PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed, supply list

Jok3rMS
07-06-2013, 05:34 PM
First time poster here and I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the forums over the past few months. I'd appreciate some advice on the stuff I'm currently looking into for detailing.

Citrus Wash & Gloss Concentrated
Optimum No Rinse and Shine
Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner Plus D103
Sticky Gel Citrus Based Wheel & Rim Cleaner
V.R.P.
Bare Bones Undercarriage Spray
Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer
Folex
1z Plastic Deep Cleaner
Meguiar's Glass Cleaner Concentrate D120
Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection

M105/M205(whenever I get a DA)
Black Light/Hybrid V7(figure this would be great for production detailing?)

I know I'm missing some stuff, such as leather cleaner, metal polish, etc. I'd just like some advice/suggestions on products.

Jok3rMS
07-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Feed back please

Jamieson22
07-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Bump.

cleanmycorolla
07-08-2013, 01:56 PM
You've got a good list. Good luck without a DA for now. Get some APC sprayers/bottles for different dilutions as well. And tons of quality towels, no crap ones!

Jok3rMS
07-09-2013, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I'm going to head to Home Depot and pick up several spray bottles for dilutions. Looks like I'll have some fun with trial and error. :D

goldendodo19
07-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Yeah, I'm going to head to Home Depot and pick up several spray bottles for dilutions. Looks like I'll have some fun with trial and error. :D

Grab some buckets too while you're there. The Home Depot brand sprayers suck. The head snaps off. The bottle is fine but the sprayers are awful. Just an FYI

Jok3rMS
07-10-2013, 07:02 PM
I was thinking of getting some Zep Sprayers, I saw the brand ones for like 98 cents and thought against that for that reason. Thanks for reminding me to grab some buckets too!

inDetail
07-10-2013, 07:30 PM
My 2 cents. You can drop the detail spray and get Garry Detail Juice or Ultima WW+. They will both do: QD, Interior QD, No rinse wash, clay lube,(you left clay off your list. CG has big bars for a good price.)

A good APC may be 2. Optimum Power Clean is good and can be used to clean leather. CG Grime Reaper is strong.
VRP cut 50/50 with distilled water can use as a treatment on leather, vinyl, dash and tires. Skip the barebones and use the cut VRP.

You can skip the window cleaner and grab fast glass towels from Car-Pro. No chemicals need and they leave streak free windows.

I never used Folex I used CG Lightning and it works great. Good dillution ratio.

CG has quality MF towels for a good price. I never got a bum quality towel and I always buy when the go on sale. Car-Pro has the cream of the crop MF but for the quality the towels are a good price.
Some MF wash and Pad cleaner wash may be needed. CG are both good.

Jok3rMS
07-10-2013, 09:39 PM
With the 50/50 cut on VRP, would it be more like a spray as opposed to a cream? Any good metal polishes?

erichaley
07-10-2013, 09:56 PM
+1 on the CarPro Fast Glass Towels...

One thing I wish I would have asked myself when I got started was "What is my immediate goal?" and then buying only the supplies to achieve that goal. Too many times have I bought something thinking it would fit a future goal only to find there is a better product.

inDetail
07-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Yes the 50/50 cut is more like a spray. I find it so much easier to work with and application moves faster once you deal with the learning curve. I use my wife's kitchen wand emulsifier. It will whip up to almost a foam and poor into a spray bottle. It will seperate after a couple of days of sitting. Just shake and spray. The only thing that makes it difficult is it's a little harder to put on a nice even coat. My only advice is to let it set up on rubber and vinyl and buff with a MF. The vinyl will look great. Nice satin finish
I use P21s polishing soap on tailpipes. Sometimes you need a little more kick like a APC to remove the carbon. I have used rubbing compound and #0000 steel wool to clean up some stainless steel tips.
With metal polishes on metal you need to do a test. If the metal has a clear coat on it a metal polish will trash it. Do a tiny test if you use metal polish and the test spot does NOT put black residue on the rag it's clear coated.

inDetail
07-10-2013, 10:18 PM
+1 on the CarPro Fast Glass Towels...

One thing I wish I would have asked myself when I got started was "What is my immediate goal?" and then buying only the supplies to achieve that goal. Too many times have I bought something thinking it would fit a future goal only to find there is a better product.

Yes do your research on products. You can spend $50 bucks on a bunch of products that just do one thing well or spend $50 on one product that does all those things just as well. Less products to store, keep track in inventory, next day FedEx because you drop the ball and need that product in the morning. Make detailing easy for yourself. IMO I don't want to keep track of 15 different chemicals, inventory, ordering, mixing.

Jok3rMS
07-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I expect to be doing a bit of trial and error but the suggestions definitely help. Not to mention, getting a few tricks of the trade. I'll definitely try that with the VRP though!