PDA

View Full Version : Rust

Pages : [1] 2

hernandez.art13
07-09-2013, 04:29 PM
What do you guys recommend?

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/B9268A87-211B-4989-8979-A7E4BF4C4218-981-000000D2C8FC19A8_zps33fe6ae5.jpg

Setec Astronomy
07-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Aren't you the bodyshop guy? That's got to be sanded and primered or rust converted.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Aren't you the bodyshop guy?

Agreed. Get it repainted and then ask which wax to use.

hernandez.art13
07-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Yes, I was hoping Detailing could step in and fix this. So I can avoid repainting.

zmanjohn
07-09-2013, 06:12 PM
:idea: Could you put Glaze over it to hide it?

:joking: I had a couple of those on one of my orevuis cars. Used the edge of a credit card to clean it up, got my maginfiers out and went to town. You being a paint guy all the steps to prep, your just now on a micro level...

BlackHawk
07-09-2013, 06:33 PM
well you can put touch up paint in there, but you would have to remove the rust shown in the picture. Ive done it before and it works fine.

hernandez.art13
07-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Yeah that is what I have been thinking, to sand off the rust down to the microscopic level, to take off the rust.

Then apply touch up paint, enough to wet sand out the blob then buff it out. Then sealant and wax.

And be happy with my results.

Just haven't done this before, if all the right steps are taken, I could save a a lot amount of money vs. paying to repaint that panel and blend also. Which would be more costly.

If repainted however I would have to worry about fish eyes, dirt. And letting a Body Shop Detailer touch my car.

They do know what they are doing however (in a way)

zmanjohn
07-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Art,
Take your time and apply a good rust imhibitor. I actually saw a really good video on You Tube the other day, but I can't remember where it was to send you the link. If you seach for AMMONYC I think you can find it. No rust but same process.
I am positive you already know everything that he will tell you, but, he shows the process, this might be all you need to get you on the right track.
Hope this helps, if I find the link I will send it to you.

zmanjohn
07-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Art,
Here you go, hope this helps.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmEhsuO2cKY&feature=c4-overview&playnext=1&list=TLhLJQ0jEZUjE]Wet Sanding a Vandalized Hood! - YouTube[/video]

Setec Astronomy
07-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Yes, you can certainly "repair" that without repainting the whole panel. You need to do something about the rust (remove it or convert it) apply touch up paint, and level it (sanding or langka).

hernandez.art13
07-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Art,
Here you go, hope this helps.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmEhsuO2cKY&feature=c4-overview&playnext=1&list=TLhLJQ0jEZUjE]Wet Sanding a Vandalized Hood! - YouTube[/video]

Yes this is the video that gave me the idea of repairing it myself vs taking it to a body shop. Plus I get to learn something new :)

A microscope/super strong magnifying glass. Pencil and wet sand paper is what I imagining. That and a lot TLC. I would also tape off as best as I can. Because burning through the CC would be catastrophic lol

Steps:

Magnifying glass/microscope
Sharp pencil
Wet sand paper
TLC
Touch up paint
More touch up Paint
More touch up paint
Wet sand, 1000 and so on.
Buff/compound
Polish
Seal
Carnauba
(Live with the results)

PTG will also be included to give me an idea of what I have to work with. I was hoping for a quicker Detail option from you guys. But this will have to wait for a while. I have been running back and fourth to College.

It is hard for me to multi task/that and looking for a new place to live that has a garage :)

Art

zmanjohn
07-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Art,
If you don't have time to do this right now. May not be the right way, but you could put some glaze over it for now. I have also just taken clear nail polish and put over the scratch. This will protect it until you can get to it. You just wipe lightly with acitone to remove.
I might be wrong, but that is what I had done and it worked or hid the defect.

hernandez.art13
07-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Art,
If you don't have time to do this right now. May not be the right way, but you could put some glaze over it for now. I have also just taken clear nail polish and put over the scratch. This will protect it until you can get to it. You just wipe lightly with acitone to remove.
I might be wrong, but that is what I had done and it worked or hid the defect.

The scratch I can live with, but if you look closely, there is rust in the scratch. The rust is what is worrying me not the scratch.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/052D81DD-8FD0-423D-8412-9ECEEC2BA396-1120-000000EF6114093D_zpsa815af40.jpg

Plus this is on the driver side door, (meaning every time I get in the car it stares me in the face lol)

zmanjohn
07-09-2013, 07:49 PM
The scratch I can live with, but if you look closely, there is rust in the scratch. The rust is what is worrying me not the scratch.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/052D81DD-8FD0-423D-8412-9ECEEC2BA396-1120-000000EF6114093D_zpsa815af40.jpg

Plus this is on the driver side door, (meaning every time I get in the car it stares me in the face lol)

Art, that is like a double whammy. Not only the scratch but alos the rust. GEt some of the finest sandpaper you have and put on edge of a credit card, just not the one you use for AutoGeek, and clean up the rust. Clean it out with an IPA and cover over with something to protect it until you get time to do it the right way. You will sleep better at night knowing you have slowed down the rust.

hernandez.art13
07-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Thank You will do, I shall proceed. :)

Way off topic: I just got more tattoos today 2.5 hours worth. The reason I am bringing this up is because this is how I imagine how I going to have to work on this ugly scratch/rust.I will have to Super Detail down to the microscopic level.

Like I said the scratch I can live with just the rust spreading is what worries me.

Art