PDA

View Full Version : A question asked to me today.

Hitman21
07-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Today I was asked by a someone just getting into the detailing world, if I have ever washed my foam pads in the washing machine. I told him how i clean my pads with a Grit guard universal pad washer, and pad rejuvenator.

So the question has me wondering if anyone has tried cleaning there foam pads in a washing machine and if it is a good or bad idea to do so...

Inzane
07-10-2013, 01:58 PM
If you meant hand applicator pads, then yes.
DA polisher pads, no I haven't tried.

However I do recall reading something either here or on another detailing forum that the Buff n' Shine branded pads apparently are designed to handle machine washing. I don't know if LC and others would also hold up.

zmcgovern45
07-10-2013, 02:00 PM
It has typically been advised to NOT wash foam pads in the washing machine, however it has been said that Microfiber Pads are ok to be tossed in the washing machine.

With that being said, I don't put any type of pad in the washing machine.

dsg03gt
07-10-2013, 02:04 PM
I have put my foam LC pads in the wash a couple times. Came out fine.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Ipsdrew
07-10-2013, 02:10 PM
I've washed my foam pads in the wash machine before and it didn't clean the pads hardly at all. I have an HE washer that doesn't have the center agitator so I figured I wouldn't have to worry about them getting chewed up . Sprayed with pad cleaner immediately after use, soaked in hot water with pad rejuvenator for 20-30 minutes, washed with laundry detergent, oxi clean, pad rejuvenator, air dried. Pads still came out with wax and polish stains. Resoaked in pad rejuvenator, sprayed with pad cleaner and worked it in by hand, agitated with brush and rinsed with warm water. Pads looked like new.

Becciasm
07-10-2013, 02:17 PM
I've had foam pads get torn up from the washer. I'm exclusively hand washing those.

applicator pads are cheap and easy to come by. Washer for them.

The Pad Man
07-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Because of the different machines, soaps, temperatures on the machines and different adhesives used for pads, You are better off using a pad washer or buscket washing your pads.

BlackHawk
07-10-2013, 03:03 PM
LOL the one time i accidentally put in some pads into the washing machine with my other microfibers, they all came out looking different colors :D my orange pad was brown, white pad was blue, and red pad was deep dark red haha

cleanmycorolla
07-10-2013, 04:42 PM
The sinks in our home is large so I put a grit guard in it and clean my pads in the sink and let them soak. Thankfully it's in the laundry room, I wouldn't use a kitchen sink or something.

I have before washed flat pads in a washer and there wasn't an issue, I'd think if you put them in your dryer, that be truly bad as it could cause the pad to separate? I'd assume.

iceman978
07-11-2013, 07:42 AM
I have one of the newer front loading high efficiency washers. I soak and brush my pads (both MF and foam) quickly at the end of a detailing job and then toss them in the washer on the 'handwash' cycle with warm water. They come out perfectly clean and I've seen no durability issues thus far (been doing it for 2 years). Just my $0.02, your mileage may vary of course....

queens guy
07-11-2013, 07:59 AM
I just spray with some pad cleaner and use a brush and they come out fine..