PDA

View Full Version : Tire Advice

Pryor82
07-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Hey guys, have a 2006 Honda Accord coupe that's in excellent shape. I got a piece of metal stuck in the tire over the weekend and its going to have to be replaced. The tires are Michelin Primacy MXM4's with roughly 35k on them and about 6/32nds remaining of tread life. I bought them from Discount Tire in 2011 and they'll prorate the bad one for $55. I'm wondering whether it makes sense to replace the one or all four? As a former ASE master mechanic it annoys me to just replace one tire but by the same token the remaining tires still have some decent life in them. Thoughts? Btw, I have a Tuf Shine kit I'm dying to use and here's an opportunity....

Setec Astronomy
07-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Can you still get that tire? I just had this happen to me, I had more tread left than that but they didn't make the tire anymore, and I couldn't get anything with a matching speed rating and no one would make that replacement except in pairs. I was able to find the matching tire online (Tire Rack) so I bought just the one.

02xtreme07SS
07-08-2013, 08:04 PM
My 2 cents...replace the drive axle pair, in your case the fronts. Discard the one that is damaged. Keep the other one you are replacing on hand in the event you run into a problem with the rest of them over their remaining life. Then when it's time, either replace the other two or replace all four (discard the spare at that time as well). That tire has been around for awhile and I doubt it is going anywhere soon due to it's popularity, price point, and performance.