PDA

View Full Version : Paint Cleaner

abrcrombe
03-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Hey everyone

new to the forums and i have a question. I picked up the Meguiar's Paint cleaner, and is that like an intensive polish like menzerna? Is it okay to use the paint cleaner, then an intensive polish like menzerna, and finish off with a fine polish?

New to the hobby and planning to do a full detail soon. Thanks in advance.

ScottB
03-08-2006, 07:00 AM
I have not used the product you mentioned, so cannot directly describe what type of product and benefits to use in conjunction with it. Here is a breakdown of some great products:

Paint Cleaner --- Pinnacle Paintwork Cleaner, P21S Paint Cleaner
(not abrasive)

Chemical Cleaner / Lightly Abrasive --- Klasse AIO
(I dont find it particularly abrasive, but appears some do, it does offer some acrylic protection)

Abrasive Polish --- Poorboys SSR , Optimum Polishes, Megs DACP

I dont personally use paint cleaners all that often any longer. I prefer to clay, abrade the surface with a polish, j e w e l the surface with a light polish, and then protect.

abrcrombe
03-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the reply. I used the paint cleaner yesterday with my new polisher, and the results were actually pretty good. Its part of the Meguiar's 3 step process. I can't wait to try clay and the other steps that Meguiar's offer. Another question... On another forum, they suggest cutting up the clay bar to do the different sections, but the picture on the box shows the whole bar being used at one time. Have you used both processes and is one more successful than another? Thanks again.

Neothin
03-08-2006, 02:39 PM
cutting the bar in 1/2 will let prevent you from being claybar-less if u happen to drop it on the ground. you're never supposed to use a bar after you've dropped it. if you've dropped a full bar, well your SOL until you buy another. If u cut it in half, at least you have a back up.

JeffW
03-08-2006, 03:19 PM
I've used the Meg's Paint Cleaner and actually like it. It seems to do a pretty good job cleaning the paint without leaving behind any polish, oils, whatever. However, I prefer some that also have some polishing abilities, like KAIO, P21S, WG Pre-Wax Enhancer and 4* UPC. I tend to try to use products from the same familiy (a compatibility superstition?); typically whenever I use WG or UPC (my 2 fav products) and need to cleanse the paint I'll use their cleansers which are non-abrasive, and chemically remove the old wax and prep the surface for laying down a sealant or wax.

Cut the clay in halves or quarters.

MasterShineBoy
03-09-2006, 02:11 AM
The DC system can really give good results, some of us would be suprised what a $15 system could do!

roaringlion
03-10-2006, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the reply. I used the paint cleaner yesterday with my new polisher, and the results were actually pretty good. Its part of the Meguiar's 3 step process. I can't wait to try clay and the other steps that Meguiar's offer. Another question... On another forum, they suggest cutting up the clay bar to do the different sections, but the picture on the box shows the whole bar being used at one time. Have you used both processes and is one more successful than another? Thanks again.
Hiya, heres a tip, cut the bar into 3 pieces (ive noticed a fellow member saying cut it in half which is cool as im not dispputing it) alot of the detailers i have come across have mentioned to cut into 3, 1 for the exterior. 2 for the wheels and the 3rd as the other member has mentioed incase you drop it. As far as the paint cleaner i to have used the DC cleaner with good results but as it is only a mild cleaner it doesnt always get rid of the swirl marks etc, scratch x on the other hand is a more abrasive paint cleaner and when applyed correctly will decrease the swirl mark factor

ScottB
03-10-2006, 07:28 AM
Hiya, heres a tip, cut the bar into 3 pieces (ive noticed a fellow member saying cut it in half which is cool as im not dispputing it) alot of the detailers i have come across have mentioned to cut into 3, 1 for the exterior. 2 for the wheels and the 3rd as the other member has mentioed incase you drop it.

or just by the Pinnacle Poly Clay, as we offer it in smaller pieces, and they are sealed for that just fresh clay feel. :D (recent price reduction also)