PDA

View Full Version : Help with my water extractor!

lunchboxmunchy
07-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Fellow geeks! I am in search of knowledge. I have a Mytee hot water extractor, however, I don't know if i'm using it right. I've tried to do some research and have proven unsuccessful. Anyone have any advice on to the proper way to use it with the best results and the best "additives" to use to help?

My "usage":
Fill machine with water
Turn on machine
Give a few minutes to warm the water
Use machine on upholstery
Follow with vacuuming to remove as much moisture as possible.

VP Mark
07-07-2013, 09:41 PM
If you are having to follow with the vacuum you might not be using the machines vacuum correctly. You should be doing 2 dry passes after each wet pass. The dry passes should be the same speed as your wet pass. Corners and grooves might need additional dry passes since water tends to accumulate there. Always pre treat the carpets with an APC or upholstery cleaner and mist each section before you extract. Go slow. If your passes are too fast you will not be giving the machine enough time to properly inject and extract the gunk out of the carpet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

lunchboxmunchy
07-07-2013, 09:48 PM
I follow the vacuum as an additional measure. I probably need to slow down. Do you put anything in your extractor's water?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

VP Mark
07-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Depends. Most of the time pre treatment is all I do chemical wise. If I have really bad carpets or an odor issue I will put a few oz of 3d extractor shampoo or megs APC+ in the machine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

CriticalDetails
07-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Fellow geeks! I am in search of knowledge. I have a Mytee hot water extractor, however, I don't know if i'm using it right. I've tried to do some research and have proven unsuccessful. Anyone have any advice on to the proper way to use it with the best results and the best "additives" to use to help?

My "usage":
Fill machine with water
Turn on machine
Give a few minutes to warm the water
Use machine on upholstery
Follow with vacuuming to remove as much moisture as possible.

I never put chemicals in my water tank and have experienced good results using Chemspec products. I like to apply one of their pre-spray traffic cleaners to the carpet and upholstery before my first extraction pass. After the carpet and upholstery are rinsing clean I apply one of their all fiber rinses to prevent browning.

"Effectively used on upholstery as well as carpet.

Experience has taught that leaving fibers and fabrics in an acid state after cleaning will help prevent browning.

Using Chemspec All Fiber Textile Rinse:

Stabilize dye systems.
Is safe for use on all natural and synthetic fibers.
Is effective in neutralizing urine residue (odor) prior to deodorization.
Effectively removes road salt and calcium chloride deposits."

The biggest thing to remember is to always use DEFOAMER in the recovery tank. If you don't the suds will get sucked up into your vacuum and potentially ruin your motor.

lunchboxmunchy
07-07-2013, 10:18 PM
I never put chemicals in my water tank and have experienced good results using Chemspec products. I like to apply one of their pre-spray traffic cleaners to the carpet and upholstery before my first extraction pass. After the carpet and upholstery are rinsing clean I apply one of their all fiber rinses to prevent browning.

"Effectively used on upholstery as well as carpet.

Experience has taught that leaving fibers and fabrics in an acid state after cleaning will help prevent browning.

Using Chemspec All Fiber Textile Rinse:

Stabilize dye systems.
Is safe for use on all natural and synthetic fibers.
Is effective in neutralizing urine residue (odor) prior to deodorization.
Effectively removes road salt and calcium chloride deposits."

The biggest thing to remember is to always use DEFOAMER in the recovery tank. If you don't the suds will get sucked up into your vacuum and potentially ruin your motor.

Where do you pick up your Chemspec products? Do you do any scrubbing?

CriticalDetails
07-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Where do you pick up your Chemspec products? Do you do any scrubbing?

I buy them online. The best place to find them is on a janitorial supply website.

Yes. You need to scrub a fair amount before the first extraction pass. During the second extraction pass you are only spreading out the rinse chemical so the scrubbing doesn't have to be as vigorous.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Pre-treat the area with a carpet safe, low foaming APC(Meg's APC+, Blackfire, etc..)

TCFatboy
07-08-2013, 12:50 AM
the basic rule´s for carpet & upholstery cleaning are: Pre-Inspection. Pre-Vacuum, if need it do some spot removel.

then it comes the Pre-spray part. given the 5mn, 10mn dwelling time. To let your cleaning product of choice to do his work

The next step, is to machine brush, or just Hand brush in case you don´t use a machine to do it.

This is the next step for you Portable extractor, some use only water, others use a rinse fabric. the Pro way, is to use the Final rinser

you will notice right away the difference, once doing the complete steps. Not skipping or cutting corners like it is say.

Final pass to try to extract the most that you can, and making sure you are leaving the carpet & seats not to wet.

I use a small but powerfull fan, to help dry faster the interior.

For products & special quemicals you can find this Brands really handy

you can use from a basic and cheap product, { Folex - Simple Green - Awesome }

And there is the Pro-line series products like chemspec - Prochem - Bridgepoints - Sapphire Scientific.

hope this info helps you!!

Detailing by M
07-08-2013, 11:13 AM
It sounds like your using it right, except for the "Vac to remove water"
That is the job of the extractor, so use your extractor more to remove the water.
I do re-Vac after extraction but only to remove loosened leftover dirt.
The carpet will alway be wet after extraction but not enough to justify vacuuming it for that reason.

Dr_Pain
07-08-2013, 11:15 AM
I gave you my best in your other thread :props:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/67246-using-my-extractor.html