PDA

View Full Version : How to store your tools

_JD_
07-08-2013, 10:20 PM
First post in the forumn YES

Anyway, hello all. I thought I did my due diligence and researched this topic but couldn't find a clear cut answer.

So lets say you did a hard days work in the Detailing shop and you're about to close up. What do you do with your tools. Or more to the point, how do the pro's store their polishers/buffers? Obviously its probably not a good idea have the Flex 3401 or the PC 7424xp dangling by their power cords. So what is the best way to store them? Do you take the backing plate off? Do you put a non used pad on for cushion?

Sorry if it's a newb question and/or already been asked. If already been asked then could point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

Colinpd137
07-08-2013, 10:49 PM
For my polishers I have a wooden cabinet in which i close & lock the doors
4 Shelves, each shelve has the components, other BP's, & boxes they came in with the polisher (just cause)

GG3
Rupes 21
GG6
Rotary

_JD_
07-08-2013, 10:58 PM
So, you disassamble all tools before putting back in the closet? Wouldn't you go through more compression washers if taking the BP's off and putting them back on the next day?

c5errr
07-09-2013, 01:21 AM
i dont have a shop i did few cars and this is how i store my stuff

http://im33.gulfup.com/cvUT9.jpg (http://www.gulfup.com/?G0hxjI)

http://im33.gulfup.com/HdUVk.jpg (http://www.gulfup.com/?jwdAD3)

http://im33.gulfup.com/F6ywO.jpg (http://www.gulfup.com/?lqB1cI)

its a little bit messy but every once in a while i rearrange them

and i do have some brushes but i store them in another closet because no space

Calendyr
07-09-2013, 05:57 AM
This is something I am interested in too. Not only how do you store them but how do you carry them and how do you pack them.

Right now I have 2 large plastic containers with my stuff in it. It's not enough and I will need to get 2 more.

I am thinking about making the containers hold specific items as follow:

- Car wash material and products
- Interior care material and products
- Paint correction material and products
- Microfiber towels, Polisher pads, applicators and the like

What do you guys think?

Some of my stuff will have to be carried seperatelly like my hose and power washer.

Setec Astronomy
07-09-2013, 06:20 AM
I don't think anyone takes the backing plate off every day. You ideally want to rest the polisher on its "back" so the backing plate/pad is facing up, or if you don't have a pad on the BP, you could put the backing plate down (if the surface is clean, don't want to get crap stuck in the Velcro). Best not to put the polisher on its side or you'll crimp your backing plate.

DogRescuer
07-09-2013, 06:20 AM
I currently am wiithout a shop so I store everything except gallon jugs and vac n my car/trunk. I have 1 large walmart plastic bin in my trunk, along with using some smaller boxes from AG that we pay for anyway. Sorry no pics.

I keep my machine in a duffle bag on my back seat and my pads and polishes in a box on the floor.

Perfect no but I do what I can.

BillE
07-09-2013, 07:05 AM
So, you disassamble all tools before putting back in the closet? Wouldn't you go through more compression washers if taking the BP's off and putting them back on the next day?

Most backing plates come with a rubber cap, that fits over the threaded end, just use that. It not only keeps the washer on, but also protects the end of the threads.

If you don't have one of those little rubber thingies, you can get what they call...rod end protectors from most hardware stores.

Also good to have a few washers on hand just 'in case.'

Bill

Colinpd137
07-09-2013, 10:52 AM

Hell no lol, that would be redundant. I just place them in the cabinet. I rarely have to switch BP's if ever.

_JD_
07-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Wow. Super helpful knowledge. I especially like how c5errr had the bins with the drawers and the pads stacked against one another. I also got the concensus that it is not necessary to take the BP off the polisher every time it is stored. I like the laying on the "back" theory. Basically, I just wanted to get a sense of what we do with the items that we paid good money for and hold near and dear. I have my 7424xp in a bin full of towels to give it some cushion. Kind of like a bed. Then I sing it a lullaby before I goto sleep. Just kidding on the last one. LOL!!!!!!

erichaley
07-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Basically, I just wanted to get a sense of what we do with the items that we paid good money for and hold near and dear. I have my 7424xp in a bin full of towels to give it some cushion. Kind of like a bed. Then I sing it a lullaby before I goto sleep. Just kidding on the last one. LOL!!!!!!

Glad to know I'm not the only one...

Oh, wait, you were kidding... :)

rmagnus
07-10-2013, 11:03 PM
I use a 3 shelf cart on wheels and Plastic bins from Costco (mf towels/pads).

Bottom shelf polishers w/ backing plates face up, wheel/carpet brushes
Second shelf compounds polishes waxes,,,product shelf
Top shelf tape, Brinkman light, paint guage, heat gun, misc tools, Tornador Black, detailing brushes, working product.
Spray bottles hang off the top shelf and the handle.

Next to cart 2 compressors, vacume, extension cords, jack stands, floor jack, tarps etc.

Thinking I could use a second cart. All this is in my gargage where I do most of my work. When mobile I use the Costco bins usually 4-5 of them. One will hold my polishers (RB, 3401 & PC)

I work by myself so security isn't an issue.

DRT BRD
07-11-2013, 12:06 AM
I use a large duffle bag I have had for years. I have my Rupes 21, PC, Griots 3", and CG blower all stored in it. I have a very thick hard ABS plastic lining the bottom and then a foam insert to cushion the tools. All of it zips up has a durable carry strap. It's done the job for me and keeps all my tools I would use in one place. :xyxthumbs:

_JD_
07-15-2013, 12:48 PM
I saw one video where Mike was applying product on to a foam pad from a generic bottle. I wonder if would be feasible, logical, and practical to buy same size (32 oz) generic applicator bottles and use them to apply product instead. I also understand that this may be more prevalent for our "mobile" detailers then stationary detailers. Since there so many different brands, products, bottle sizes, bottle shapes, it just seems to eat up the space in drawer I store all my chemicals in.

I was thinking I could buy a product and transfer the liquid to one these "generic applicator bottles" that were all the same size and shape. That way I would have consistency and optimum space utilization.