PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions of the Griot's DA

Kappy
07-10-2013, 05:00 PM
No, I haven't actually used it yet, but I'm hoping to finally attempt a test spot this weekend. I decided to open the box, which arrived a few weeks ago, and make sure everything was ready to go.

I was surprised that there's no information in the manual about how to change the backing plate, or any description of what to do with the additional parts that are included. I've seen enough videos to know about using the wrench, and I've read about the extra brushes, but I thought it was unusual not to include a parts list or directions in the manual. I spoke to someone in customer service at Griot's who said that they need to update the manual, especially since the only information on the website about changing the backing plates includes instructions for removing screws, which only applies to the original model.

The DA is a little noisier than I thought it would be, and there's no doubt I'll be wearing some type of hearing protection when using it. I don't recall anyone in any of the videos I've watched - and I've watched a lot of them - wearing any hearing protection no matter which DA or machine they are using. I hope that's just for filming and not a common practice. I've been a drummer most of my life and have been wearing ear plugs for a very long time, which I'm sure has saved most of my hearing. I'm very careful around any exposure to loud noise, and I think that using the DA would qualify as loud.

The DA is also heavier than I thought it would be. I'm guessing that probably helps do some of the work without the need for a lot of hand pressure on the front. I remember watching one of the Junkman videos where he talks about 9 - 14 pounds of pressure when using the Porter Cable DA, including the weight of the polisher, and I assume that's about the same for the Griot's. I took Junkman's suggestion and weighed the polisher to see how much additional pressure would be needed, and it's not really that much. I think that if I hadn't weighed it I might have used more downward pressure than necessary, and using a scale is a nice tip for someone new to using a DA.

I'm looking forward to at least doing a test so I'll have a better idea of which polish and pad combination will be the best option. Stay tuned for the next episode... :)

cleanmycorolla
07-10-2013, 05:08 PM
I don't think you'll need anything for your ears but that's just me.

Either way have fun with your new toy, I love my griots very very very much!

BlackHawk
07-10-2013, 05:15 PM
I don't find my PC to be too loud

greatwhitenorth
07-10-2013, 05:20 PM
I find it quite light and easy to use!
I do wear earbuds because the noise gets to me

Kevin Cullen
07-10-2013, 05:34 PM
I always wear ear protection when using it. Why take the chance IMO.

rmagnus
07-10-2013, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't worry about the downward pressure too much. Remember to mark your backing plate with a stripe and just make sure it keeps turning when polishiing. You'll get a feel for it quickly.

Gunslinger
07-10-2013, 06:09 PM
As far as the noise goes, do as I do...turn the radio up louder!

kevincwelch
07-10-2013, 07:48 PM
The GG 6 inch DA polisher weighs in at about 75 - 80 dB. This falls below the sound levels (>=90 dB) regulated by OSHA. OSHA permits 8 hours of continuous exposure to 90 dB noise, provided the employer take measures to either reduce the noise or provide employees with personal protective equipment.

Certainly no one would fault you for wearing ear protection, however, at the level produced by the GG DA polisher.

theblob640
07-10-2013, 08:36 PM
If you want to wear ear protection, just get some noise isolation earphones and listen to music while detailing with the DA, works great. The noise from the DA will be very very faint, but you will hear a lot more music than DA noise.

Kappy
07-11-2013, 03:25 PM
The GG 6 inch DA polisher weighs in at about 75 - 80 dB. This falls below the sound levels (>=90 dB) regulated by OSHA. OSHA permits 8 hours of continuous exposure to 90 dB noise, provided the employer take measures to either reduce the noise or provide employees with personal protective equipment.

Certainly no one would fault you for wearing ear protection, however, at the level produced by the GG DA polisher.

It's interesting that you would post this. Thanks.

I have a small recording studio in my home, and I used an SPL meter to set the average listening level to 83 db, which is fine as long as someone doesn't sit in front of the speakers for hours without frequent breaks.

I took a reading of the GG DA at different speeds, using the same meter, to get an idea of the average volume. At a speed of 1 it was about 82 db, but at 5 it was up in the mid 90s. It's possible that it's noisier when not actually being used for polishing, but to me it's not the type of sound that I would want to listen to continuously without wearing some type of hearing protection. Always a good idea to practice safe-polishing. :)

tpr1634
07-11-2013, 03:55 PM
I always wear ear protection when using it. Why take the chance IMO.

X2 especially when you have not worn ppe and now paying the price.:buffing:

Klasse Act
07-11-2013, 05:14 PM
The 6" GG RO isn't loud at all, not hard to use and IMO isn't heavy to me. Just check and make sure the backing plate is tight (remember reading about another brand having its backing plate flying off and damaging the guy's customers hood). Not sure why you'd need to remove the backing plate but that's just me. Love my 6" GG RO!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Kappy
07-11-2013, 05:27 PM
The 6" GG RO isn't loud at all, not hard to use and IMO isn't heavy to me. Just check and make sure the backing plate is tight (remember reading about another brand having its backing plate flying off and damaging the guy's customers hood). Not sure why you'd need to remove the backing plate but that's just me. Love my 6" GG RO!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
I want to put on the 5" backing plate I got for use with smaller pads.