PDA

View Full Version : Pits after using Meguiars 105 & 205.

Pages : [1] 2

TexasFinest
07-01-2013, 09:49 PM
small pits in paint (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/67025-pits-after-using-meguiars-105-205-a.html)

Today I tried using Meguiars 105 & 205 combination. I used it with Lake and Country orange and white pad. Preped with blue clay bar

When I was done I inspected my work and all the fine line and scratches were gone but upon closer inspection I saw very small pits in my paint, I don't know what caused it. Could it have been too much product. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 2009 Dodge Charger SRT Super Bee with Hemi Orange Pearl.

On the other hand paint is scratch free.

Detailing by M
07-01-2013, 09:54 PM
The pits are rock chips, contaminate etching, ect...
They were there before you polished but now you can see them because you removed the dirt and polished the paint around them.
Not much you can do but wash. This is another reason to wash the car after using a compound.

TexasFinest
07-01-2013, 10:24 PM
They're way to many and tiny to be rock chip. There was nothing there but scratches when I started. I only did one panel and the panel next to it is pit free.

theblob640
07-01-2013, 10:31 PM
The pits are rock chips, contaminate etching, ect...
They were there before you polished but now you can see them because you removed the dirt and polished the paint around them.
Not much you can do but wash. This is another reason to wash the car after using a compound.

I agree, when I first corrected my sister's Lexus, it looked fine prior. After I was done, all the chips started to show and A LOT showed, especially on the front of the hood and front bumper. You didn't cause those chips when you corrected your paint, like M said, you cleaned them up. If you don't mind them, leave it, else you can always touch em up a little.

After that day, as soon as I bought my Super Bee I put a clear bra on.

hernandez.art13
07-01-2013, 10:43 PM
How do you guys approach these dents/pits when doing a customers car?

TexasFinest
07-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Yes, how do I correct them? There is no paint missing, just pits.

hernandez.art13
07-01-2013, 10:58 PM
You should post pictures

TexasFinest
07-01-2013, 11:16 PM
I will try, I took pics with my phone so I have to do some transfering.

TexasFinest
07-01-2013, 11:18 PM
I agree, when I first corrected my sister's Lexus, it looked fine prior. After I was done, all the chips started to show and A LOT showed, especially on the front of the hood and front bumper. You didn't cause those chips when you corrected your paint, like M said, you cleaned them up. If you don't mind them, leave it, else you can always touch em up a little.

After that day, as soon as I bought my Super Bee I put a clear bra on.

I thought about that but this was on my trunk. That's why I don't think they are rock chips...

mfergel
07-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Orange peel???

Detailing by M
07-02-2013, 06:12 PM
How do you guys approach these dents/pits when doing a customers car?

I told him the same thing I told you. then I sell them my Dr colorchip service.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AG Online

Michael Stoops
07-02-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm pretty sure I know exactly what you're talking about. Very tiny little pits in the paint, mostly toward the leading edge of the hood but not really anywhere else on the car. We see these all the time, and they are most noticeable in darker, non metallic colors but close inspection even on metallic paint will reveal them. They are indeed very tiny debris impact marks - far too small to be rock chips as most people think of rock chips, but they are debris impact marks nonetheless. They are so tiny that typical swirls and other larger defects conceal them. Once you've polished away the major defects these reveal themselves and, unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot that can be done.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Well said Michael Stoops. That is exactly the issue. I have them in my black BMW paint as well.

TexasFinest
07-03-2013, 12:33 AM
What about using a filler compound of some sorts (if it exist) or leveling polish to conceal them a bit?

Rsurfer
07-03-2013, 03:37 AM
I thought about that but this was on my trunk. That's why I don't think they are rock chips...

[QUOTE=Michael Stoops;902961]I'm pretty sure I know exactly what you're talking about. Very tiny little pits in the paint, mostly toward the leading edge of the hood but not really anywhere else on the car.
:confused: