PDA

View Full Version : What is the most embarrassing detailing incident you have done?

Pages : [1] 2

CustomLookz
07-01-2013, 12:47 PM
For me, when I was 18 I had a really nice looking truck. 2000 Chevy Xtreme, to this day I think they are the koolest little trucks. Anyway, I was waxing it with turtle wax (yes I know, I know, retarded) and I was putting it on super thick, I mean my truck looked like it was swimming in a pool of sea green, it was that thick. And at the end I got so tired of waxing it that I took a break after I swirled it up with wax and never buffed it off. Well the next day I was still lazy so I just ended up driving it around town with green swirls all over it! Some of the things I used to pull when I was a teen...

dlc95
07-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Haha! That was funny! Me? leaving wax on the car. At least it just on my car!

Harry Da Hamster
07-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Did that once as a kid. It couldn't buff off so i washed it off.

My most embarrassing thing was the first time i used Dr Color Chip. I told my girl friend at the time "yeah i can fix that easily" after reading the reviews about it being super easy to use. I didn't follow instructions and ended up with a bunch of paint blogs all over her car! Doh!

dlc95
07-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Wait, I had one worse than what I had mentioned.

A few years ago I did a Lexus suv. It was black with water spots. Nothing would get them out. Not clay, or a rotary with a wool cutting pad, and 3M compound - nothing. It was a mess. I just cleaner waxed it, and told him it was a freebie. THAT was embarrasing..

c8n
07-01-2013, 02:12 PM
I can't think of one at this moment but something that embarrassed my wife. In a crowded supermarket parking lot, I broke out my QD and MF towel and went to work on a bird dropping then inspecting it in every angle to make sure there were no etching.

I still don't understand why she was embarrassed :)

theblob640
07-01-2013, 02:33 PM
When I first tried to use a DA to apply a paste wax, I rubbed the wax against the pad and while putting the wax jar back down I accidentally turned the machine on and wax splattered everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Ceiling of my garage, the car next to the car I was waxing, the car I was waxing, and of course myself. Took over an hour to clean all that wax off the walls and the 2 cars.

BobbyK
07-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Sprayed down my windshield with Stoner Tire Shine instead of Invisible Glass last night...

hernandez.art13
07-01-2013, 03:38 PM
I was 10- 12 (around there)

My dad asked my to wash his car at the body shop I was working at with him at the end of a Saturday, that he managed at the time.

I noticed the carpets were dirty so I picked up a spray bottle and sprayed the carpet and started scrubbing. Turned out it was bleach lol.

I have more stories from that age,

I wondered if paint thinner was flammable. Turned out it was/is lol

Sprayed to much Armor All in the air vents and then radio didn't work, until they took it out and let it air dry lol.

(What can I say? I was a kid lol)

inDetail
07-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Graphics install on a Benz for a dealer. One of my coworkers grabbed the wrong IPA solution to clean the paint before graphics application and when he started to heat up the vinyl with the torch to soften it for application while the IPA was drying off the bumper caught fire. Thank god for insurance. That was not a fun phone call to make to the client.

CustomLookz
07-01-2013, 05:48 PM
^^LOL thats a good one

erichaley
07-01-2013, 05:56 PM
When I first tried to use a DA to apply a paste wax, I rubbed the wax against the pad and while putting the wax jar back down I accidentally turned the machine on and wax splattered everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Ceiling of my garage, the car next to the car I was waxing, the car I was waxing, and of course myself. Took over an hour to clean all that wax off the walls and the 2 cars.

I've done that while polishing the windshield of my freshly detailed car.... Who'd have known a 3" glass polishing pad could hold that much polish... Needless to say, I did two details that day...

erichaley
07-01-2013, 05:59 PM
When I was about 10, I remember my cousins coming up to visit from Arizona that summer, and their entire car was covered in a white swirly mess. Turns out their dad tried to wax it in the sun and the wax wouldn't come off... at all...

Harry Da Hamster
07-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Sprayed down my windshield with Stoner Tire Shine instead of Invisible Glass last night...
At least it'll keep the bird poop from sticking :laughing:

ryanbabz71
07-01-2013, 06:31 PM

Did that when I first got my cyclo.

Ryan

tuscarora dave
07-01-2013, 06:36 PM
While pressure washing a Ford Escape with the wand entirely too close to the paint, I passed over a stone chip and off came about a silver dollar sized piece of the paint. I took the walk of shame to tell the customer after the rest of the work was finished. I used her phone to make the body shop appointment. I call that a $441.00 lesson in how not to pressure wash.