PDA

View Full Version : Need help with everything

rono
07-02-2013, 05:16 PM
I purchased at PC 7424 about 2 years ago with the intention of starting/learning how to details my cars over the weekend. Life happened and the PC just sat in the garage, how I want to start again with my schedule freeing up and nice weather ahead. I only have the PC with the 5 and 3 back plates. Planning on buying a 6 pack of lake country pad, but don't know what wax, paint correction, and sealant to get. We have multiple car in the house: black, white, gold, and silver color cars. Prefer products that works with most colors. All suggestion are welcomed.
Thanks

WillJS
07-02-2013, 05:29 PM
I've only been hanging around for a few weeks now, but think I can help out.

As far as paint correction, a lot of people have success using Meguiars M105 (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-105-compound-8oz.html), and following that with Meguiars M205 (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-205-polish-8oz.html). Also, if you are looking to remove swirls, I have had great results using Wolfgang's Total Swirl Remover (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-total-swirl-remover.html) (I would recommend the Wolfgang Swirl Remover Combo (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-swirl-removers.html), it includes the Finishing Glaze which will refine your paint and polish to a high gloss.)

For a sealant, I have only used the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html) and it produced beautiful results (especially when used after the TSR and FG).

In the end, the brands sold at AG will not disappoint you, regardless of what brand it is.

HateSwirls
07-02-2013, 05:35 PM
If you never used a DA start with the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound , it's user friendly, it would be hard to cause damage, do a test spot, 2 x 2 foor area, inspect and continue you.
I take it you have swirls?

M105 can be hard to work with if you never used a DA.
There are good videos on YouTube you can watch to give you a starting point.
Feel fre to send me a PM if you have more questions.

beamerstrumpet
07-02-2013, 08:44 PM
I suggest buying Mike Phillips book or E-Book PDF. all your questions can be answered by our resident pro for 19 bucks for the hard copy and a little less for the pdf. (That is what I did 5 weeks ago)

rono
07-03-2013, 12:12 AM
If you never used a DA start with the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound , it's user friendly, it would be hard to cause damage, do a test spot, 2 x 2 foor area, inspect and continue you.
I take it you have swirls?

M105 can be hard to work with if you never used a DA.
There are good videos on YouTube you can watch to give you a starting point.
Feel fre to send me a PM if you have more questions.
I think I might have Meguiar's Ultimate Compound in the garage, I've been watching and reading quite of bit, cant wait to try it out.

Theo_Auto_Fines
07-03-2013, 12:58 AM
If there are Megs compounds that I recommend I would start with both the D300 and the M100. I have used UC's and personally the D300 does a better job for minor flaws. Instead of the M105 which has a low working time and creates tremendous amount of dust I use either the M101 but found that to be too expensive so I opted for the M100 which IMO does the same job. As far as polishes Megs UP does the trick. Moving on to sealants Wolfgangs DPGS 3.0 and Klasse Sealant glaze are my go to products, though at times I use Megs Syn Sealant 2.0 and achieve the same results though Klasse outlasts the other 2.

rono
07-03-2013, 11:33 AM
any other easy compound to use?

Ryry11
07-03-2013, 11:51 AM
any other easy compound to use?

Menzerna fg400. Personally like it much better than 105.

jamesalanb
07-03-2013, 03:38 PM
I'm with Theo, if you need correction, try the D300 with the megs mf cutting pad. It's not too aggressive and has a good work time, and often you can follow right up with the sealant. It doesn't sound like you're an every weekend, after every storm kind of guy (please correct me if I'm wrong) so I'd def recommend a sealant like a M21 or a Wolfgang for lasting protection. over the counter you can get Megs ultimate wax and that does a great job on all colors. Many of these cutting products take some familiarity and getting used to, start with the least aggressive always, there's a chart posted in the threads. As far as pads, I'm still learning all the ins and outs, so I can't offer much insight there. Finally, kiss your extra spending money goodbye. If you're not the every weekender, you will be after a few weeks reading here and man, does it get expensive wanting to try things out and upgrading your collection, but seeing the look in your own eyes from the reflection of your door panel or hood sure makes it worth while!

rono
07-03-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm with Theo, if you need correction, try the D300 with the megs mf cutting pad. It's not too aggressive and has a good work time, and often you can follow right up with the sealant. It doesn't sound like you're an every weekend, after every storm kind of guy (please correct me if I'm wrong) so I'd def recommend a sealant like a M21 or a Wolfgang for lasting protection. over the counter you can get Megs ultimate wax and that does a great job on all colors. Many of these cutting products take some familiarity and getting used to, start with the least aggressive always, there's a chart posted in the threads. As far as pads, I'm still learning all the ins and outs, so I can't offer much insight there. Finally, kiss your extra spending money goodbye. If you're not the every weekender, you will be after a few weeks reading here and man, does it get expensive wanting to try things out and upgrading your collection, but seeing the look in your own eyes from the reflection of your door panel or hood sure makes it worth while!
Prefer not to polish the car weekend, more of once a month. Don't mind washing the car weekly though.