PDA

View Full Version : Need help trying something new

98hondaprelude
07-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Hey im looking into buying a buffer i been doing alot of research believe me but i cant figure out weather it is better to get a low rpm (600) variable speed rotary polisher or a high fixed rpm (3500) random orbital buffer for only waxing.
This is just a general question so please dont give me a response like what pad, paint, technique and all that i just want to know which is safer for a beginner. Im looking to only use it to make waxing faster, but at the same time dont want to damage paint\

thanks in advance

inDetail
07-01-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm pretty sure it's Makita that makes DA and rotary in one. I'm pretty sure you just flip a switch. You get both. I never used one so you will need to check it out.

mwoolfso
07-01-2013, 03:13 PM
if you are just waxing then the lower the rpm the better/safer.

98hondaprelude
07-01-2013, 03:32 PM
yeah thats what i firgured but from what i understand is that rotary is bad for beginners but will that drastic almost 3k differnce drop in rpm actually be safer or should i stick with the random orbital?

tuscarora dave
07-01-2013, 03:42 PM
If all you want to do is spread wax, then get your classic wax spreader type of orbital polisher from walmart, an auto parts store or Harbor Freight tools. I'd steer clear of the big 10 inch ones and go for the 6 inch ones because it will be easier to get into tighter areas without spreading wax all over the glass and rubber moldings etc.

If you ever want to do any machine polishing you'll need to step up to at least a Porter Cable 7424XP (PC) as the wax spreaders will burn up before making any real difference when trying to polish a car with it.

If you go with the PC you'll be able to utilize 3, 4, 5.5 and 6.5 inch pads and slow it down for waxing, then if you ever wanted to polish out any swirl marks or other paint defects you'll have what you need.

98hondaprelude
07-01-2013, 11:26 PM
thanks for the answers but still leaves me with my original question
is it better/safer to use the lower 600 rpm rotary or the 3500 rpm random orbital just for waxing

Tinwhiskers
07-01-2013, 11:40 PM
thanks for the answers but still leaves me with my original question
is it better/safer to use the lower 600 rpm rotary or the 3500 rpm random orbital just for waxing

I say neither. Use the money you would save and buy a really nice wax. Apply it by hand and enjoy the experience.

98hondaprelude
07-01-2013, 11:54 PM
going to use meguirs nxt already did it by hand a couple times and really want to find a way to do it faster.
so anyone got an answer?

Hazcat
07-02-2013, 12:50 AM
That's easy . . . a DA style for waxing. If I were starting all over I'd save my money on the random orbital only and get the Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher. If you'd like a barely used Porter Cable 7424XP I'd sell it to you so I could afford the Flex.

JTS
07-02-2013, 04:07 AM
Invest in the rotary, keep the speed down, read all you can, until you become more familiar with it. You can do more correction in less time with a rotary.