PDA

View Full Version : How to remove Water spots and scratches.

98QuadcabV10
07-10-2013, 01:05 AM
We just bought an 07 Volvo. The paint is covered in water spots and scratches from minor swirl to deep scratches. What is the best way to approach this to make the paint look new? Can you suggest any products?
Thanks.

davey g-force
07-10-2013, 01:28 AM
What products (if any) do you already have?

Will you be working by hand or machine?

DogRescuer
07-10-2013, 06:01 AM
Give us some more details

Machine or hand
Experience Level
Products ie compounds/polishes/towels/waxes/cleaners that you have
Be glad to help.

Mike Phillips
07-10-2013, 06:34 AM
What is the best way to approach this to make the paint look new?

The best way to fix your Volvo's paint is by machine. Clear coats are too hard to work on by hand.

Check out this thread... it doesn't really matter if your car is "brand new" or not, the article walks you through all the thing you need to do and has lots of links, pictures and videos.

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html)

And this one...

How To Remove Sprinkler Water Spots (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/31000-how-remove-sprinkler-water-spots.html)

And welcome to AutogeekOnline!

:)

98QuadcabV10
07-10-2013, 08:26 AM
I have a portor cable da sander/buffer.
My experience, I work as a mechanic but hardly do anything with paint.
The only products I have is a turtle wax rubbing compound. In my test area it didn't remove any scratches but did a great job on the water spots but also dulled the paint in that area.
Thanks for the links I'll check them out.

Setec Astronomy
07-10-2013, 08:43 AM
The only products I have is a turtle wax rubbing compound. In my test area it didn't remove any scratches but did a great job on the water spots but also dulled the paint in that area.
Thanks for the links I'll check them out.

<shudder> Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound <shudder>

Do you have any decent pads? If you do you can shop locally and try Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. If you don't have decent pads order some here along with those Meguiar's products or M105/M205 and you should be all set. Just don't expect the really deep scratches to come out.

98QuadcabV10
07-10-2013, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure the quality of the pads. It's just a 6" foam pad that came with the sander. I was in the store today and the guy said not to use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. He said it would be bad for the clear coat. Instead he suggested Meguiar's Fine Cut Cleaner. Which would you recommend?

BlackHawk
07-10-2013, 11:54 PM
The guy you spoke to doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. Dnt ever listen to he ppl at auto parts store when it comes to detailing. They have no clue how anything works for the most part.

Oh and do not use that white foam pad the PC comes with. Throw it in the trash.

M105 with a orange pad, M205 with a white pad. Get yourself like 5 of each. Also get some quality microfibers.

There are PLENTY of threads on here that will help you a lot.

davey g-force
07-11-2013, 12:15 AM
I agree with BlackHawk - that auto parts guy has got NFI what he's talking about.

However, since you're relatively new to this, I'd be more inclined to recommend Ultimate Compound over M105. It's about the same as M105 (slightly less aggressive) but much more user friendly. :)

Mike Phillips
07-11-2013, 10:09 AM
The guy you spoke to doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. Dnt ever listen to he ppl at auto parts store when it comes to detailing. They have no clue how anything works for the most part.

Oh and do not use that white foam pad the PC comes with. Throw it in the trash.

M105 with a orange pad, M205 with a white pad. Get yourself like 5 of each. Also get some quality microfibers.

There are PLENTY of threads on here that will help you a lot.

To the OP, the above is very good advice and I agree, the guy you talked to doesn't have a clue. UC is state of the art abrasive technology. #2 Fine Cut Cleaner is okay but UC and products like M105 have surpassed products like #1, #2, and #4 a long time ago...

Mike Phillips
07-11-2013, 10:12 AM

Get a cup of coffee or a cold drink and a comfortable chair and click the below video and Bruno and I will walk you through how to use your Porter Cable Polisher.

Concours-Series

Mike Phillips & Bruno Massel - How to detail your...

98QuadcabV10
07-13-2013, 11:11 AM
I wanted to thank everyone for there help and suggestions. I went out and bought the stuff suggested and couldn't believe the diffefence. I've only had enough time to do the hood but there is a huge difference. Only left the deep scratches. Thanks for the video also. I've always thought you had to move the buffer fast. It's the opposite for my application.