PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get the Paint to Shine

FrankS
07-07-2013, 08:59 AM
I have a tan colored 94 Toyota Camry that was re-painted with the original color in 2008. The roof and trunk lid are the dullest areas of the car. I tried using Wolfgang Swirl Remover with cutting pads and polishing pads several times over these areas and every time I finishing buffing these dull areas the pads have a lot of black residue. Is this because of cheap metallic paint? The hood and most of the sides however are shiny and there is no black residue on the pads. Regardless of how many times I buff these dull areas, the pads have a lot of black residue and it is still not that shiny. Is there anything I can do to restore the shine or was it a poor paint job to begin with?

inDetail
07-07-2013, 10:03 AM
could be a problem with the repaint. sounds like it is either full paint or clear coat failure. Just because it's an exact color match does not mean it's what Toyota actually used to paint the car. If it's an outside car the hood, roof, and trunk take the most beating from the elements. If you had it done by a pro most places will give you a lifetime warranty on the work. Perhaps they were lazy when doing the trunk, hood and rough. I would call the painters and have them repaint the panels. It's obvious if the rest of the car is fine and the roof, hood and trunk are messed up they made a mistake

mpkav
07-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Where do you live? Sounds like you may have some bad oxidation. I bought my F150 from Washington State and the roof and hood had very bad oxidation. My truck now looks amazing. I used Megs ultimate compound (before I knew of all the other great products at AG). It worked though and I'm very happy with the truck!

FrankS
07-07-2013, 12:23 PM
I live in South FL and the car is outside all the time. It gets pretty hot down here.

ShaunD
07-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Sounds like those areas weren't clear coated therefore you are trying to polish base coat. Pics would help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online