me to get the heck out of Dodge!

arack
07-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Run quickly the other way. This guy will never be happy.

davey g-force
07-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Removing all the leather, carpet, panels. Not only would I not be willing to do the dissasembly, but I think someone that is at least an expert in classic cars, maybe even with a lot of experience with that specific car should be taking the car apart. I'll clean the parts once they are off, but that's about it I think.

Maybe you can agree, on the condition of what you just said above?

He sure does sound fanatical...

erichaley
07-10-2013, 09:30 PM
I think you are right. Does anybody else feel this way? I think if I can get a few more people to tell me to stay away it will help sway me to get the heck out of Dodge!

You don't need anyone to confirm what your own gut is telling you...

g35_coupe
07-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Based on what you've presented, this has several red flags. Although nothing may come of it, to get you involved as a point of contact with the insurance company is pretty inconsiderate. He's on a "rampage" to get a whole new interior with you as witness. Like the others have posted, take a courteous bow with the expectation of losing him as a customer, or worse, gaining a bad referral. Give in once to this guy and you could be on the hook for future claims on other cars. Then what's your reputation going to be like? Don't do anything you might lose sleep over.

Flatlander
07-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Get out NOW! Go with your gut.

inDetail
07-10-2013, 09:36 PM
I agree with erichaley. Sign an affidavit of "exactly" what work you did. If he is claiming your process failed it's because his interior is beyond cleaning.
He needs to take it to an interior expert and have it completely gutted. It sounds like you gave your best effort and he is saying it did not work. I would walk away after signing the affidavit. I hope you got paid for what work you did. Unless you have a contract with him or he is your bread and butter I would roll.
It sounds like he knows his interior is done and wants his insurance to pay for it and needs you to tell them that.

psnt1ol
07-10-2013, 09:38 PM
I also have one of those bad gut feeling that this is one of those guys that just will never be happy no matter what.

I do believe your "Gut Feeling" is correct. There is only one possible scenario that this would end well and so many that wouldn't.

Setec Astronomy
07-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Sounds like he is trying to scam his insurance company to get a new interior, and he's trying to make you complicit. I'd stay away.