PDA

View Full Version : Mike Phillips, your life may be in danger?

ArkayoDeetayo
07-01-2013, 05:40 PM
due to your huge stash of M16. I read, and as other forum members know, that the reason it is discontinued in the States is due to the VOC levels. If just having one can poses a health hazard and potential long term health affects, wouldn't your 50+ cans make in the highly at-risk group?

Also, for anyone who knows much about VOC (I did a search but did not find anything) how are you storing your M16 cans, and how do you store your other chemicals that violate VOC levels

As for my own can, any experts know if just simply Ziplocking it is enough to "keep the VOC fumes" inside? After reading more about VOC and their health hazards and danger, it is said that after a while the solvents and fumes release, thus causing the user to breathe it in and suffer from long term health concerns such as asthma issues, or even cancer.

@Mike Phillips, do you think M16 does indeed pose to the user and the household overall, since you seem to be knowledgable about M16, and you have the largest stash I have seen, or do you think that it is not an issue at all and there is no cause for concern? (I assume there should be some as it is not sold in certain areas such as the States)

I also realize this topic only will affect a certain few, as it is a discontinued product, and those who wish to get it go through other lengths to get it such as getting it from eShine from Canada or ebay. But for the small group who do own it, what are your thoughts on it? I am all for collecting waxes but not at the risk of jeopardizing my health or my families. Thanks

banzaitoyota
07-01-2013, 06:26 PM
I will help mike by offering to destroy err I mean store 1 bottle of M16

FUNX650
07-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Hi rock012345...

You have brought up a very interesting issue...to say the least!!

-As you probably already know, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has a website
and there are several sections dedicated to items such as:

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) and how they affect Indoor Air Quality (IAQ); and:
Outdoor Air Quality [formerly classified as: Reactive Organic Gases“ (ROG)...ozone concern, and all], as well.

-Along with a set some guidelines for respirable particles to try to
ensure our health is not ill-effected by non-VOC compliant pollutants...
The EPA has listed some products to be aware of their VOC's.

Items include, but are not limited to:
Paints, paint strippers, and other solvents; wood preservatives; aerosol sprays; cleansers and disinfectants;
moth repellents and air fresheners; stored fuels and automotive products; hobby supplies; dry-cleaned clothing.

They also have: "Steps to Reduce Exposure"

Here are a few:
-Use products according to manufacturer's directions.
-Make sure you provide plenty of fresh air when using these products.
-Throw away unused or little-used containers (safely, I'll add);
-Buy in quantities that you will use soon.
-Keep out of reach of children and pets.
-Never mix care-products unless directed on the label.

Even though some consumer products manufacturers have taken their non-VOC compliant products off the market...
Alas...
No standards have been set for VOCs in non-industrial settings.
(OSHA does regulates formaldehyde, a specific carcinogen VOC.)

And...YES! VOC's will "seep" out of closed and enclosed containers.

Now..
Even if Mike's stash of M16 would happen to be in California, Florida (or points to be undisclosed)...
I hope he heeds your: "words of caution":...and is willing to part with at least a few tins of M16...
In the name of health and welfare, as it were. I'd purchase one.

"Damn the VOC's...Full Speed Ahead"!!! ...would become my new mantra.
(Note: Paraphrasing of a Commodore Perry quote)

After all...
He's newly married; and, I've got way more years behind me than I have in front of me.

I feel compelled to say: Thanks, rock012345, for bringing this subject matter "to light"!

:)

Bob

mwoolfso
07-01-2013, 07:33 PM
This has an interesting mixture of prudence, assistance and darkness.

Tinwhiskers
07-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Damn you guys and your misleading thread names.

I nearly grabbed my M16 and loaded it with a 30 round clip. By the way, I store mine in my Liberty Safe.

Also, there are many VOC's and you need to narrow down which ones you are talking about the understand the risks they pose. All VOC's can be dangerous, even fatal, but its all relative.

After all, the sweetest smell in the world has always been rumored to come from VOCs. That odor of course being new car smell.

MarkD51
07-01-2013, 08:41 PM
I knew an old Mexican fella who was a master painter, Gilbert Murguia.
I used to watch him spray Glass Flake, with no mask.

And me like a dummy standing right next to him with no mask.

But Gilberto could lay down laquer like there was a paint magnet attached to the car, you saw virtually no overspray fly anywhere.

Ahh the smell of real Dupont Laquer. I miss that smell!

ArkayoDeetayo
07-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Hi rock012345...

You have brought up a very interesting issue...to say the least!!

-As you probably already know, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has a website
and there are several sections dedicated to items such as:

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) and how they affect Indoor Air Quality (IAQ); and:
Outdoor Air Quality [formerly classified as: Reactive Organic Gases“ (ROG)...ozone concern, and all], as well.

-Along with a set some guidelines for respirable particles to try to
ensure our health is not ill-effected by non-VOC compliant pollutants...
The EPA has listed some products to be aware of their VOC's.

Items include, but are not limited to:
Paints, paint strippers, and other solvents; wood preservatives; aerosol sprays; cleansers and disinfectants;
moth repellents and air fresheners; stored fuels and automotive products; hobby supplies; dry-cleaned clothing.

They also have: "Steps to Reduce Exposure"

Here are a few:
-Use products according to manufacturer's directions.
-Make sure you provide plenty of fresh air when using these products.
-Throw away unused or little-used containers (safely, I'll add);
-Buy in quantities that you will use soon.
-Keep out of reach of children and pets.
-Never mix care-products unless directed on the label.

Even though some consumer products manufacturers have taken their non-VOC compliant products off the market...
Alas...
No standards have been set for VOCs in non-industrial settings.
(OSHA does regulates formaldehyde, a specific carcinogen VOC.)

And...YES! VOC's will "seep" out of closed and enclosed containers.

Now..
Even if Mike's stash of M16 would happen to be in California, Florida (or points to be undisclosed)...
I hope he heeds your: "words of caution":...and is willing to part with at least a few tins of M16...
In the name of health and welfare, as it were. I'd purchase one.

"Damn the VOC's...Full Speed Ahead"!!! ...would become my new mantra.
(Note: Paraphrasing of a Commodore Perry quote)

After all...
He's newly married; and, I've got way more years behind me than I have in front of me.

I feel compelled to say: Thanks, rock012345, for bringing this subject matter "to light"!

Bob

and thank you for your always informative post. I always hope for your input as they are creative and entertaining, yet informative. Thanks Bob!

BillE
07-02-2013, 07:33 AM
I knew an old Mexican fella who was a master painter, Gilbert Murguia.
I used to watch him spray Glass Flake, with no mask.

And me like a dummy standing right next to him with no mask.

But Gilberto could lay down laquer like there was a paint magnet attached to the car, you saw virtually no overspray fly anywhere.

Ahh the smell of real Dupont Laquer. I miss that smell!

Ohhhh, so true. What is it about some of 'those' smells that we all like, like 'real' gasoline, they just had that 'something'.

Bill

Mike Phillips
07-02-2013, 07:56 AM
@Mike Phillips, do you think M16 does indeed pose to the user and the household overall, since you seem to be knowledgeable about M16, and you have the largest stash I have seen, or do you think that it is not an issue at all and there is no cause for concern?

I don't think there's anything to be concerned about except a government agency called the EPA and they are out of control.

bugguy67
07-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Ditto, mike!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AG Online

erichaley
07-02-2013, 09:05 AM
Careful, the EPA may be wiretapping us... :)

dlc95
07-02-2013, 09:14 AM
I don't think there's anything to be concerned about except a government agency called the EPA and they are out of control.

Right!

Inzane
07-02-2013, 12:01 PM
As far as M16 and VOCs are concerned, I'd wager that the concerns with that particular product were more around the production and packaging (melting, blending, pouring, etc.) of that wax, rather than the end use of the final product.

Looking at my collection of old discontinued products, exposure to dust/particulate from using something like Medallion Paint Cleaner or mist/vapors from Final Detail are likely more of an issue than any possible teeny amount of off-gasing that *might* occur from a jar of paste wax.
(Just using those two discontinued Meguiar's products as an example. No idea if those particular cancellations were directly related to VOC restrictions or not).