PDA

View Full Version : Painful tingling in hands after polishing.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Throop210
07-05-2013, 10:31 AM
I can do a couple panels with my Griots Garage polisher before my hands hurt to bad. Its the pins and needles type feeling you get after a body part goes numb. Is this common? Does this go away after time? I'm new to using a polisher and maybe I'm just not used to it or maybe I'm just a wuss.

Thanks
Josh

Paul Mitchell
07-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Have you ever been tested for carpal tunnel syndrome? That might be your problem.

Rayner
07-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Just sounds like vibration to me. Try gripping the machine harder. Also you maybe stopping the machine from spinning so its just vibrating back and forth, left and right.

It's surprisingly easy to stop a DA/ RO from spinning so you could draw a single thick black line on the backing plate so you can actually see it spinning or not.

If the machine isn't spinning it will exaggerate the vibrations a lot.

FUNX650
07-05-2013, 11:09 AM
I can do a couple panels with my Griots Garage polisher before my hands hurt to bad. Its the pins and needles type feeling you get after a body part goes numb. Is this common? Does this go away after time? I'm new to using a polisher and

maybe I'm just not used to it or maybe I'm just a wuss.

^^^Don't ever try to get used to something "unnatural" like painful tingling/numbness!!!^^^
You didn't have these symptoms before using a polisher...Did you?

Thanks
Josh
"Tingling in Hands" can be, indeed, severe; be chronic; episodic; even hereditary.

It could also be a symptom of:
-"Repetitive Stress Syndrome"
-The onset of nerve damage that is known as: "Peripheral Neuropathy" (over 100 types...including Carpal Tunnel)
-"Vibration White Finger"
-Forewarning of Diabetese (diabetic neuropathy)
-Bacterial or viral infections...even toxic exposures (what's in the products you're using to detail?)

Alarming as the above may seem...
Such "Hand-tingling", as you're experiencing, can also be benign and temporary.

I can only strongly suggest that:
It's very, very, very important to seek prompt medical evaluation for any tingling in your hands.
The earlier the underlying cause of your "tingling" is identified and brought under control,
the less likely you are to suffer potentially lifelong consequences.

I just hope and pray that any tingling/numbness isn't felt in other areas of your body...
The feet are very prone to suffer from this affliction. It's not any FUN!!

Also...
A change in what tools you use may cause a cessation of this tingling/numbness.
Even vibration-absorbing gloves.
Perhaps your physician can also advise in this matter.

Good Luck!

:)

Bob

Throop210
07-05-2013, 11:42 AM
You guys freak me out. I thought maybe it was just something I would have to get used to. I've never had any problems like this before and its only ever happened after using the polisher. The tingling goes away in 5 minutes are so. Thanks for the advice and I'll take it. Need to schedule an appointment with the Doc. I'll also makes sure I watch my pressure on the polisher. Maybe me being new I just end up vibrating it to much.

Thanks
Josh

mavin
07-05-2013, 11:47 AM
All fingers or only the first 3 and inside of 4th?

Throop210
07-05-2013, 12:04 PM
I can't really remember. I want to say its my whole hand.

Dogfather
07-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Try a pair of anti vibe gloves.

mavin
07-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Next time pay attention and see if your pinky is spared. If so, it is definitely carpal tunnel syndrome, caused by inflammation and compression of the median nerve as it passes through your wrist. Given that your symptoms are related to polishing it almost certainly is a compressive neuropathy.

The easy solution is to use NSAIDs (motrin, advil, aleve, etc) and a brace at night. Also place your hand flat on the polisher head, do not cock your wrist back.

If you still have symptoms talk to your doctor.

Dogfather
07-05-2013, 12:25 PM
You guys freak me out.
Josh

I wouldn't panic just yet. I used to get the same thing every time I used my weed whacker until I realized the head was out of balance. Fixed that, much less vibration, no more tingling.

ihaveacamaro
07-05-2013, 12:55 PM
How hard are you holding the buffer? Using lots of clenching force to hold the buffer can also cause that in my opinion.

hernandez.art13
07-05-2013, 01:09 PM
What speed?

CriticalDetails
07-05-2013, 01:39 PM
I can do a couple panels with my Griots Garage polisher before my hands hurt to bad. Its the pins and needles type feeling you get after a body part goes numb. Is this common? Does this go away after time? I'm new to using a polisher and maybe I'm just not used to it or maybe I'm just a wuss.

Thanks
Josh

You may or may not build up a tolerance after a while to the vibration caused by the polisher. I used a Porter Cable PCXP for the last four years and experienced the same problem after a few hours of use.

I recently purchased a Rupes 15 polisher and have yet to experience the same numbness in my fingers that the Porter Cable PCXP caused. I didn't buy the Rupes 15 polisher to keep my fingers from going numb but that was a nice added bonus. The Rupes has less vibration than other DA polishers, however the cost is hard to justify for a weekend warrior.

Throop210
07-05-2013, 02:01 PM
How hard are you holding the buffer? Using lots of clenching force to hold the buffer can also cause that in my opinion.

I do squeeze it pretty good. Ill lighten up and see if any improvement.

What speed?

Only when polishing on speed 5-6. Putting on wax on 2-3 doesn't seem to bother me.

Harry Da Hamster
07-05-2013, 02:20 PM
I had the same problem with the Griots. Switched to the Flex, much less vibration, no sore tingly hands. I'll be trying the Rupes next. Tried it for a quick moment and its smooth!