PDA

View Full Version : Teflon or Sealant, or is it the same thing?

billy
05-30-2006, 02:07 AM
I just purchased a new 2006 Jetta and want to protect the paint. The dealership offers a teflon coating for $199. I am not sure which product they put on it. One brochure said it was DuPont Teflon coating. Another said it was a MoPar product from Dodge. I tried to check out the website listed below but did not find out much info, except that they say they guarantee the paint for five years and the product must be put on by a dealer.

Has anyone ever had a dealer put a special teflon coating on their car? If so, how did it work? The dealer claims it will protect the paint against water spots, bird droppings, etc. Otherwise they will repaint your car.

Is this the same as a car sealant like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant or Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze?

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks

(http://www.teflon.com/NASApp/Teflon/TeflonPageServlet?GXHC_gx_session_id_=GXLiteSessio nID--3470898878064737558&pageId=/consumer/na/eng/automotive/automotive_home.html SIMONIZ® Protection for Your Car - Guaranteed!
Acid rain, bird waste, tree sap, bugs and other pollutants can ruin your new car's finish. Available only at new car dealerships, the SIMONIZ® System 5 Environmental Service Contract is the only paint protection system with Teflon® that will guarantee your new car finish for five years. More about the SIMONIZ® System 5 Environmental Service Contract (http://www.simonizusa.com/demoend.asp)http://www.teflon.com/Teflon/images/arrow.gif

supercharged
05-30-2006, 02:24 AM
I think the same thing is sold at Pep Boys for about $10......and they wanna charge you $200? ($190 is labor, I guess) Do yourself a favor - and order some stuff from autogeek for those $200. Wolfgang-Souveran kit will be the best sealant/wax combo. if you will let dealer seal your car - you will get a DISO....Dealer installed swirl option.

BILL
05-30-2006, 07:30 AM
I think the same thing is sold at Pep Boys for about $10......and they wanna charge you $200? ($190 is labor, I guess) Do yourself a favor - and order some stuff from autogeek for those $200. Wolfgang-Souveran kit will be the best sealant/wax combo. if you will let dealer seal your car - you will get a DISO....Dealer installed swirl option.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE, Buy your own stuff and know whats put on you NEW car.....stay with this forum and learn from these pro's...

you'll save money in a long run.........:cheers:

ScottB
05-30-2006, 08:39 AM
First of all, teflon has to be heated to a very high degree in order to protect properly as it does in cookware. Basically on any type of car product it is vaporware. Dealers typically use paint sealants and charge a hefty premium knowing that even if it wears off in several months your clearcoat should easily protect the finish for as long as any warranty offered.

And as a side note, paint sealants, are essentially synthetic waxes. They can be made of water (poly), acrylic (oil), and have a dozen other materials like ureathane.

Surfer
05-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Suprisingly that's low for a dealer (though still ridiculous), I've seen and heard of dealers charging upwards of $900 for their "special sealant" lol. Get your own products and do it yourself. For a laugh, ask them what's so "special" about their sealant vs a higher quality aftermarket one, should be interesting LOL.

FloridaNative
05-30-2006, 12:03 PM
I have been hearing alot of questions surrounding these new teflon coatings. In my opinion, it is a total sham. In order for the Teflon to be able to coat and bond to your paint it would have to be heated anywhere from 250-320+ degrees depending on which type they used. And anything that hot on your car would probably melt off your paint and clear coat not to mention any rubber or plastic trim pieces so they probably are not going to be heating up anything in which case the teflon is useless. The dealerships will always be trying to sell you something extra but don't buy into it. If you let them detail the car, they most likely will give you lots of nice swirls. If your ultimate goal is to protect the paint then I highly suggest you use the Klasse All in One and the Klasse Sealant Glaze and then top it with a high quality carnauba wax. The Klasse twins will give you months of protection for your paint and by doing it yourself you won't run the risk of adding swirls. Autogeek sells a great Klasse kit that can get you started and it's a lot less than what your dealership would charge you. http://autogeek.net/forfavkit.html
Congrats on the new Jetta! Enjoy that new car smell and feel free ask any question you may have. This forum is full of well informed men and women who's only desire is to share their knowledge for you to have the best looking car possible. Enjoy the new ride. :)

supercharged
05-30-2006, 01:00 PM
I love that new car smell myself...by the way - if you have leather interior I would strongly recommed Pinnacle leather conditioner to keep that new leather new. Just condition it every 7-10 weeks to keep it looking and smelling new.:cheers:

BlackRocks
05-30-2006, 04:54 PM
The sealant a lot of places use is a DCX(dodge, chrysler, mb) product from many years ago. I'm not sure what its claim on teflon is, but teflon in any wax/sealant is only going to help in allowing surface dirt to come off easier. There are several issues in getting teflon to bond to paint, least of which is the very high temperature needed to bond it. True teflon based sealant/wax is also going to give you a cloudy 'film' look over the paint if it actually adhered in a 'film' like property.

Todd

billy
05-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Todd,

Would you recommend a teflon based sealant/wax?

Billy