PDA

View Full Version : touch up paint

alanguerin
07-09-2013, 10:15 AM
how can i get a couple of drops of touch up paint off of my 2012 black cruze that have been there for 3/4 months

Setec Astronomy
07-09-2013, 10:23 AM
If the rest of the paint is factory, and there are no other touchups in the area, wipe it with some lacquer thinner and it should come right off. Just don't splash it all over, and don't blame me if something bad happens!

Explanation: Your factory clear is a catalyzed polyurethane and is chemical resistant. The touchup is a lacquer that is easily removed by lacquer thinner. This is also handy to know when you mess up your touchup job and want to start over, and is the principle by which the Langka and Dr. Colorchip systems work.

erobertson
07-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Small amount of Meguiars Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound on a terry cloth can buff off the touch up paint by hand; use a finger tip to apply heavy pressure. The touch up paint will be softer and can be "sanded off" by the combination of pressure, texture of the cloth, and polish. Once you see the paint start to slough; lighten up the pressure and let the polish finish off the surface. Keep the working area very small about the size of a dime or you can quickly inflict damage to surrounding paint.