PDA

View Full Version : Helping The People In the Big Box/Auto Stores

Pages : [1] 2

Setec Astronomy
07-10-2013, 08:59 AM
The only product I have is a turtle wax rubbing compound. In my test area it didn't remove any scratches but did a great job on the water spots but also dulled the paint in that area.

This quote from a recent thread reminded me that last week I was in Wal-Mart, so as usual I was checking out things in the automotive and detailing aisles...so there is a couple standing there "discussing" which product to buy, and they are holding 2 or 3 bottles of Turtle Wax, I think it was the Premium Rubbing Compound, Premium Polishing Compound, and the Scratch & Swirl Remover.

I really wanted to butt in and tell them to grab the Meg's UC and/or UP that was right in front of them, but it looked like the TW stuff was much cheaper and I figured I would be wasting my time. It also occurred to me later that they probably had some sort of damage that wasn't going to be repairable, anyway--I mean since "civilians" don't see swirls, whatever induced them to visit that no-man's land of Wal-Mart, the auto dept., must have been pretty obvious...like a down-to-the-metal scratch.

Besides, maybe these Premium compounds in bottles from TW are better than the non-premium (cans), they do say the use "nano-technology". So what do other members do when they encounter consumers in-store who are less well-educated in car care than we are? I remember seeing some kids in Pep Boys arguing whether to buy the $8 or $10 wax, I didn't have the heart to tell them that even the $16 one wasn't that great.

goldendodo19
07-10-2013, 09:21 AM
One time at advance I asked the cashier if they were getting the new Megs products. After he told me he didn't know he asked me which wax he should use on his black BMW. I tried explaining to him to use ultimate polish first then maybe m26 or gold class to get some extra shine. He told me he's "buffed" his car out before. By this he meant he applied wax by hand and then buffed it off with a wax spreader. He didn't seem to smart so I stopped there.

Another time at pep boys a woman's as complaining how she had water spots on her car so the cashier tried selling her a clay bar kit. I told her that won't remove the water spots shed probably need a compound or water spot remover. The cashier kept pushing the clay bar so I just walked away.

Actually just the other day my friend told me about a "scratch" on his new camaro, it turned out to be the smallest rock chip I had ever seen. Anyway he tells me how he went on to buy touch up paint at the dealer and nu finish scratch doctor. I almost fell over but I knew it was helpless telling him not to buy that, heck he should have asked me in the first place since he knows Im into cars and do detailing.

FUNX650
07-10-2013, 09:21 AM
I always try my best to point out "better products" if the store carries them,
along with a brief explanation as to why I think so...
to folks in the predicament you listed.
Sometimes they pay heed...Sometimes they become quite bellicose.

-I also remember once saying, as a 'parting gift':
"You get what you pay for".
Funny how that "warning" seemed to have a hollow-echo...
especially when I realized that, I too, was standing inside of that Wal-Mart.

:)

Bob

poweraid
07-10-2013, 09:34 AM
I really like to help folks out when I see them trying to choose a product . there are plenty that I pass up on just cause well I don't think they really care . then those folks I see at the local wash bay, if I see them at least drying the vehicle off with bath towel after all they did was a pressure wash - if it's a decent vehicle I'll throw in a few words of wisdom . I do get asked a lot about my vehicle and my washing process too
I saw a fair lady and her hubby at the local touchless wash with their nice corvette , they ran it through and proceeded to dry with bath towels . oh boy o boy o boy !

Becciasm
07-10-2013, 09:52 AM
My stance is "don't speak unless spoken to"...

If my opinion on products is asked, I'll gladly share the ins and outs of most of the products available - what they do with that info is their business, but i'm not going to be offended.

Most of the time that I've been involved in these conversations, I end up just smiling and smh at their product 'wisdom' and move on.

Seems that most of the time they just want to talk themselves into their decision, rather than hear what will really work for their issues..

c8n
07-10-2013, 10:31 AM

+1

One time I got into a discussion regarding some paint transfer that looked like scratches at a friend's auto tint/accessories shop and the gentlemen asked, "can you do it for me?"

Umm... nope... at least not for free!

KillaCam
07-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Sometimes it's hard to convince someone to do or try a certain product.

This guy that works out at the gym I go to has a very nice newer Corvette grand sport and asked me what he should put on all the rubber seals.

I told him that Duragloss makes an awesome product (531) that is great on rubber seals. He proceeds to tell me he picked up some dielectric grease and will probably just use that instead. I even went as far as telling him I had some 531 at home and would let him use it and he still turned it down.

tuscarora dave
07-10-2013, 10:56 AM

If my opinion on products is asked, I'll gladly share the ins and outs of most of the products available - what they do with that info is their business, but i'm not going to be offended.

Most of the time that I've been involved in these conversations, I end up just smiling and smh at their product 'wisdom' and move on.

Seems that most of the time they just want to talk themselves into their decision, rather than hear what will really work for their issues..

I'm on the same page as you man...I just mind my own business unless the person there is giving me that look of desperate indecision. I have interjected with my experience a few times and find that most people can't allow someone else to know more than them, so they come back with the "I got it" as they walk to the cash register with their Turtle wax.

I've also had a few guys or gals talk to me about what they're dealing with and allow me to suggest something. I always give those folks my business card and offer to come out at a professional level and relieve them of the initial confusion and learning curve, but I've never been taken up on it.

dlc95
07-10-2013, 10:58 AM

Same here.

Also, the three initally mentioned producs from TW aren't bad at all. I use them from time to time. The Megs products are easier for me to use. They wipe off easier, and have a more refined user experience. However, the TW stuff got rid of 2000 grit sanding marks for my - by hand (I NEVER want to live that day again), in particular, the Prem RC.

dlc95
07-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Similarly, the paint supply store I frequent employ people who are exceedingly dogmatic on their views of paint care.

If I'm not using a rotary fitted with wool, and dressed with 3M compound I'm doing it wrong...

FUNX650
07-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Sometimes it's hard to convince someone to do or try a certain product.

This guy that works out at the gym I go to has a very nice newer Corvette grand sport
and asked me what he should put on all the rubber seals.

I told him that Duragloss makes an awesome product (531) that is great on rubber seals.

^^^Yes it is!^^^

He proceeds to tell me he picked up some dielectric grease and will probably just use that instead.
I even went as far as telling him I had some 531 at home and would let him use it and he still turned it down.

NOTE: The following is intended as a friendly head's-up.

Too bad you weren't talking to a Corvette owner that's a Genuine-grease-connoisseur. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/chevy.gif

First:
I would have explained that most "rubber seals" in today's vehicles are not usually "rubber".

Next:
To lube-up the EPDM (a type of synthetic-rubber) components, on Corvettes that I own,
I would have proceeded to state that GM recommends either:
-GM Part NO. (USA) 12345579...Dielectric Silicone Grease. OR:
-GM Part NO. (USA) 3634770....Weatherstrip Lubricant.

According to the MSDS for GM Part NO. 3634770...
This appears to be DuPont's Krytox GPL-105 grease ('liquidy').

If I want a 'thicker'-grease: I use DuPont's Krytox GPL-205.
Or the Dielectric Silicone Grease. Whichever is most handy.

Bob

JSou
07-10-2013, 12:03 PM
I've only helped an elder man once. We ended up handing each other our cards. Turns out he owns a carpet business, I'm having him redo our basement carpets and scheduling him in for an interior/exterior detail next month.

Only experience I've ever had.

Setec Astronomy
07-10-2013, 12:06 PM
GM has been recommending silicone dielectric since the 70's...IIRC it was DC 7. The Krytox is a new one, they have it on Amazon for almost $30 for a 0.5 oz tube...speaking of tubes, I found someone on YouTube lubing the window stripping at the base of the window/top of the door...that sure seems like it would leave a greasy mess on your window after.

KillaCam
07-10-2013, 12:33 PM
NOTE: The following is intended as a friendly head's-up.

Too bad you weren't talking to a Corvette owner that's a Genuine-grease-connoisseur. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/chevy.gif

First:
I would have explained that most "rubber seals" in today's vehicles are not usually "rubber".

Next:
To lube-up the EPDM (a type of synthetic-rubber) components, on Corvettes that I own,
I would have proceeded to state that GM recommends either:
-GM Part NO. (USA) 12345579...Dielectric Silicone Grease. OR:
-GM Part NO. (USA) 3634770....Weatherstrip Lubricant.

According to the MSDS for GM Part NO. 3634770...
This appears to be DuPont's Krytox GPL-105 grease ('liquidy').

If I want a 'thicker'-grease: I use DuPont's Krytox GPL-205.
Or the Dielectric Silicone Grease. Whichever is most handy.

Bob

This is why he was so convinced it was the best product to use. He is an older gentleman retired from GM.

From my experience, that stuff is a greasy mess and attracts dirt. The duragloss stuff or the gummi stick IMO are the best for seals. It's been about 8 months and mine still look great and bead water like no other.

KillaCam
07-10-2013, 12:37 PM
GM has been recommending silicone dielectric since the 70's...IIRC it was DC 7. The Krytox is a new one, they have it on Amazon for almost $30 for a 0.5 oz tube...speaking of tubes, I found someone on YouTube lubing the window stripping at the base of the window/top of the door...that sure seems like it would leave a greasy mess on your window after.

They also recommended Mobil 1 motor oil for my LS1 and I don't use that anymore and my motor runs great.

There are alternatives, some being better than the manufacturers suggest.

The dielectric stuff does leave a huge mess, that's the main reason I don't use it.